British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Damaged Mail Arriving From UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/damaged-mail-arriving-uk-753473/)

lj2 Apr 2nd 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Damaged Mail Arriving From UK

I had that happen to me a couple of times. Lost some newspaper and some cheqing gum.

Brigette Apr 4th 2012 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9983991)
We once received the same...however that was the USPS...I think it's customs that are opening overseas mail and they tend not to make apologies. :D

I received a package last year through DHL that wasn't open. Must have been an oversight by customs.

Mummy in the foothills Apr 4th 2012 4:37 am

In all my years here I've never hand anything arrive open. I had one thing a bit mangled, but it had been bagged and a note from the post office inside said what happened.
So I've now jinxed myself haven't I? All my Easter sweeties will be missing.

joto Apr 4th 2012 3:28 pm

If family sent cards for the kid's birthdays, (UK to UK), quite often the cards would come to us unsealed, but the sender had sealed them and said they had sent some money, both notes and cheques, and the money had gone. We asked them to tape down the envelope flaps after that. Yeah, I know it's daft sending any sort of money in the mail.

penguinbar Apr 4th 2012 3:45 pm

My husband used to work for the Royal Mail. He said it most probably happened in the UK. I've never had an issue with cards mailed from US to US but I have had issues from UK to US. He said the Royal Mail are notorious for opening mail and packages. I'm sure it happens over here as well though.

mandpete Apr 9th 2012 1:09 am

Quick update, a family member in Devon received a greeting card from the Manchester area recently which had been sliced open and money was missing. The latest batch of opened greetings cards I received were sent from Devon and not Manchester as I thought. So I am back to thinking my mail was opened in the UK not USA.

Jscl Apr 9th 2012 4:16 am

We've had a couple of things opened by customs over the years, and they arrive with a stamp (the pressed sort) on the front saying where they were processed. And I've had domestic US mail arrived damaged and it's been in a plastic bag with a useless, but still thoughtful I guess, apology printed on the back. I haven't had anything clearly cut open that hasn't been marked.

Just a guess but I'd say it's more likely to be opened on the sending (UK) side. That's when packages sit around, saying "gift" on the customs form, or looking like a card which might have money in, waiting for the next shipment. Once the card or package gets to the US end I think it's pretty much mechanical/automatic.

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 9995666)

Just a guess but I'd say it's more likely to be opened on the sending (UK) side. That's when packages sit around, saying "gift" on the customs form, or looking like a card which might have money in, waiting for the next shipment. Once the card or package gets to the US end I think it's pretty much mechanical/automatic.

The money was still in the envelopes that I received.

Deeks Apr 9th 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 9989126)
If family sent cards for the kid's birthdays, (UK to UK), quite often the cards would come to us unsealed, but the sender had sealed them and said they had sent some money, both notes and cheques, and the money had gone. We asked them to tape down the envelope flaps after that. Yeah, I know it's daft sending any sort of money in the mail.

While in the UK my husband got a Father's Day card from his son, the gift card was missing. We then noticed that almost all greeting cards we received had been opened, the same was true for cards we sent to mum & dad. Then saw a Dispatches program about Royal Mail. We started writing on envelopes "No Cash Enclosed, Don't Bother Looking". :D

tonrob Apr 9th 2012 10:20 pm

Wow - never realized this was such a problem. Have never experienced this at all myself, and send stuff back and forth quite regularly. We are talking about the UK here, aren't we? (Just in case I joined Nigerian Expats by mistake all those years ago...).