Cyclists

Old Dec 15th 2005, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Cyclists

UK cyclists piss me off when they ride 2 abreast so they can f**king talk to each other and you have to slow down and wait for a gap in oncoming traffic to pass them. Selfish bastards blocking my way just so he can look at his mate as he talks.

"Oh it's the pot holes" Is it bollocks, there's just as many potholes in the middle of the road as there is at the kerb.

I always wanted to have that happen while I was driving a left hand drive vehicle, then as I passed them I could've twatted them right across their ridiculous lycra clad arses with a nice bamboo cane.

I've driven through central London in a fully loaded 44 ton articulated truck and been cut up and played chicken with by these cycling courier muppets.

Cyclists should have insurance like all other road users.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman

"Cyclists" (the type of people I referred to earlier) do have insurance. I have insurance, for example (separate from my car insurance, I mean).

Problem with "people on bikes" who piss off drivers is that the drivers then carry a grudge and take it out on the next "cyclist". Alsol too many drivers see a "cyclist" and think "person on bike". Not the same. MOST (not all, for sure) "cyclists" I've known were very responsible road users.

Law in many states is that cyclists have a right to ride one or two abreast where that does not impede traffic, but that in places where two abreast holds up traffic, you should ride one abreast.

When you're riding 100 miles/5 hrs at a stretch it makes a difference if you can talk with someone else by riding two abreast. As long as you drop back when traffic gets busy, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone. Overtaking cyclists on an empty road shouldn't be viewed as an inconvenience (like the last guy who deliberately pulled his boat trailer back into our lane early, and almost killed one of the riders I was with. When I stopped at the Stop sign and enquired whether he was deliberately trying to kill someone, his response was "Well, you shouldn't have been in the road!" There's just no response that is going to make an impression on an idiot like that).

I'm afraid you are wrong about the potholes. At least, when I was in middle TN, there were supposed bike lanes. Problem is the bike lane was full of broken glass from people throwing out bottles - and because drivers used the (thinner) bike lanes to "undertake" cars turning left, the lanes WERE completely broken up.

And lastly, Lycra is sexy, I'll have you know.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 10:36 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
how mad is it that here in texas its illegal to ride a bike (cycle) without a helmet - but not a motor bike - what kind of messed up logic is that!?!?!
Texas exempts riders 21 yrs. or older from wearing a helmet if they either 1) can show proof of successfully completing a motorcycle operator training and safety course or 2) can show proof of having a medical insurance policy.

This ties in with the explanation given to me a year ago when I asked a similar question. Apparently there was an attempt to enforce the wearing of helmets for motorcyclists. Due to a law suit the compromise is as above. You can read about helmet laws here:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/laws/st...elmet_use.html

The website I found this info on also says that bike riders are not required to wear a helmet, which contradicts the story I read in the local rag that the police were fining parents if their kids didn't wear bike helmets. Unless there's a local law somewhere...

