British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cutco knives (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cutco-knives-705313/)

Mandana Feb 14th 2011 2:47 am

Cutco knives

Does anyone have any? Are they as good as they say they are?

We saw them today at a Home & Garden show, and while they *look* outstanding, are they? How good is their 'lifetime' guarantee. Do you put them in the dishwasher (if you have them), and would you recommend them?

Are they worth the mega bucks??

nettlebed Feb 14th 2011 3:03 am

Re: Cutco knives

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 9174425)

We saw them today at a Home & Garden show, and while they *look* outstanding, are they? How good is their 'lifetime' guarantee. Do you put them in the dishwasher (if you have them), and would you recommend them?

I don't see how a paring knife could ever be worth over a hundred bucks. Seems like branding gone insane to me.

We have just replaced a couple of the John Lewis Jonelle brand knives I brought over from the UK with Pinzon brand knives (disclaimer: this is an Amazon.com brand, and I work for Amazon.com). They are outstanding, AFAIAC. $20 for a paring knife is reasonable: $100 is definitely not.

dbj1000 Feb 14th 2011 3:08 am

In Google autocomplete, why does "Cutco scam" come up second after "Cutco knives"?

Just askin'

Mandana Feb 14th 2011 3:09 am

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't tell you the price of an individual knife as they were only selling sets.

They are expensive. Too expensive IMO, but a friend swears by them. Then again, she is a salesman's dream!

My research tells me conflicting stories .. mostly how Vector salesmen are scammers. That doesn't bother me (much) as they didn't knock on my door. Still, not sure they're any better than any others out there, but they did look impressive.

Mandana Feb 14th 2011 3:10 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 9174441)
In Google autocomplete, why does "Cutco scam" come up second after "Cutco knives"?

Just askin'

Yep, my googling came up with the same!

Bob Feb 14th 2011 3:11 am

If your'e going to spend money on knives that'll be hand me down quality, Globals would be the cheapest to get, but you might as well get Shun.

anne55 Feb 14th 2011 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 9174425)

Got one carving Knife, that's all I could afford!!! but having said that I have had it at least 5 years and still cuts great, I dont put it in the dishwasher, and I dont allow anyone else to use it (family trying to use it to cut all kinds of things they were) I would like to have more off them someday!!

nettlebed Feb 14th 2011 3:21 am

BTW, the domestic sales arm of Cutco is called Vector Marketing, an MLM organization.

Smells like foul fish to me...

MrEmjoy Feb 14th 2011 1:34 pm

http://www.chicagocutlery.com/

Some of the best knives I've used.

Rete Feb 14th 2011 1:38 pm

Actually never heard of that brand before. Have a set of ginsu knives hubby gave me as a xmas present last year. Worthless piece of trash.

MrEmjoy Feb 14th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9175522)
Actually never heard of that brand before. Have a set of ginsu knives hubby gave me as a xmas present last year. Worthless piece of trash.

:D

sir_eccles Feb 14th 2011 3:04 pm

I watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS a lot. They are like the Consumer reports for kitchen gadgets. They have done lots of tests for knives and generally end up recommending a $20 knife over the more expensive ones.

This of course didn't stop my father in law buying us a $1000 Wusthof set as a gift.

MrEmjoy Feb 14th 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9175698)
I watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS a lot. They are like the Consumer reports for kitchen gadgets. They have done lots of tests for knives and generally end up recommending a $20 knife over the more expensive ones.

As long as they are well balanced and can be sharpened you're OK!

Mandana Feb 14th 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9175522)

Which? The knives, or your husband?!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still processing cost vs VFM!

Duncan Roberts Feb 14th 2011 7:03 pm

I've always been fond of Sabatier knives. Family have a set of Cutco, I don't like them at all and they never seem sharp.