Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customs inspection of shipment

Wikiposts

Customs inspection of shipment

Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs inspection of shipment

Originally Posted by lansbury
Allied in Portland. They mentioned the number when they were explaining why the container had taken 10 days to get from LAX to there. At that time they said the inspection rate was up to 98%.

I know that under the "old" rules the number inspected was 2%. But what do they call an inspection. I believe the 100% was x-ray inspection not a open the container and a physical one.

heh, for x-ray I could start to be a believer in high numbers, but for physical inspections.. ha. Our last shipment that was held in LA (it's those darn shared containers.. full container comes through Tacoma which = fast) was held for over 3 weeks waiting for this 'inspection'. Naturally I was curious to see what they looked at.
Out of over 200 boxes of mixed, miscellaneous sinister bits (all manifested and labeled on the outside in detail) which THREE cartons did they choose to open?

The ones with paper shopping bags.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:30 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh, for x-ray I could start to be a believer in high numbers, but for physical inspections.. ha. Our last shipment that was held in LA (it's those darn shared containers.. full container comes through Tacoma which = fast) was held for over 3 weeks waiting for this 'inspection'. Naturally I was curious to see what they looked at.
Out of over 200 boxes of mixed, miscellaneous sinister bits (all manifested and labeled on the outside in detail) which THREE cartons did they choose to open?

Ours was a full 20ft container and came via LA. It was x-rayed because Allied handed me the customs paperwork for the charge which said what the inspection was. Also the seal, which I observed put on in the UK, was still intact on the container door.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

I'm guessing that was the object they had not yet been trained to identify on x-ray. Or they knew what it was but were hard pressed to come up with a logical reason for shipping them half way around the world...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm guessing that was the object they had not yet been trained to identify on x-ray. Or they knew what it was but were hard pressed to come up with a logical reason for shipping them half way around the world...
To the paper bag capital of the country, no less.
I know it's whacky.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I understand. I was pretty upset when a girl I was taking over a lease from decided to use some of my most treasured paper bags to move her stuff out in, without asking and without returning them.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

We had a sea shipment and air shipment sent from the UK.. both were flagged at customs.. But my husbands company paid for the move.. and by the sounds of it thank god for that!!..
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I understand. I was pretty upset when a girl I was taking over a lease from decided to use some of my most treasured paper bags to move her stuff out in, without asking and without returning them.
lol... NEW bags to use in a store...thousands of them!

I do have a very fine personal collection of paper shopping bags that I've been accumulating for over 25 years though, so I understand completely.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine are usually from my favorite stores in far off lands. When I lived in Europe the bags from Abercrombie, Neiman Marcus and Victoria's Secret were always the most admired on the subway! Now it's the Japanese ones mostly.