British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Damn Bugs, Damn Plugs & Dumb TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/damn-bugs-damn-plugs-dumb-tv-240653/)

Lesley1020 Jul 7th 2004 12:43 am

Damn Bugs, Damn Plugs & Dumb TV

OK.... what is the purpose of these f'ing bugs???? And okay, maybe I'm just stupid, but in civilised :D countries like the UK we have removeable plugs to that you can have those lovely little hair trap thingies blah blah... took me 2 hours to unscrew the plug thing out of the bath and then I couldnt get it back in again... so I left it out - Duh - big mistake. Got up this morning went into bathroom and saw all these tiny little white worm like things crawling in my bath and the floor :scared: - thank God I managed to get the plug thing back in.

Bought some garlic capsules today for the mossie problem - lets hope they dont repel humans too - well maybe in some cases! ;)

Sad to admit that last night I sat down on the sofa, flicked through the crappy TV and once again got highly excited to see Hyacinth Bucket - ah good old Brit TV - even the crappy programmes seem great now! Unfortunately I can't get Dish Network as I have no credit history so they turned me down - boohooo when am I going to see Eastenders ever again :o

sibsie Jul 7th 2004 1:36 am

Lesley if you're really pining for Easties you can watch it on the net. UKnova is pretty good but you do need a cable modem as the files are huge and would take forever to download otherwise.

I've been using Avon So Soft for mossies (thanks for the tip whoever put me on to it) It's been working a treat.

Lion in Winter Jul 7th 2004 12:50 pm

Re: Damn Bugs, Damn Plugs & Dumb TV

Originally posted by Lesley1020
took me 2 hours to unscrew the plug thing out of the bath and then I couldnt get it back in again... so I left it out - Duh - big mistake. Got up this morning went into bathroom and saw all these tiny little white worm like things crawling in my bath and the floor :scared: - thank God I managed to get the plug thing back in.

Buy a large bottle of Drano and send it down the plughole.
:eek:

rincewind Jul 7th 2004 1:42 pm

bathroom and saw all these tiny little white worm like things crawling in my bath and the floor - thank God I managed to get the plug thing back in.
Sounds like Silverfish. I even had those in my home in England. Except they were a lot smaller :D

Try water bugs. Like a cockroach, but it flies. Found that out when I tried to kill one and it flew at me :scared:

Bought some garlic capsules today for the mossie problem
I love garlic anyway but never seen it repel mossies. I would suggest eating garlic though, not capsules. Mossies are attracted to Carbon Dioxide, so eating garlic may mask it on your breath.

Also, you can try catnip oil. It's 10 times more effective than Deet.

For some reason, the little gits have left me alone this year. Just the odd one or two bites. It's the ants that get me when I mow the yard :(

AmerLisa Jul 7th 2004 3:45 pm

Re: Damn Bugs, Damn Plugs & Dumb TV

OK.... what is the purpose of these f'ing bugs???? And okay, maybe I'm just stupid, but in civilised :D countries like the UK we have removeable plugs to that you can have those lovely little hair trap thingies blah blah... took me 2 hours to unscrew the plug thing out of the bath and then I couldnt get it back in again... so I left it out - Duh - big mistake. Got up this morning went into bathroom and saw all these tiny little white worm like things crawling in my bath and the floor :scared: - thank God I managed to get the plug thing back in.

Bought some garlic capsules today for the mossie problem - lets hope they dont repel humans too - well maybe in some cases! ;)

Sad to admit that last night I sat down on the sofa, flicked through the crappy TV and once again got highly excited to see Hyacinth Bucket - ah good old Brit TV - even the crappy programmes seem great now! Unfortunately I can't get Dish Network as I have no credit history so they turned me down - boohooo when am I going to see Eastenders ever again :o
Hi Lesley,

I understand your feeling with television here. I miss the UK programs as well. We couldn't get Dish either, because of lack of credit, so we had to buy the satellite dish and the receiver. It wasn't cheap, but hey its ours and Dish actually refunds the price of buying the stuff back to you over about 12 months I think. What they do is take so much off of your payment in credit. But a word in warning, although we do have Dish, we have all the stupid channels we could possibly get (180 I think) and there is still nothing on! I never watch the stupid local channels, I watch other things, but again not much on. BBC America is a rip off, but its nice to watch once in a while. But, if you want to see EE you have to pay an extra $10 a month - not worth it in my opinion. Good luck with everything.

Lesley1020 Jul 8th 2004 4:48 am

Blech. They're all disgusting. Some poor bugger in my office has chigger bites too - we all took great interest in watching her paint clear nail varnish on hers today - for what reason I am at a loss - and so was she except someone told her to do it LOL. She says the myriad of little red bites I have on my feet are chiggers or whatever they are called - but they're not they dont itch any more than mossies. I never knew there were so many things that bite LOL. Last night we had a huge storm and they seem to have come out even more tonite - like a carpet on the ground again. I swear sometimes I feel like I landed on a strange planet!

Sounds like your experience with the flying thing was fun - NOT! :eek:

Originally posted by rincewind
Sounds like Silverfish. I even had those in my home in England. Except they were a lot smaller :D

Try water bugs. Like a cockroach, but it flies. Found that out when I tried to kill one and it flew at me :scared:

I love garlic anyway but never seen it repel mossies. I would suggest eating garlic though, not capsules. Mossies are attracted to Carbon Dioxide, so eating garlic may mask it on your breath.

Also, you can try catnip oil. It's 10 times more effective than Deet.

For some reason, the little gits have left me alone this year. Just the odd one or two bites. It's the ants that get me when I mow the yard :(

Lion in Winter Jul 8th 2004 12:26 pm

I swear sometimes I feel like I landed on a strange planet!

You have.:D But the company's good.:cool:

rincewind Jul 8th 2004 1:42 pm

Blech. They're all disgusting. Some poor bugger in my office has chigger bites too - we all took great interest in watching her paint clear nail varnish on hers today - for what reason I am at a loss - and so was she except someone told her to do it LOL. She says the myriad of little red bites I have on my feet are chiggers or whatever they are called - but they're not they dont itch any more than mossies. I never knew there were so many things that bite LOL. Last night we had a huge storm and they seem to have come out even more tonite - like a carpet on the ground again. I swear sometimes I feel like I landed on a strange planet!

Sounds like your experience with the flying thing was fun - NOT! :eek:
Chiggers are nasty!!!

You can read about them here.