British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dad offered a job in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dad-offered-job-usa-737343/)

Cain0 Oct 30th 2011 6:36 pm

Dad offered a job in USA

Hi again, I made a post prior to this but it did not include some vital information, so I thought id make a different one with critical information included. I have also not said the name of the company he will be working for because he wants to keep it confidential.The company employs roughly around 40,000 people.

My Dad has been offered a job in the USA working for a large company at a new plant. The one thing that is stopping us is Visa/Green Card issues. We need to make a decision by Friday so we all need as much information as possible.

Basically, I am 17 years old. We know that if the Green Card has not come by the time I am 21, I will be thrown out of the country which means that we will all have to come back to the UK. I know that the green card can take up to 6 years to be processed but may take as little as 2 years. We were wondering, on average, how long it takes a green card to come through.

Here is some additional information
> The large company WILL sponsor all of us for Green Cards.
> We will all be on an E-2 Visa.
> If we apply for the Green Cards now, we will have over 3 before my visa expires

So with a large company sponsoring us for Green Cards, how long do you think it will take the Green Cards to come through. Also, there was a post in a previous thread about laws that could protect us if we have applied for the green cards but my visa has expired. Does anyone know any information on these laws. I am very thankful for any help you can offer.

PS: Sorry for the double post, but we have to make a decision by the end of the week and the information I put in the previous post was not accurate.

Michael Oct 30th 2011 7:06 pm

Re: Dad offered a job in USA

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9704963)
Hi again, I made a post prior to this but it did not include some vital information, so I thought id make a different one with critical information included. I have also not said the name of the company he will be working for because he wants to keep it confidential.The company employs roughly around 40,000 people.

My Dad has been offered a job in the USA working for a large company at a new plant. The one thing that is stopping us is Visa/Green Card issues. We need to make a decision by Friday so we all need as much information as possible.

Basically, I am 17 years old. We know that if the Green Card has not come by the time I am 21, I will be thrown out of the country which means that we will all have to come back to the UK. I know that the green card can take up to 6 years to be processed but may take as little as 2 years. We were wondering, on average, how long it takes a green card to come through.

Here is some additional information
> The large company WILL sponsor all of us for Green Cards.
> We will all be on an E-2 Visa.
> If we apply for the Green Cards now, we will have over 3 before my visa expires

So with a large company sponsoring us for Green Cards, how long do you think it will take the Green Cards to come through. Also, there was a post in a previous thread about laws that could protect us if we have applied for the green cards but my visa has expired. Does anyone know any information on these laws. I am very thankful for any help you can offer.

PS: Sorry for the double post, but we have to make a decision by the end of the week and the information I put in the previous post was not accurate.

As was stated in your earlier thread, it will depend on his EB classification and not on the company size. If he is classified and accepted by USICE as EB1 or EB2, the green cards will likely be available before you are 21.

Cain0 Oct 30th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705004)
As was stated in your earlier thread, it will depend on his EB classification and not on the company size. If he is classified and accepted by USICE as EB1 or EB2, the green cards will likely be available before you are 21.

I am not sure what EB rating he is. He is e-mailing his lawyer to find out. I will post back here when I find out.

Also, in the previous thread, you said something like EB1 and EB2 status is current for UK citizens. By this do you mean that all UK citizens that get granted a visa are rated as EB1 or EB2?

Thanks again for your help.

Michael Oct 30th 2011 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9705039)
I am not sure what EB rating he is. He is e-mailing his lawyer to find out. I will post back here when I find out.

Also, in the previous thread, you said something like EB1 and EB2 status is current for UK citizens. By this do you mean that all UK citizens that get granted a visa are rated as EB1 or EB2?

Thanks again for your help.

No, it only means that if he is classified as EB1 or EB2, processing for green cards can normally start immediately since there are plenty of green cards available for that classification for UK citizens. If he were classified as EB3, he will wait in line behind others in that classification waiting for the limited number of green cards that will be available for that classification.

