Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas fort worth area Keller?

Dallas fort worth area Keller?

Old May 19th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice
Default Dallas fort worth area Keller?

Hi,

so today we have been told that our move will be to Dallas Texas. We should be moving end of July/August as soon as visa's are approved..

been looking at the following area's that are a good commute to husbands work and airport. Top priority, safe neighbourhood & good schools for our sons, 7yrs and 4 yrs. However because I intend to return to college rental house budget is 1500 per month (can be stretched a little)

so been looking at area's west of the Dallas fort worth Airport.

Fell in love with Southlake and Colleyville but then I seen the rental prices.

So was looking at Keller? as I have read the Keller ISD schools are better? also was looking a Coppell?

Anyone have any further suggestions on towns, area's I may have missed that may be suited to our needs/budget.

Or any information on what to expect moving to Dallas.. Very excited... after spending the last 2 years in Germany we can't wait to escape!

TY
Old May 20th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas fort worth area Keller?

Your best bet is to post on city-data.com for this question. There are tons of threads already there about Keller ISD. Good luck and enjoy north Texas!
Old May 21st 2012, 5:54 am
Banned

celinaB is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you. You can get more answers at city-data.com
Old May 21st 2012, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Thank you x
Old May 21st 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryff31
Thank you x
Also, take a look at www.greatschools.org
Old May 21st 2012, 11:54 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Wasn't there another thread about this area recently?
My experience of that area was 10 years ago, but FWIW, all those neighborhoods west of DFW such as Southlake, Keller etc. are safe and prosperous with reasonable schools and are very Republican and Christian (Baptist, evangelical). All have big houses (too big in fact) and very high property taxes (which if you're renting is just hidden in the rental cost). Texas rasies most of its tax revenue through property BTW. Big houses = big heating and cooling bills. Scorching hot in summer and surprisingly cold in winter. The whole Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex wasn't my cup of tea, so after two years in the general vicinity of Keller I was glad to escape. YMMV.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:59 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

oh, and one other thing... alcohol licensing laws in Tarrant county are a complete patchwork. Some areas are totally dry, others wet and some in-between. Do your research if you like a beer or two. Keller is wet BTW.
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:42 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Where will your husband be working?

Personally I'd go with Plano. Great schools, reasonable rents if you pick your area, and ~45 mins from the airport on the 121.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Where will your husband be working?

Personally I'd go with Plano. Great schools, reasonable rents if you pick your area, and ~45 mins from the airport on the 121.
I hear there's some really dodgy people in Plano though
Old May 23rd 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice

What a surprise to see a thread posted about Keller, TX! I grew up in Keller when it was a one stoplight town. We actually tried moving back there a few years ago and were totally miserable. Texas, in general, was not my cup of tea.

As someone mentioned, the houses are too big and everything seems so wasteful. But I digress and that is a problem everywhere.

Keller is a nice town even if it has gotten a bit big. There are some lovely older neighborhoods near Bear Creek Park if you do not want a mega-house. These happen to be near the community center, which is really nice. The schools are pretty good. I would stay away from the NW portion of Keller or really Fort Worth (it is Fort Worth land but Keller schools - just the way it works in TX, school districts do not follow city lines). Fort Worth built loads of houses but did not put in enough in enough roads for people to go in and out of. Big ole traffic mess.

Colleyville/Southlake is expensive but I must admit, their schools are top notch. They have absolutely everything you could ever want in a school. The extracurricular activities are amazing and the educational opportunities are 'wow'! (my nieces are in this school district). If the education system is your top priority and you can spare a bit of extra cash, definitely try there. Be warned though - the attitude there is definitely one revolved around money.

Hope this helps a bit!
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

big_j is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryff31
Anyone have any further suggestions on towns, area's I may have missed that may be suited to our needs/budget.

Or any information on what to expect moving to Dallas.. Very excited... after spending the last 2 years in Germany we can't wait to escape!

TY
Welcome to Dallas! I moved here from London 12 years ago, and love it. You have to like the heat though ( which I do).

You might want to look at Grapevine for rentals; close to Colleyville and Southlake but not quite so pricey. All the areas you mention are convenient for DFW airport, and being in the mid-cities you are in easy traveling distance to Dallas, Fort Worth and also Arlington (if you want to immerse yourself in local sports and watch the Cowboys or Rangers).
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
Occasionally here

Originally Posted by big_j
Welcome to Dallas! I moved here from London 12 years ago, and love it. You have to like the heat though ( which I do).
Yes, but you need to warn newcomers that it can get damn cold too! The years I lived there I saw 108 F summer and 15 F winter. I was prepared for the heat, but not the cold.
BTW I loved those funny 'bra cup' insulator thingies they put on the outside water spigots in the winter. I'd never seen those before living in Texas.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

big_j is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Yes, but you need to warn newcomers that it can get damn cold too! The years I lived there I saw 108 F summer and 15 F winter. I was prepared for the heat, but not the cold.
BTW I loved those funny 'bra cup' insulator thingies they put on the outside water spigots in the winter. I'd never seen those before living in Texas.
Yes indeed, it can get cold in the winter. February is usually the coldest month. 15 is very rare, though; bad luck!

This winter was exceptionally warm; in my area of the metroplex, we didn't see any ice or snow at all, first time that's happened since I've been here. We normally get some snowfall and ice.

The spigots tend to be square these days, limiting the lingerie comparison somewhat.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:01 am
Occasionally here

Originally Posted by big_j
The spigots tend to be square these days, limiting the lingerie comparison somewhat.
My kids made pointy 'Madonna bras' out of the square ones

Yeah, it was 2002/3/4. Had 4 inches of snow one year too. Took me a while to find my woolly hat and gloves. Once upon a time I lived in Quebec which was absolutely freaking insanely cold, then I moved to Florida, then to Texas. After Florida I think I turned cold blooded or something because now anything less than 60 is where hell freezes over.