British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Daily Telegraph - Brits moving to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/daily-telegraph-brits-moving-usa-430373/)

TRPardoe Feb 25th 2007 1:05 pm

Daily Telegraph - Brits moving to the USA

This article echoes what lots of us say in our advice here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...turalshoke.xml

Bob Feb 25th 2007 6:46 pm

Re: Daily Telegraph - Brits moving to the USA

A lot of that is so true....who'd have thunk'ed it eh.

Deedee13 Feb 25th 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4453715)
A lot of that is so true....who'd have thunk'ed it eh.

went to a gun show yesterday my 12 year old daughter went around with her Gob wide open wondering if aliens had landed...... so this article made me smile....... might be the same language but were worlds apart.... they work their ass off.... and they seem to work till they die.. what happened to retirement and a cottage by the sea.................

TouristTrap Feb 25th 2007 9:24 pm

I loved the bit about being invited to the boss' house for dinner :D

Dan725 Feb 25th 2007 11:36 pm

Agree with most of that apart from this bit:

"Another factor that causes pause for thought is the strength of anti-harassment and non-discrimination policies in the American workplace. In fact, many companies provide employee hotlines where complaints can be made anonymously".

- In my experience, there is far more of that protection in the UK (that is taken seriously). As a worker here you have next to no rights.

TRPardoe Feb 26th 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 4454555)
Agree with most of that apart from this bit:

"Another factor that causes pause for thought is the strength of anti-harassment and non-discrimination policies in the American workplace. In fact, many companies provide employee hotlines where complaints can be made anonymously".

- In my experience, there is far more of that protection in the UK (that is taken seriously). As a worker here you have next to no rights.

That's because you, and I, live in Florida. Interestingly called a "Right to Work State".

NC Penguin Feb 26th 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe (Post 4454623)
That's because you, and I, live in Florida. Interestingly called a "Right to Work State".

Unofficially known as a Right to Shoot State!:p

NC Penguin

snowbunny Feb 26th 2007 4:45 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe (Post 4454623)

But the equal opportunity and anti-harassment laws are *federal*. However, I've seen some pretty horrible abuses (even pre-Bush) that went unpunished even when there was an investigation.

The best one can hope for if one has a rotten coworker (which I don't!) is that they die, leave to work elsewhere, or finally pick on someone influential and get sacked.

I'm seriously considering writing a book about living in America (how you get here, I don't care) because I've been looking for one and they all focus on GETTING here. There are so many things that are different here -- guess who got underwitheld because hubby didn't read the W-4 correctly?

Rushman Feb 26th 2007 4:54 am

People in smaller cities tend to be fiercely loyal to kinfolk, church and state with little interest in world affairs.

There's a suprise :rolleyes:

TouristTrap Feb 26th 2007 5:28 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4455163)
But the equal opportunity and anti-harassment laws are *federal*. However, I've seen some pretty horrible abuses (even pre-Bush) that went unpunished even when there was an investigation.

The best one can hope for if one has a rotten coworker (which I don't!) is that they die, leave to work elsewhere, or finally pick on someone influential and get sacked.

I'm seriously considering writing a book about living in America (how you get here, I don't care) because I've been looking for one and they all focus on GETTING here. There are so many things that are different here -- guess who got underwitheld because hubby didn't read the W-4 correctly?

I'd say go for it.

As to the last bit, I'd have cloggie sleep on the couch until well past St. Paddy's. :ohmy:

TouristTrap Feb 26th 2007 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4455177)
People in smaller cities tend to be fiercely loyal to kinfolk, church and state with little interest in world affairs.

There's a suprise :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that it surprises you.

frrussre Feb 27th 2007 1:27 am

Spot on. Liked the quote, from Clive James.
Reg. Frank R.

MrScotland Feb 28th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4455163)

Check out the writings of Bill Bryson, actually an American but lived in the UK for quite a while. He has a healthy view of life in America.

My personal experiences. "Land of the free". I've never experienced a place that was able to create so many laws, federal, state, county, city, town laws. Too many law makers with too much time on their hands. Among some of the dry towns in my area, one town has a law that precludes you standing up while drinking alcohol in a bar/restaurant!!! But then maybe that one makes a lot of sense.

Alcohol and fags (the smoking kind) are treated like class A drugs here. Brave is the man who allows his 15 year old a sip of lager. Unfortunately the 15 year old has already likely been offered hard drugs many times at school, which noone seems to be caring too much about.

No form of sex can be shown on network television. Americans believe they are liberal because they keep telling themselves that, I've yet to see how. Example, Janet Jackson's boob was maybe exposed for a millisecond during the superbowl half time celebrations. The reaction was like Philip Morris had sent free Marlboro's to every 10 year old in the country. Violence on the other hand is absolutely cool any time of the day. I'm tired of being Ninja'ed by my friends ADD afflicted 5 year old.

In the land where steak is king you would think these people would have worked out how to use a knife and fork. It is a constant source of amusement watching the poor uneducated yanks trying hack off pieces of cow in even the best steak restaurants while holding a knife and fork like someone with no thumbs.

General manners. Don't assume the chick in front of you going in to Macy's is going to hold the door open even though you're right behind her. If you do chances are you're about to get a steel framed, spring loaded pain of glass wacked across your chops.

Some people truly believe in a "well armed militia", really! I tried arguing the point with a guy I know who believes this. He owns his own personal weapons arsenal. I was trying to explain that he and his militia buddies probably wouldn't be able to stand up to the standard US military fair like M1 tanks, F15 jets or cruise missiles . He said he could probably buy an anti-tank bazooka legally???

Deedee13 Feb 28th 2007 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by MrScotland (Post 4466215)
Check out the writings of Bill Bryson, actually an American but lived in the UK for quite a while. He has a healthy view of life in America.

My personal experiences. "Land of the free". I've never experienced a place that was able to create so many laws, federal, state, county, city, town laws. Too many law makers with too much time on their hands. Among some of the dry towns in my area, one town has a law that precludes you standing up while drinking alcohol in a bar/restaurant!!! But then maybe that one makes a lot of sense.

Alcohol and fags (the smoking kind) are treated like class A drugs here. Brave is the man who allows his 15 year old a sip of lager. Unfortunately the 15 year old has already likely been offered hard drugs many times at school, which noone seems to be caring too much about.

No form of sex can be shown on network television. Americans believe they are liberal because they keep telling themselves that, I've yet to see how. Example, Janet Jackson's boob was maybe exposed for a millisecond during the superbowl half time celebrations. The reaction was like Philip Morris had sent free Marlboro's to every 10 year old in the country. Violence on the other hand is absolutely cool any time of the day. I'm tired of being Ninja'ed by my friends ADD afflicted 5 year old.

In the land where steak is king you would think these people would have worked out how to use a knife and fork. It is a constant source of amusement watching the poor uneducated yanks trying hack off pieces of cow in even the best steak restaurants while holding a knife and fork like someone with no thumbs.

General manners. Don't assume the chick in front of you going in to Macy's is going to hold the door open even though you're right behind her. If you do chances are you're about to get a steel framed, spring loaded pain of glass wacked across your chops.

Some people truly believe in a "well armed militia", really! I tried arguing the point with a guy I know who believes this. He owns his own personal weapons arsenal. I was trying to explain that he and his militia buddies probably wouldn't be able to stand up to the standard US military fair like M1 tanks, F15 jets or cruise missiles . He said he could probably buy an anti-tank bazooka legally???

Bill Bryson, I read his books before i came over and never laughed so much in my life. He says it how it is. I would get my hubby to read it but i got the german translated one. But a must for anyone. if anyone can read german i dont mind passing it on, just get in touch.