Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

daftest part of my paperwork yet!

daftest part of my paperwork yet!

Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:47 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all
Red face daftest part of my paperwork yet!

Underlined and in bold on my IV15a that came with my DS-156 etc.

"I also understand that I should NOT give up my job, dispose of property, nor make any final travel arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me."

2 lines down I have to sign and enter my case number etc. with the next question being:

Date of travel:
Date of wedding:

Now maybe I'm being a bit dim about all of this, but if I cant make any travel arrangements, and I dont know when my interview date is, how can I possibly know my date of travel or date of wedding.

This stuff is about 1 form away from driving me to drink!
Old Oct 5th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daftest part of my paperwork yet!

I take it you've not been to the embassy yet? One of the questions is

"Are you a terrorist"

WTF?
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:29 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USBound

"Are you a terrorist"

WTF?
not been to the embassy yet, no, but it asks that on the back of the DS-156 too though (and on the visa waiver form if ya go on hols if recall properly)

bit of a side note: how long does it usually take to get an embassy interview once you've submitted your paperwork? Im just waiting on my criminal records check atm, really wanted to be out there by xmas though :|
Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
not been to the embassy yet, no, but it asks that on the back of the DS-156 too though (and on the visa waiver form if ya go on hols if recall properly)

bit of a side note: how long does it usually take to get an embassy interview once you've submitted your paperwork? Im just waiting on my criminal records check atm, really wanted to be out there by xmas though :|
from submitting paperwork to having my VISA in my hand took 21 days... however... submitting the paperwork too 2 months.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:17 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by USBound

"Are you a terrorist"

WTF?
And "do you intend to overthrow the government of the USA?". Warning: Peter Ustinov was a UN ambassador, so he could get away with answering "Sole purpose of visit". Most of us would not be treated so leniently.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:43 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Underlined and in bold on my IV15a that came with my DS-156 etc.

"I also understand that I should NOT give up my job, dispose of property, nor make any final travel arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me."

2 lines down I have to sign and enter my case number etc. with the next question being:

Date of travel:
Date of wedding:

Now maybe I'm being a bit dim about all of this, but if I cant make any travel arrangements, and I dont know when my interview date is, how can I possibly know my date of travel or date of wedding.

This stuff is about 1 form away from driving me to drink!
I just put when I hoped to travel which was January. I sent my packet back on 6th and had an interview scheduled for the 20th.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey one of our questions on the paperwork asked if we had ever taken part in genocide........

Do they really think if someone had, they would admit it..... Sheesh......

Someone told me once, to treat each question as the first question and forget all previous questions answered...

Oh and for your own mental safety do not try to analize or understand the logic of any of it.....

Oh also got asked if either of us had been drug dealers etc....
Old Oct 5th 2004, 5:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

As an alumni of DCF in London 2002, the length of the process at the US Embassy in London varies from applicant to applicant. You have to factor in: complications like former marriages, children, possible criminal history. Also, the speed of work performed at the Embassy slows down for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So, if you've got an application in process now, it may hit a bump around November time due to Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 8:52 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I received and sent back my packet 3 from the Embassy last November and gave them a date for about six weeks later; my interview was two weeks after that on December 1st.

You could put 'unknown' but I'd heard that, chances are, you'd get an interview date when they could fit you in, as opposed to giving them a specific date and them working you in before that.

It's worth a shot!

Good luck!!
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

I've long-since given up trying to make any sense whatsoever out of any government paperwork.

I remember the date of travel vs. don't make final travel plans contradiction. As all the paperwork clearly states that a visa does not automatically guarantee entry anyway (that's up to the INS inspector at the port of entry), I have to wonder why bother with visa at all.

One of the questions on my INS forms was whether I was a member of the communist party, either at present or at any time in the past, or had I at any time been affiliated in any way with the communist party. Is that still on the list?
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:10 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Hey one of our questions on the paperwork asked if we had ever taken part in genocide........

Do they really think if someone had, they would admit it..... Sheesh......

Someone told me once, to treat each question as the first question and forget all previous questions answered...

Oh and for your own mental safety do not try to analize or understand the logic of any of it.....

Oh also got asked if either of us had been drug dealers etc....
Apparently, they have to ask the question (even if it does seem dumb) so as to have proof that you claimed "no, I didn't do that". Supposing they didn't ask the question "Are you a drug dealer?", and you subsequently get caught dealing drugs, they would have a harder time deporting you. However, they ask the question knowing people will always say no (well, I suppose some simpletons may say yes), so if they get caught, they have grounds for easier deportation as they've lied to immigration.

I blame the lawyers myself.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:14 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Apparently, they have to ask the question (even if it does seem dumb) so as to have proof that you claimed "no, I didn't do that". Supposing they didn't ask the question "Are you a drug dealer?", and you subsequently get caught dealing drugs, they would have a harder time deporting you. However, they ask the question knowing people will always say no (well, I suppose some simpletons may say yes), so if they get caught, they have grounds for easier deportation as they've lied to immigration.

I blame the lawyers myself.
awwwww now it all seems to make sense
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:01 am
Scouse Git

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
awwwww now it all seems to make sense
blame will be getting spread equally around.. just as soon as I get into the country.. heh.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

As with anything in the US, ask yourself not what practical function the question serves, but whose butt is being covered by the asking.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
As with anything in the US, ask yourself not what practical function the question serves, but whose butt is being covered by the asking.

I believe the actual reasoning behind these absurd questions is insurance. Should the insurance company pose the question

"Did you ask him if he was a terrorist before you let him walk in with that bomb in his shoe?"

they need to be able to say "yes"

so... as Calgary said... covering their respective asses.... expect more questions soon like " Have you ever made a shoe bomb ", " Do you subscribe to AQ monthly "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.