Some countries such as India and China have so many classified as EB2, they may also have to wait in line for green cards to become available.

Cain0 Oct 30th 2011 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705062)
No, it only means that if he is classified as EB1 or EB2, processing for green cards can normally start immediately since there are plenty of green cards available for that classification. If he were classified as EB3, he will wait in line behind others in that classification waiting for the limited number of green cards that will be available for that classification.

Ok, so if he is EB3 category (which I think he is), there is very little chance of him getting a green card before I am 21?

Also, the first person to post in that thread said that there may be laws that can protect us if we have filed for the green card, but my visa has expired. Do you know any information on these laws?

Michael Oct 30th 2011 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9705074)
Ok, so if he is EB3 category (which I think he is), there is very little chance of him getting a green card before I am 21?

Also, the first person to post in that thread said that there may be laws that can protect us if we have filed for the green card, but my visa has expired. Do you know any information on these laws?

I don't know of any laws. However if you plan to attend college, you can always get a F1 visa at 21 to continue your education in the US and if you get a post graduate degree in the correct field, you may be able to get your own H1-B visa after college to work in the US which can lead to a green card. Also you might get married and that will give you a green card.

If he is being classified as EB3, that may be the reason that he will be getting a E2 visa instead of a L1-A visa since there isn't any time limitation for an E2 visa (can be renewed indefinitely) but there is for a L1-A visa if he doesn't get a green card quickly.

Cain0 Oct 30th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705081)
I don't know of any laws. However if you plan to attend college, you can always get a F1 visa at 21 to continue your education in the US and if you get a post graduate degree in the correct field, you may be able to get your own H1-B visa after college to work in the US which can lead to a green card. Also you might get married and that will give you a green card.

I will almost definately go to college in the US if I come over. If I am already going to college and I turn 21, will I be able to apply for an F1 visa with the backing of my college? If so, what would you say the chances of aquiring an F1 visa would be? (Is it difficult to get an F1 visa?)

Michael Oct 30th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9705085)
I will almost definately go to college in the US if I come over. If I am already going to college and I turn 21, will I be able to apply for an F1 visa with the backing of my college? If so, what would you say the chances of aquiring an F1 visa would be? (Is it difficult to get an F1 visa?)

If your grades are good and you are attending full time, I suspect there won't be any problem getting a F1 visa at 21.

Cain0 Oct 30th 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705092)
If your grades are good and you are attending full time, I suspect there won't be any problem getting a F1 visa at 21.

Ok thanks a lot. You have helped us a lot and we are very grateful. :thumbsup:

caleyjag Oct 30th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9705085)

Of course, if you go to university at the normal age, you'll be most of the way through by the time you are 21.

Michael Oct 30th 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 9705124)
Of course, if you go to university at the normal age, you'll be most of the way through by the time you are 21.

Not one of my kids. Three different degrees over about 9 years.

dunroving Oct 30th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705092)

... and can demonstrate that you have the funds to support yourself during your studies (tuition, fees, living costs, etc.). I seem to recall having to do that when I applied for an F-1.

ian-mstm Oct 30th 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cain0 (Post 9705074)
Also, the first person to post in that thread said that there may be laws that can protect us if we have filed for the green card, but my visa has expired.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

Oh... Google is your friend.

Ian

md95065 Oct 30th 2011 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9705169)
... and can demonstrate that you have the funds to support yourself during your studies (tuition, fees, living costs, etc.). I seem to recall having to do that when I applied for an F-1.

... and that you intend to comply with the terms of the F-1 visa - which means leaving the US at the end of your studies - of course if you acquire another status in the interim which allows you to stay in the US (be it a green card, marriage to a US citizen with adjustment of status, or a job offer from an employer who is willing to sponsor you) then that is OK, but it none of those things happen then you still have to leave the US at the end of your F-1 ...

Mummy in the foothills Oct 31st 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9705148)
Not one of my kids. Three different degrees over about 9 years.

Are you saying it took your kid 9 years to get a degree?
My oldest finished his Uni degree here in 2010 he was 21.