Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CV to resume

CV to resume

Old Oct 21st 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

rculater will become famous soon enough
Default CV to resume

Does anyone know of any good resume writers that will change my CV professionally drafted in UK to a US resume format ?

Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV to resume

I would just do it yourself. A proper U.S. CV is a lot different to a UK CV anyway; I found a UK CV is more like the US resume.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

See if your local college has a careers advice service. Often you can sneak in for free and get a quick consultation on editing your resume. I would avoid paying anyone to do it, you will get ripped off.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:59 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

There will be loads of books at your local library about writing resumes and making job applications. Ask to see the careers section.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rculater
Does anyone know of any good resume writers that will change my CV professionally drafted in UK to a US resume format ?

Thanks
I have done some research and the sample US resumes are not that different in format but really different in language and approach.

Eventually after reviewing several option I had mine completed by monster (us), the result amazed me!!

Well what can I say they made me sounds like I should be applying for the presidents job....maybe being british we are not used to selling ourselves but I did ask for the writer to tone it down as it made me blush just reading it!

I guess that is what they are paid for.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I just rewrote mine myself after viewing a few samples on the internet. The HR Manager at my husbands company looked it over, and the only change he recommended was to take out my education prior to university.
It certainly seems to be generating some interest anyway
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

check local library, chances are they'll have info on it and they might even have careers advice type person come in now and again to do this kind of stuff. Mine does and where we previously lived did the same.

I wouldn't pay anyone to do this...just flounce around with summaries and objectives and tailor the language to the career field you are after.