Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas TX - Help with research!

Dallas TX - Help with research!

Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

paddington_bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dallas TX - Help with research!

Hi all, I may be moving to Dallas in a couple of months. It'll will be a move through work. It's a great opportunity, but feel its moving rather quickly - I feel little prepared.

If you guys could give me pointers that would be great.

What are the things I should think about?
Can I use my UK drivers license? Assuming a car is a must!
Are there any sites you recommend for research Dallas as a city (video guides, etc)
Any differences in considerations when renting (cost (hidden or otherwise) other?)

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks

Last edited by paddington_bear; Dec 4th 2011 at 12:32 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:23 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas TX - Help with research!

I'll take the driving license bit! You can drive in Tx for up to 90 days on your UK license. After that you need a TX license. You can rent a car/buy a car and get insurance on your UK license. The cost for us of insurance wasn't really any different when we got our TX licenses. As a side note insurance is the US is shockingly expensive compared to the UK. To get a TX license, you go along to any drivers license office in TX, sit a written test, eye test and practical test. You can get a study guide beforehand. I studied as lots of the questions are about fines for 17 year olds. For the driving test I parallel parked, reversed in a line and drove round for about 5 mins. There is lots of evidence you need to take with you before you can sit your test, including your SSN. There have been lots of threads on here before about driving in TX so if you use the search feature, you should find more useful information.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Go to City-Data.com to the Dallas forum. You will get a lot of answers there about specific questions re Dallas. Good luck!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:22 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahead of all other concerns you should think about what visa you are going to be coming over on.

Everything else is secondary. Nothing else is half as important. Knowing everything there is to know about the visa your company is going to be getting you should be your #1 priority right now.

Once that's squared away we can talk about specifics of Dallas (where I've been living for the past 8 years)
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Dallas this evening and saw a guy riding a bike while wearing a snorkel mask. I admit that it's been raining pretty hard over the past 24 hours, but thought this was rather excessive.....come on over OP, you'll love it