Dallas

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dallas

I've got to pop over to the UK for a couple of weeks, towards the end of the month. To save money, I'm using miles for the flights, but that means I'm going to have to spend a Saturday night in Dallas.

In the past, I've just kipped at an airport hotel, but I'm thinking, as I've never been to Dallas, I might get one in town, have a sniff around. There's one downtown and one in Market Center that I can get for bugger all Starwood points.

So... what's to do in Dallas? Any tips gratefully received.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:29 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice
Default Re: Dallas

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I've got to pop over to the UK for a couple of weeks, towards the end of the month. To save money, I'm using miles for the flights, but that means I'm going to have to spend a Saturday night in Dallas.

In the past, I've just kipped at an airport hotel, but I'm thinking, as I've never been to Dallas, I might get one in town, have a sniff around. There's one downtown and one in Market Center that I can get for bugger all Starwood points.

I've only spent a day in Dallas. Went to the JFK spot, and saw some big models of bulls. I think that was about it. Someone else will better qualified to answer than me I think!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Pssst......Top Tip for yer:

LEAVE THE GUNS AT HOME!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Pssst......Top Tip for yer:

LEAVE THE GUNS AT HOME!

It's going to feel a bit weird, in England, walking around without any guns...

Perhaps I can borrow one off a 10 year old?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Leslie to the white courtesy phone...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Steak!

Or Veggie chili.

Google/Yelp a few nice eats!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Soccer Ref will become famous soon enough

I stayed at the Southfork Hotel, and visited the Southfork Ranch, and (one of my favourite tourist places ever) the Kennedy Museum at the Texas Book Depository. Stood on the grassy knoll and everything. There is a Hard Rock Cafe just round the corner too. The shopping Mall (Galleria) is also really good.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:50 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We ran away to Dallas during Hurricane Ike - we went to the Galleria for shopping and ice skating and then Medieval Times for dinner
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be another vote for the 6th Floor Museum in the book depository - I like it there and think it's pretty interesting... you'll have to let us know if you think he could have made the shot....

That's near the 'West End' area which has all manner of restaurants (not sure about bars as such...) including the house of blues -

http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/clubvenues/dallas/ - I've not been there myself, but might try it next time we've got visitors.

If you head out of downtown, Addison is an area with lots of bars / pub type places. The Flying Saucer is OK as are a couple of others.

There's also the arts district in Dallas - the museum of art, the myerson - you could see what's on when you're here...

Just noticed that 'Bodies' the exhibition is currently on too ... http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/dallas/

Last edited by rebs; Jan 12th 2010 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you gonna have your car?

Are we talking a few hours to burn or a whole day?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Are you gonna have your car?

Are we talking a few hours to burn or a whole day?
No car. I'll be off a flight from London around 5PM on a Saturday and on another flight the following morning.

I fancy a look at Dealy Plaza, but will prob be too late to get into the book depository.

Other than that, booze is probably favourite...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

No car. I'll be off a flight from London around 5PM on a Saturday and on another flight the following morning.

I fancy a look at Dealy Plaza, but will prob be too late to get into the book depository.

check to see if there's anything on at the American Airlines Arena as it's a short walk from downtown.
Plenty of bars and restaurants of you're after some alchohol!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It will be too late and that's too bad ... it's pretty great.

Given your constraints this will be your best bet:

http://www.dallaswestend.org/Entertainment.aspx

You can get a nice steak at Butcher's or Hoffbrau and then bar hop.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It will be too late and that's too bad ... it's pretty great.

Given your constraints this will be your best bet:

http://www.dallaswestend.org/Entertainment.aspx

You can get a nice steak at Butcher's or Hoffbrau and then bar hop.
Thanks. Seems like the hotel at Young & Griffin is my best bet, then. It's non-smoking, but what do I want for 3000 SPG points?

I think I'll try Butcher's - we've got a Hoffbrau in Amarillo.

If you, or any other folks in the area fancy a swift half, by all means PM me.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

You could get on the pop in Deep Ellum...but don't stray from the beaten path, or you might wish you had your guns with you!

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 13th 2010 at 12:41 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.