Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cutco knives

Cutco knives

Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cutco knives

Does anyone have any? Are they as good as they say they are?

We saw them today at a Home & Garden show, and while they *look* outstanding, are they? How good is their 'lifetime' guarantee. Do you put them in the dishwasher (if you have them), and would you recommend them?

Are they worth the mega bucks??

Last edited by Mandana; Feb 14th 2011 at 2:57 am.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:03 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutco knives

Originally Posted by Mandana

We saw them today at a Home & Garden show, and while they *look* outstanding, are they? How good is their 'lifetime' guarantee. Do you put them in the dishwasher (if you have them), and would you recommend them?

I don't see how a paring knife could ever be worth over a hundred bucks. Seems like branding gone insane to me.

We have just replaced a couple of the John Lewis Jonelle brand knives I brought over from the UK with Pinzon brand knives (disclaimer: this is an Amazon.com brand, and I work for Amazon.com). They are outstanding, AFAIAC. $20 for a paring knife is reasonable: $100 is definitely not.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:08 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

In Google autocomplete, why does "Cutco scam" come up second after "Cutco knives"?

Just askin'
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't tell you the price of an individual knife as they were only selling sets.

They are expensive. Too expensive IMO, but a friend swears by them. Then again, she is a salesman's dream!

My research tells me conflicting stories .. mostly how Vector salesmen are scammers. That doesn't bother me (much) as they didn't knock on my door. Still, not sure they're any better than any others out there, but they did look impressive.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbj1000
In Google autocomplete, why does "Cutco scam" come up second after "Cutco knives"?

Just askin'

Yep, my googling came up with the same!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If your'e going to spend money on knives that'll be hand me down quality, Globals would be the cheapest to get, but you might as well get Shun.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:13 am
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mandana

Got one carving Knife, that's all I could afford!!! but having said that I have had it at least 5 years and still cuts great, I dont put it in the dishwasher, and I dont allow anyone else to use it (family trying to use it to cut all kinds of things they were) I would like to have more off them someday!!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:21 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the domestic sales arm of Cutco is called Vector Marketing, an MLM organization.

Smells like foul fish to me...
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:34 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

http://www.chicagocutlery.com/

Some of the best knives I've used.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually never heard of that brand before. Have a set of ginsu knives hubby gave me as a xmas present last year. Worthless piece of trash.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 1:43 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually never heard of that brand before. Have a set of ginsu knives hubby gave me as a xmas present last year. Worthless piece of trash.

Spoiler:
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS a lot. They are like the Consumer reports for kitchen gadgets. They have done lots of tests for knives and generally end up recommending a $20 knife over the more expensive ones.

This of course didn't stop my father in law buying us a $1000 Wusthof set as a gift.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:09 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS a lot. They are like the Consumer reports for kitchen gadgets. They have done lots of tests for knives and generally end up recommending a $20 knife over the more expensive ones.
As long as they are well balanced and can be sharpened you're OK!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Which? The knives, or your husband?!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still processing cost vs VFM!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been fond of Sabatier knives. Family have a set of Cutco, I don't like them at all and they never seem sharp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.