British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Damn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/damn-110274/)

chanty Aug 7th 2002 11:08 pm

Damn!

Thanks for that piece of advice, all my grand plans of doing this quickly and easily seem to be going out the window.

at which airport fo they give out EAD at the point of entry, because the last yime I looked on the website it said that Atlanta, and i think Boston where the best places.

And another thing that is pissing me right of is obtaining this police report, it say it can take up to one month to get the damn document, what a bummer!

Rete Aug 7th 2002 11:16 pm

It is apparent that people have not been updating the POE list regardless of the number of days a week I nag then. Neither Atlanta nor Boston have given out an EAD for over a year. You stand a chance at JFK in New York.

As for the police report, unless you live in an area that requires fingerprinting for the RCMP report, then you usually get it the same day or a day or two later. Regardless of that fact, the I-129F is not an overnight visa and once it gets to whichever US Consulate you will be using in Canada (Vancouver or Montreal) you will have plenty of time to get the long form birth certificate, former marriage certificates, divorce decrees, RCMP report, etc. The entire process will take from four to six month.

If you HAVE to work asa you get to the US, then my advice is forget about coming here. There are so many variables. Even if you are lucky enough to get an EAD for 90 days at the POE, if you can't get a social security card quickly you still can't work here. And if you get the EAD for 90 days and the social security card and a job, unless you are able to get the one year EAD before the 90 day EAD expires you have to quit work. If money is going to be a hardship and you might want to rethink your timeline and work a bit where you are and save your money for those unable to work weeks and/or months.

Rete

chanty Aug 7th 2002 11:25 pm

rete,

Thanks for replying so propmply,

First of all I am in England, and already have a social security number, but what I am concerned about, is the fact that you said that once the Visa has expired you can't work. So what after you get married and you file for ajustment of status, does It take a while to get work authorisation again. Or is it a case of filling for AOS as soon as possible, please fill me in. I don't want to get to the states and then my work visa is taken off me 3 months into my Job.

Please advice

Thanks

By the way, where are you, and what is your story.

Chanty

Rete Aug 7th 2002 11:54 pm

Sorry about the wrong country. Wrong side of the pond I see.

The K-1 visa entitles the recipient to work authorization for 90 days upon entry. That 90 days is the same length of time the K-1 is good for. Within those 90 days the recipient has to marry the USC that filed for them and they in have to file for the foreign spouse's adjustment of status. Along with the AOS they have to file for the one year EAD. The unfortunate part is that there is often a gap between the temporary 90 day EAD the K-1 is entitled to and the issuance of the one year EAD. INS has the right to take up to 90 days from filing for the one year EAD to issue it. So unless you marry and file for AOS immediately upon getting here you will have a gap. The only way not to have one is to be lucky enough to live in an INS office jurisdiction that issues them quickly and/or allows you to walk in your petitions and issues it the same day. Another problem is with 9/11 and all the new security checks, this is becoming increasingly rare.

That is why I urged you to read the full FAQ page on the K-1. Every little detail is listed there and is a wonderful guide to the sequence of events you have to follow.

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

As for my story, I'm the old lady (54) of the group married to a Canadian (61). We went through this in spring of '98 and I've been around this NG since December of '97 thereabouts.

Not much of a story and the website that printed my "yellow brick road" story is now defunct.

Rete

PEACHSTER Aug 8th 2002 1:29 am

Just wanna clear up something- you only need the fingerprints for the RCMP police certificate if you have a criminal record right? Or am I wrong.

Rete Aug 8th 2002 1:31 am

Here's the yes/no answer. There are a few RCMP offices that require prints regardless. Ottawa was one of those but understand if you go to the office by the railroad station instead prints aren't required. At least that was the last report. But normally, no you don't need prints.

Anonymous Aug 8th 2002 2:10 am

Re: Damn!

It was stated that automatic databases are the way to go when this database page was
set up by Jer. No human is needed, blah, blah, blah. The best way to collect
information is for a physical maintainer to read the NG and record the experiences to
enter into a page. This is how I have recorded info to maintain the FAQ for over 4
years. Automatic databases do not work to record information. The Resource Pages
ultimately will depend on "harvesting" information, rather than folks "donating"
it.Just my .02, byt my systems work, the others don't. Mike

On 8 Aug 2002 00:32:42 GMT, Rete <[email protected]> wrote:

>It is apparent that people have not been updating the POE list regardless of the
    >number of days a week I nag then. Neither Atlanta nor Boston have given out an EAD
    >for over a year. You stand a chance at JFK in New York.
    >As for the police report, unless you live in an area that requires fingerprinting
    >for the RCMP report, then you usually get it the same day or a day or two later.
    >Regardless of that fact, the I-129F is not an overnight visa and once it gets to
    >whichever US Consulate you will be using in Canada (Vancouver or Montreal) you will
    >have plenty of time to get the long form birth certificate, former marriage
    >certificates, divorce decrees, RCMP report, etc. The entire process will take from
    >four to six month.
    >If you HAVE to work asa you get to the US, then my advice is forget about coming
    >here. There are so many variables. Even if you are lucky enough to get an EAD for
    >90 days at the POE, if you can't get a social security card quickly you still can't
    >work here. And if you get the EAD for 90 days and the social security card and a
    >job, unless you are able to get the one year EAD before the 90 day EAD expires you
    >have to quit work. If money is going to be a hardship and you might want to rethink
    >your timeline and work a bit where you are and save your money for those unable to
    >work weeks and/or months.
    >Rete

Des Aug 8th 2002 7:55 am

Chanty,

which INS office will you be filing your AOS with? The time frame really depends, and
getting an EAD on the basis of
(c)9, i.e. being the spouse of a USC, can take up to 90 days. OTOH, the EAD is
usually valid for a whole year before you need to renew it. (as opposed to the EAD
on the basis of your fiance visa, which is good for three months).

In Boston, for example, you get your EAD on the day of filing, after the officer
takes your application and you paid your fees... In other offices, you have to mail
it in and get the EAD sent within the 90 day time frame... so it is highly dependent
on the office you file with. I would suggest you read up on other couple's
experiences at www.kamya.com as their experiences
are listed by office (from filing to interview etc).

- Des

Jennifer Aug 8th 2002 7:04 pm

chanty <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for that piece of advice, all my grand plans of doing this quickly and
    > easily seem to be going out the window.
    > at which airport fo they give out EAD at the point of entry, because the last
    > yime I looked on the website it said that Atlanta, and i think Boston where the
    > best places.
    > And another thing that is pissing me right of is obtaining this police report, it
    > say it can take up to one month to get the damn document, what a bummer!

Seattle airport gives 90 EAD stamp, 9 times out of 10! And yep, I hear ya about the
police report ~ took us 6 weeks to obtain it in the Netherlands (and that was quick!
We were told it would be 2 months!)

Jennifer & Peter US/NL