Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Damaged Mail Arriving From UK

Damaged Mail Arriving From UK

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:15 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Damaged Mail Arriving From UK

I had that happen to me a couple of times. Lost some newspaper and some cheqing gum.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We once received the same...however that was the USPS...I think it's customs that are opening overseas mail and they tend not to make apologies.
I received a package last year through DHL that wasn't open. Must have been an oversight by customs.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

In all my years here I've never hand anything arrive open. I had one thing a bit mangled, but it had been bagged and a note from the post office inside said what happened.
So I've now jinxed myself haven't I? All my Easter sweeties will be missing.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If family sent cards for the kid's birthdays, (UK to UK), quite often the cards would come to us unsealed, but the sender had sealed them and said they had sent some money, both notes and cheques, and the money had gone. We asked them to tape down the envelope flaps after that. Yeah, I know it's daft sending any sort of money in the mail.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:45 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband used to work for the Royal Mail. He said it most probably happened in the UK. I've never had an issue with cards mailed from US to US but I have had issues from UK to US. He said the Royal Mail are notorious for opening mail and packages. I'm sure it happens over here as well though.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update, a family member in Devon received a greeting card from the Manchester area recently which had been sliced open and money was missing. The latest batch of opened greetings cards I received were sent from Devon and not Manchester as I thought. So I am back to thinking my mail was opened in the UK not USA.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a couple of things opened by customs over the years, and they arrive with a stamp (the pressed sort) on the front saying where they were processed. And I've had domestic US mail arrived damaged and it's been in a plastic bag with a useless, but still thoughtful I guess, apology printed on the back. I haven't had anything clearly cut open that hasn't been marked.

Just a guess but I'd say it's more likely to be opened on the sending (UK) side. That's when packages sit around, saying "gift" on the customs form, or looking like a card which might have money in, waiting for the next shipment. Once the card or package gets to the US end I think it's pretty much mechanical/automatic.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl

Just a guess but I'd say it's more likely to be opened on the sending (UK) side. That's when packages sit around, saying "gift" on the customs form, or looking like a card which might have money in, waiting for the next shipment. Once the card or package gets to the US end I think it's pretty much mechanical/automatic.
The money was still in the envelopes that I received.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joto
If family sent cards for the kid's birthdays, (UK to UK), quite often the cards would come to us unsealed, but the sender had sealed them and said they had sent some money, both notes and cheques, and the money had gone. We asked them to tape down the envelope flaps after that. Yeah, I know it's daft sending any sort of money in the mail.
While in the UK my husband got a Father's Day card from his son, the gift card was missing. We then noticed that almost all greeting cards we received had been opened, the same was true for cards we sent to mum & dad. Then saw a Dispatches program about Royal Mail. We started writing on envelopes "No Cash Enclosed, Don't Bother Looking".
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:20 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - never realized this was such a problem. Have never experienced this at all myself, and send stuff back and forth quite regularly. We are talking about the UK here, aren't we? (Just in case I joined Nigerian Expats by mistake all those years ago...).