Check your own state's laws out:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/laws/st...t_current.html
Old Dec 15th 2005, 12:54 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Not many cycling proficiency badges here
Do you think I could sell mine on Ebay ?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 1:08 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
My hubby still cycles and I hate it, the drivers are crazy here and I worry until he calls me to say he's arrived at work safely.
My wife's the same - especially since one day in September when I called her to say "Now don't worry, but I was knocked off my bike on the way in today". There really should be something in the driving test about cycling - the driver that hit me obviously had no concept of the speed I was doing and how much space to give me and cut me off while turning left at a light that I was turning right at (I slid right into the side of his SUV - luckily I know how to fall to minimize injury and only slightly grazed my knee, the side of my leg, my shoulder - my elbow wasn't quite so lucky but at least I was able to get back on and complete my ride to work where I got cleaned up). The funniest thing was how worried the driver was - I think he thought I might sue, perhaps I should have done.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Your hubby doesn't work for TI, does he? I see at least three people who regularly ride to work on the TI campus at LBJ and Central, on the 3-lane freeway access roads and all, and it never ceases to amaze/terrify me.
Nah, he works for a computer games company in Garland. He has to cycle down Centerville and then along Northwest Highway. Thankfully at the moment he is full of cold and so not feeling like cycling down there in the mornings. Hurrah for the cold and flu season
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
You mean to say you actually have sidewalks there???
We looked at a new housing development that's being built here and the big selling point is that it has sidewalks and street lights!!! Next they'll be putting fences round the back gardens.
Yep a good chunk of my hubby's route to work has sidewalk but it's in bad shape, grass growing over it etc so he can't use it.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neil
My wife's the same - especially since one day in September when I called her to say "Now don't worry, but I was knocked off my bike on the way in today". There really should be something in the driving test about cycling - the driver that hit me obviously had no concept of the speed I was doing and how much space to give me and cut me off while turning left at a light that I was turning right at (I slid right into the side of his SUV - luckily I know how to fall to minimize injury and only slightly grazed my knee, the side of my leg, my shoulder - my elbow wasn't quite so lucky but at least I was able to get back on and complete my ride to work where I got cleaned up). The funniest thing was how worried the driver was - I think he thought I might sue, perhaps I should have done.
You were very lucky.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
That reminds me of when my husband was visiting me in England ... we were in London and a cyclist was knocked off his bike by a double decker bus! The cyclist got up, brushed himself down, told the driver he was okay and left. My husband was completely amazed and could not understand why the cyclist did not make more of it so that he could sue the driver! I tried to explain that while the UK always seem to follow the US, we hadn't yet quite caught up with the idea of always being on the look out for someone to sue for money!
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:09 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Do you think I could sell mine on Ebay ?
Not much of a market right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/National-Cycling...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
"Cyclists" (the type of people I referred to earlier) do have insurance. I have insurance, for example (separate from my car insurance, I mean).
I wonder why
When you're riding 100 miles/5 hrs at a stretch it makes a difference if you can talk with someone else by riding two abreast. As long as you drop back when traffic gets busy, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
Thas right, it shouldn't be a problem, but how many "cyclists" bother to look over their shoulder to guage the flow of traffic? Most cyclists I've had issue with have been arseholes with no sympathy or consideration for other road users. You try driving a fully loaded HGV then come up behind 2 cyclists riding abreast. By the time there is a gap in traffic to pass they are still riding 2 abreas and it has to be a helluva gap to over take in a 44 ton truck with 16 gears. Do they move into single file? Do they *****. I don't swerve and try to kill them for their ignorance, I blast the *****ing airhorns at them and nearly crash the truck pissing myself laughing as the swerve all over the place having a heart attack.
I'm afraid you are wrong about the potholes.
I was refering to the UK not TN. Most potholes in the UK are in the middle of the lane.
And lastly, Lycra is sexy, I'll have you know.
Visualise a Hippo in Speedo's. Just 'cos it fits don't men it looks good.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why
Thas right, it shouldn't be a problem, but how many "cyclists" bother to look over their shoulder to guage the flow of traffic? Most cyclists I've had issue with have been arseholes with no sympathy or consideration for other road users. You try driving a fully loaded HGV then come up behind 2 cyclists riding abreast. By the time there is a gap in traffic to pass they are still riding 2 abreas and it has to be a helluva gap to over take in a 44 ton truck with 16 gears. Do they move into single file? Do they *****. I don't swerve and try to kill them for their ignorance, I blast the *****ing airhorns at them and nearly crash the truck pissing myself laughing as the swerve all over the place having a heart attack.

I was refering to the UK not TN. Most potholes in the UK are in the middle of the lane.

Visualise a Hippo in Speedo's. Just 'cos it fits don't men it looks good.
Rushman: You are illustrating the point I made earlier - please don't develop an attitude about on law-abiding cyclists just because some bicycle riders are idiots. You are always going to find dumb people in this world - whether it's on bicycles, in sailing boats, on motor bikes, skateboards, or surf boards, wherever/whatever - including HGV drivers.

It ticks me off as much as it ticks you off that some riders just don't know, or don't care about, proper use of the road. But it's no more fair to assume someone else on a bike (like me, for example) is abusing their right to the road any more than it is for me to give the finger to someone in a car because I assume they are an *sshole just like that guy 7 months ago who threw the Big Gulp at me.

