Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas & Forth Worth - Is there green/woods/shade?

Dallas & Forth Worth - Is there green/woods/shade?

Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:32 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all
Default Dallas & Forth Worth - Is there green/woods/shade?

Is the Dallas or Fort Worth landscape green at all (in the sense of trees, woodlands, shade, etc., not in the ecological sense)?

I realize it is a hot area, but I just wanted to know if that is all it is.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas & Forth Worth - Is there green/woods/shade?

Apparently they have a botanical gardens http://www.360ftworth.com/Attraction...nicGarden.html Who knew I imagined all brown dry and hot.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:28 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lots and lots of trees and woods and shade. Far more than in most cities. The suburban streets are all tree-lined, with Red Oak, Bradford Pears and Live Oaks all popular in front yards. The many parks all over the DFW Metroplex tend to be a mixture of Live Oaks, Pecans and various larger Oak species.

Don't for a moment think that Dallas is arid or desert - these were prairies before the city was built, and the thousands of little creeks still support bands of trees all over the city.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Just zoom in on Google Maps to any block outside of the Dallas city center, and you'll see the density of trees and woodland.

Google Maps
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, lots and lots of trees and woods and shade. Far more than in most cities. The suburban streets are all tree-lined, with Red Oak, Bradford Pears and Live Oaks all popular in front yards. The many parks all over the DFW Metroplex tend to be a mixture of Live Oaks, Pecans and various larger Oak species.

Don't for a moment think that Dallas is arid or desert - these were prairies before the city was built, and the thousands of little creeks still support bands of trees all over the city.
Yep, I can second that! Very lush and green, although the fields do get a bit brown by the end of the summer. Lots of oak trees and areas of where i live remind me very much of the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:19 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Thanks,
I did try the Google thing but its not very clear nor is the maps module easy to use on my computer.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:00 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Volt61
Thanks,
I did try the Google thing but its not very clear nor is the maps module easy to use on my computer.
Really? How are you with shoelaces?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:15 pm
Banned

Really? How are you with shoelaces?
It took quite a few years to master that skill, along with tie tying, seat belt fastening and locking doors, but I'm a black belt master with these now

Seriously, Google maps is a pig of an app on my computer, at least when I'm in the satellite view, so I can't really use it.

Where abouts are you in FW and which areas do you recommend ?

Last edited by Volt61; Jun 15th 2010 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas has a good deal of rain - Check out this site where you can compare any two cities, and then look at highs, lows, and rainfall.

The image below is a sample of the rainfall comparison between Dallas and London.
Attached Thumbnails Dallas & Forth Worth - Is there green/woods/shade?-weather-dallas-london-rainfall.jpg