Cyclists

Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclists

how mad is it that here in texas its illegal to ride a bike (cycle) without a helmet - but not a motor bike - what kind of messed up logic is that!?!?!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:14 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
how mad is it that here in texas its illegal to ride a bike (cycle) without a helmet - but not a motor bike - what kind of messed up logic is that!?!?!
maybe they don't like Bikers....
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:19 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Same logic thats says nudity on television is disgusting and immoral, but shooting people on tv is great fun and entertaining!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:21 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
This morning I was happily driving along behing a truck, when suddenly the truck swerved out to the left. A split secong later I had to do the same to avoid hitting an idiot who decided to ride his bike on the left side of the road, against the flow of traffic. WTF?? Why do people do that here? Is there some kind of safety logic I'm missing here, cause I just don't get it. Seems bloody dangerous to me.
Back in the UK cyclists used to piss me off when they ride through red lights on pedestrian crossings, but this is getting close to beating that now.
well I often enjoy cycling around the neighbourhood with my kids and never once have I seen somebody cycling against the flow of traffic
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:23 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Texan logic - you know, the "killing people is wrong. If you do it, we'll kill you" type logic.

OK, sorry, didn't mean to go there ....
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CarlM
Same logic thats says nudity on television is disgusting and immoral, but shooting people on tv is great fun and entertaining!
How about shooting nude people?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92070,00.html
( Turned out to be a hoax --- but that's Fox for you --- all made up, all the time.)
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

When I did the mandatory 5 hour safe driving course (NY) prior to getting my drivers license I was in a room of about 20-25 people (of which most were high school kids).

The guy "teaching" the class asked for a show of hands as to whether the people in the class thought you should cycle with traffic or into traffic. I was one of only two people who said that you should cycle WITH traffic. The other 20-ish people were clearly shocked when they were told that you are supposed to cycle with traffic.

I asked a couple of the people in the class where they learnt that. Apparently most are taught by parents that if you do cycle on the road to cycle into traffic, obviously it's faaar safer that way!

I think that schools need to have a cycling proficiency course like they have in England.

It does amaze me the number of cyclists I see at night with no lights, no helmets, no reflective clothing and cycling into traffic. :scared:

Seriously though, how many people turning right at a junction actually LOOK right to check for cyclists? Being honest, I very rarely even think about it.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:32 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ they cycle into traffic, so at least they can make eye contact with the person that hits them

Last edited by gruffbrown; Dec 14th 2005 at 9:56 am.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The logic behind it is that they are going to be more visible to on coming traffic and they can see it themselves...which is pants...just learn the ride a bike properly and not weave out onto the road like a complete pillock...
Old Dec 14th 2005, 9:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Same in Maine...because the motor biking lobby is pretty large and strong apparantly, and when they don't want to use a helmet, they get their wish because they make a large chunk of votes, while kids can't vote and they don't care...though the police turn a blind eye to anyone over 18, and even then they don't stop kids without helmets, but they do get a bollocking if they get involved in an accident I've noticed
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Its not a problem down here as no one rides bikes anyway. And besides it wouldnt matter which way you go your still gonna get nailed by some ancient Nooo Yoiker in a Buick swerving their way along the highway.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby still cycles and I hate it, the drivers are crazy here and I worry until he calls me to say he's arrived at work safely. I've not seen anyone cycling against the flow of traffic yet although I've seen people cycling quite a way from the kerb, the reason for that I imagine is that there is so much crap next to the kerb they wouldn't get very far without getting a flat.

For the very same reason I try and stick to the middle lane, I am constantly getting flat tyres here, it's because of all the construction apparently, nails everywhere.

It would be better if they cleared some of the sidewalks that have grass and weeds growing over them so the cyclists could use them, it's not like anyone uses them to actually walk on
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

It would be better if they cleared some of the sidewalks that have grass and weeds growing over them so the cyclists could use them, it's not like anyone uses them to actually walk on
You mean to say you actually have sidewalks there???
We looked at a new housing development that's being built here and the big selling point is that it has sidewalks and street lights!!! Next they'll be putting fences round the back gardens.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:54 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

That would explain the odd looks I get riding my bike without a helmet here.

Are you sure it's illegal? I'd heard something about kids having to wear helmets (mine do) but not adults.

As someone who has ridden many thousands of miles in various parts of the world, but almost none in Texas, I'm not a great fan of bike helmets, and can't imagine ever wearing one... unless it's the law.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:56 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
My hubby still cycles and I hate it, the drivers are crazy here and I worry until he calls me to say he's arrived at work safely. I've not seen anyone cycling against the flow of traffic yet although I've seen people cycling quite a way from the kerb, the reason for that I imagine is that there is so much crap next to the kerb they wouldn't get very far without getting a flat.

For the very same reason I try and stick to the middle lane, I am constantly getting flat tyres here, it's because of all the construction apparently, nails everywhere.

Your hubby doesn't work for TI, does he? I see at least three people who regularly ride to work on the TI campus at LBJ and Central, on the 3-lane freeway access roads and all, and it never ceases to amaze/terrify me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.