As for your "wonder why " comment, that also illustrates the can't win for losing side of this issue - a couple of posts back, you said

- when a cyclist (me) tells you that actually, I DO have insurance, I don't understand why you'd respond that way. ( )

p.s. When a cyclist shares the road with a HGV, guess who is most scared sh*tless? Again, I've had experiences (in a car and on a bike) when an HGV driver has done something really, really stupid and dangerous, but that just goes back to my earlier point - there are idiots on the road. To pick on one group (cyclists) and characterize them as if they are all idiots just shows bias.

I'd like to get stupid cyclists off the road too (or rather, educate them to use the road sensibly), but trying to give them a heart attack from your big 44-ton truck isn't the way to go.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:53 am
Account Closed

Rushman: You are illustrating the point I made earlier - please don't develop an attitude about on law-abiding cyclists just because some bicycle riders are idiots. You are always going to find dumb people in this world - whether it's on bicycles, in sailing boats, on motor bikes, skateboards, or surf boards, wherever/whatever - including HGV drivers.

It ticks me off as much as it ticks you off that some riders just don't know, or don't care about, proper use of the road. But it's no more fair to assume someone else on a bike (like me, for example) is abusing their right to the road any more than it is for me to give the finger to someone in a car because I assume they are an *sshole just like that guy 7 months ago who threw the Big Gulp at me.

As for your "wonder why " comment, that also illustrates the can't win for losing side of this issue - a couple of posts back, you said

- when a cyclist (me) tells you that actually, I DO have insurance, I don't understand why you'd respond that way. ( )

p.s. When a cyclist shares the road with a HGV, guess who is most scared sh*tless? Again, I've had experiences (in a car and on a bike) when an HGV driver has done something really, really stupid and dangerous, but that just goes back to my earlier point - there are idiots on the road. To pick on one group (cyclists) and characterize them as if they are all idiots just shows bias.

I'd like to get stupid cyclists off the road too (or rather, educate them to use the road sensibly), but trying to give them a heart attack from your big 44-ton truck isn't the way to go.
I never said ALL cyclists were idiots. Just the ones that ride 2 abreast regardless of what vehicles/how much traffic is behind them.

I also think that you are the exception to the rule that cyclists/bicycle riders have insurance. Though I have no proof either way.

I also believe that you are the exception to the rule regarding cyclists only riding 2 abreast and keeping an eye out for increased traffic.

I also think that if some twat is bloody minded enough to be riding 2 abreast infront of me with loads of oncoming traffic, knowing full well I need a large amount of road space to pass then the f**king idiot got off lightly with just a blast from air horns.

Yes, there are numerous idiots driving HGV's. I know, I unwittingly employed half of them.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:00 am
Ping-ponger

I never said ALL cyclists were idiots. Just the ones that ride 2 abreast regardless of what vehicles/how much traffic is behind them.

I also think that you are the exception to the rule that cyclists/bicycle riders have insurance. Though I have no proof either way.

I also believe that you are the exception to the rule regarding cyclists only riding 2 abreast and keeping an eye out for increased traffic.

I also think that if some twat is bloody minded enough to be riding 2 abreast infront of me with loads of oncoming traffic, knowing full well I need a large amount of road space to pass then the f**king idiot got off lightly with just a blast from air horns.

Yes, there are numerous idiots driving HGV's. I know, I unwittingly employed half of them.
'Nuff said. I can see where you are coming from (except the comment about a hippopotamus in a Speedo, of course).

By the way, did you know real cyclists don't wear shreddies under their bike shorts? I just know you wanted to hear that little piece of information.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:11 am
Account Closed

'Nuff said. I can see where you are coming from (except the comment about a hippopotamus in a Speedo, of course).
Hippos in Speedos as sexy as cyclists in Lycra. I was making a comparison.
By the way, did you know real cyclists don't wear shreddies under their bike shorts? I just know you wanted to hear that little piece of information.
I ride a motorcycle (well did before moving to the frozen north and will again in the spring). Not mopeds but big engined sports bikes so I too know the hazards of passing or moving around HGV's on 2 wheels.

My only qualm against cyclists is the 2 abreast thing in traffic. (and the obscene Lycra emsembles).

I suppose its a good thing for UK cyclists that the UK HGV test is probably the hardest test in the world for that type of vehicle.