Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daily Living and Thoughts

Daily Living and Thoughts

Old Dec 4th 2015, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Daily Living and Thoughts

Originally Posted by kodokan
Isn't he covered by a work travel insurance for that? The companies hubby has worked and traveled for have all had an employee travel insurance plan for lost bags/ cancelled flights/ getting injured, etc, the same as you'd take out yourself for a vacation.

Doesn't Florida even cover emergency care out-of-state? I would have assumed it would be an Obamacare requirement. The BCBS ACA plan we took out in Arizona even covered overseas emergency care.

They really need to tidy up these ridiculous cross-state differences. How must it work for people who live right on the border of states, and live/ work/ shop across both. So pointlessly complicated.
He doesn't travel out of the U.S. and internally the company cover it by offering the above 'national' plan. Obamacare would only cover for emergencies such as life or death and only if you paid for a higher coverage 'national' plan. They wouldn't cover for example a broken leg. We have spent about 2 months of research trying to get a better option, but sadly we couldn't find anything better. He has only ever required healthcare when away from home, whether it's for work or when on holiday (within the U.S.). We are just going to have to suck it up and hope he finds a job with better insurance. Currently we are in-between insurance as the old one ended on November 25th and the new one doesn't start until December 19th. I have warned my husband and the kids that they are on their own if something major happens
Old Dec 4th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daily Living and Thoughts

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
He doesn't travel out of the U.S. and internally the company cover it by offering the above 'national' plan. Obamacare would only cover for emergencies such as life or death and only if you paid for a higher coverage 'national' plan. They wouldn't cover for example a broken leg. We have spent about 2 months of research trying to get a better option, but sadly we couldn't find anything better. He has only ever required healthcare when away from home, whether it's for work or when on holiday (within the U.S.). We are just going to have to suck it up and hope he finds a job with better insurance. Currently we are in-between insurance as the old one ended on November 25th and the new one doesn't start until December 19th. I have warned my husband and the kids that they are on their own if something major happens
Good luck - with both the finger crossing and the 'job with better benefits' hunting. Good companies are out there still - I assumed all corporates were rapacious monsters thes days, but hubby's new one is giving us vastly better insurance for 1/3 of the old cost, AND bunging us $1k a year into the HSA. Rates are staying the same for 2016, and he was immediately covered from date of hire, even for his first part-month; none of this '90 day' tiresomeness.

Since they're paying the same as his old company, we effectively got a pay rise