Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas House Prices

Wikiposts

Dallas House Prices

Old May 25th 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dallas House Prices

Originally Posted by DaveC
Thought I'd give Fort Worth a mention as an alternative. I've been here 2 years and I love it. I've nothing against Dallas and I don't get through there often enough. The traffic flows freely here, there's a nice friendly vibe, if you've got kids then there's plenty for them to do. FW has loads of museums and a fair bit of culture. The downtown is thriving, the nightlife is good - maybe not as exciting as Dallas, but fun. They're going mad for building new apartments downtown right now.

We opted for the 3100 sqft mansion with a 3 car garage and pool. There's is lots of room where we are - they keep building roads to extend our "planned community" but they're somewhat slow at building houses. Between here and Denton there's plenty of options if you wanted some acreage but you'd have to watch that somebody didn't stick a gas well nearby.

You could also consider the mid-cities. I like Arlington, you can easily access everything in the Metroplex from there but the property tax is high.

Let me dive in here with a little plug for Keller (just North of Ft Worth). Been here 4 months and have the 3500sqft house/pool/spa all for $240,000. Schools here are very good and only 15min commute to work in Southlake. Taxes are high but mainly down to the ISD taxes for Keller.

By the way, one poster asked where to meet Brits around here....well go to Home Depot or Lowes on a Sunday morning and they're full of them!!!

I have a Union Jack on the back of my Yukon and my wife has "UK MUM" licence plate We're planning to fly the St George's flag for the football on Saturday (as long as the HOA allows it!).
Old May 25th 2005, 12:34 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Do you still have the cattle drive through town at noon every day?
Yes, there's a cattle drive through Fort Worth downtown area every day at noon. Quite a sight!

(not so sure why Snowbunny finds it so funny though... perhaps they don't have such quaint customs in Austin?)
Old May 25th 2005, 12:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, there's a cattle drive through Fort Worth downtown area every day at noon. Quite a sight!

(not so sure why Snowbunny finds it so funny though... perhaps they don't have such quaint customs in Austin?)
Actually, we celebrate Eeyore's birthday every spring.

In the summer, thousands of bats emerge from under a bridge at dusk in order to search for food, and loads of people stand and watch.

I think it's cool that there's a cattle drive. It just reinforces the difference in image between "posh" Dallas and dust-and-Levis Fort Worth. I'm more a tie-dyed t-shirt girl myself.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
We're planning to fly the St George's flag for the football on Saturday (as long as the HOA allows it!).
I live in one of the more draconian HOAs.... there is someone who flies both the US and the UK flags every day. People put out those little seasonal flags and fly UT and A&M flags on game day. I wouldn't be too worried about your St George's flag unless someone mistakes it for a Ku Klux Klan or Gay Pride flag. You might be asked what it is, and if you say "it's the flag of England" be prepared to hear, "no it isn't! that one's red white and blue, and diagonal!"
Old May 26th 2005, 10:18 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Tis true, house prices to wage earnings is pretty good here in and around Dallas and its burbs...

Sounds like some Brits have some really nice shacks if you are paying $240,000+. It was my first time buying a house so had bugger all to put down on it, but picked up a nice 1850 sq ft and got the custom builder down from $150,000 to $139,000 plus we had $5000 of upgrades and a $1000 allowance for a fridge/freezer thown into the deal.

Also every BIG house I have been into needs LOTS of furniture so don't forget that, it costs alot of $$$ to fill up a 3500-4000 sq ft house with nice funishings.
Old May 26th 2005, 10:31 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Yosser
Also every BIG house I have been into needs LOTS of furniture so don't forget that, it costs alot of $$$ to fill up a 3500-4000 sq ft house with nice funishings.
Um, yeah. Big parts of my house still look more like a college student lives there.
Old May 26th 2005, 12:16 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
Also every BIG house I have been into needs LOTS of furniture so don't forget that, it costs alot of $$$ to fill up a 3500-4000 sq ft house
Tell me about it. We bought a bigger house than we need right now so we wouldn't have to move up a level when our second kiddo arrives. My daughter's little friends love to come over here and run around as there are a couple of rooms we can't afford to furnish yet so there's plenty of room.

Maybe when Ikea opens in the metroplex this summer we might get some more stuff. If we can get near to Ikea with all the traffic, that is!
Old May 27th 2005, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Let me dive in here with a little plug for Keller (just North of Ft Worth). Been here 4 months and have the 3500sqft house/pool/spa all for $240,000. Schools here are very good and only 15min commute to work in Southlake. Taxes are high but mainly down to the ISD taxes for Keller.

By the way, one poster asked where to meet Brits around here....well go to Home Depot or Lowes on a Sunday morning and they're full of them!!!

I have a Union Jack on the back of my Yukon and my wife has "UK MUM" licence plate We're planning to fly the St George's flag for the football on Saturday (as long as the HOA allows it!).

Hey there - I would second that shout for Keller - we have been here 9 months and love it - for the price of a semi in Chester we have a sizeable house we still get lost in!!!

paul_tx i will look out for your Yukon - i have Durrango with GB on!! Where abouts you based?
Old May 27th 2005, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Actually, we celebrate Eeyore's birthday every spring.
... and Spam-o-rama, and Rib-o-rama, and the Schlotzsky's Bun Run, and the Austin City Limits festival, and the Trail of Lights 5K, the Keep Austin Weird 5K, the Craft Brewers Festival, the Pecan Street Bazaar, to name but a few.

Just don't move here, as my missus says.
Old May 27th 2005, 6:19 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Britdrinker

Just don't move here, as my missus says.
Oh yeah....

erm, Austin sucks. There is absolutely nothing going on here, don't even bother to visit.
Old May 27th 2005, 7:54 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oh yeah....

erm, Austin sucks. There is absolutely nothing going on here, don't even bother to visit.
That's the spirit
Old May 27th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Big D
Hey there - I would second that shout for Keller - we have been here 9 months and love it - for the price of a semi in Chester we have a sizeable house we still get lost in!!!

paul_tx i will look out for your Yukon - i have Durrango with GB on!! Where abouts you based?

We're in Saddlebrook, just off Keller Parkway. I'll be watching for the Durango!