Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customs form upon entry to US

Customs form upon entry to US

Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:55 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs form upon entry to US

Originally Posted by meauxna
You're trying to get me arrested now, aren't you? Or corrupt my morals. Or cholesterol. Or somethin'.
I'll raise you two bags of pork scratchings. Not those ones you always find in pubs (in the white bags), but good ones made locally.
A bag of twiglets and another of buttons just for good measure.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I'll raise you two bags of pork scratchings. Not those ones you always find in pubs (in the white bags), but good ones made locally.
A bag of twiglets and another of buttons just for good measure.
As soon as I stop heaving, I will be back with a pithy answer to that. <g>
Twiglets. FTW!
(DH likes the Mexican scratchins)

edit, oooh, that reads badly for poor DH. Oh well, he'll have to get his own BE account!)
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
(DH likes the Mexican scratchins)
I caught those once on a trip to Cancun. Just rub olive oil around the edges, they'll be gone in a week.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
Thanks for all the info. As there are no meat products in there then I (hopefully) shouldn't get anything taken off me and I will be able to go home with a years supply of Cadburys . I shall tick yes and be prepared to answer questions about what I've got.

Thanks again.
My custom's declaration usually goes something like this. Clothes $xxx...tea $xx...candy $xx. Whenever I declare tea I'm always sent to secondard screening...so this time I'm not going to bother 'cos I can buy PG Tips at my local supermarket...even if it is 10 times the price.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My custom's declaration usually goes something like this. Clothes $xxx...tea $xx...candy $xx. Whenever I declare tea I'm always sent to secondard screening...so this time I'm not going to bother 'cos I can buy PG Tips at my local supermarket...even if it is 10 times the price.
My form was very similar to yours (luckily I decided to leave the tea) and got through fine so I got to keep the cadburys Was just a bit nervous as it was the first time flying in without OH.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
My form was very similar to yours (luckily I decided to leave the tea) and got through fine so I got to keep the cadburys Was just a bit nervous as it was the first time flying in without OH.
Don't worry they won't confiscate the choc or the tea. I've even declared Cheshire cheese without a problem when entering the US...although I had fun when security screened my hand luggage at Manchester Airport.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

My custom's declaration usually goes something like this. Clothes $xxx...tea $xx...candy $xx.
Yer not foolin' anyone... we all know it's candy $xxxxxx
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry they won't confiscate the choc or the tea. I've even declared Cheshire cheese without a problem when entering the US...although I had fun when security screened my hand luggage at Manchester Airport.
Hi:

And if the plane is heading to California, don't even THINK of packing fresh fruit. Last trip foreign we returned from Vancouver via Calgary -- we took fruit to eat with lunch while waiting in Calgary airport -- BEFORE clearing US PFI. I was amazed at the five people on line in front of us dumping a lot of food.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

And if the plane is heading to California, don't even THINK of packing fresh fruit. Last trip foreign we returned from Vancouver via Calgary -- we took fruit to eat with lunch while waiting in Calgary airport -- BEFORE clearing US PFI. I was amazed at the five people on line in front of us dumping a lot of food.
As far as I am aware you are not allowed to take fruit or veg into any US state when travelling from outside North America. I remember 20+ years ago flying from the UK on Virgin...the airline provided a lunch box containing an apple...there was also a large notice warning passengers not to take uneaten fruit into the US.

You are allowed to take fruit/veg into the US from Canada.

http://www.associationislandresort.c...ringIntoUS.pdf
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:36 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The guidance they give is pretty accurate, but the rules aren't that cut and dry. They mention the potato issue. Some potatoes from Canada (PEI specifically) are not allowed into the US from Canada because of a certain plant-parasitic nematode.

Some canned fruits are even banned for health reasons.

It's a good idea to just declare everything and let them figure it out or leave it at home. It's not unheard of for someone to pay $300 for an undeclared sandwich.

Last edited by crg; Mar 22nd 2009 at 2:41 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware you are not allowed to take fruit or veg into any US state when travelling from outside North America. I remember 20+ years ago flying from the UK on Virgin...the airline provided a lunch box containing an apple...there was also a large notice warning passengers not to take uneaten fruit into the US.

When I lived in the Bahamas (which has US Immigration and Customs on the way out of Nassau) you could always tell when there had been a school group flying to Florida that day - dozens of apples, oranges, etc., in a huge box on a table in Customs (I swear the US Customs Officers based in Nassau never had to do any fruit shopping).
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
When I lived in the Bahamas (which has US Immigration and Customs on the way out of Nassau) you could always tell when there had been a school group flying to Florida that day - dozens of apples, oranges, etc., in a huge box on a table in Customs (I swear the US Customs Officers based in Nassau never had to do any fruit shopping).
my custom list today, candy 10, actually it was white chocolate, marzipan eggs, haribo bears, toffees. Cookies $5 6 boxes of cookies, 2 packets of bread mix. spatzle. tin of tuna fish. not sure why i brought this but ohwell. 5 packets of cheese and a packet of cheese spread. one bottle of beer. the hotel we stay in lets us have a freebie. I bring mine home for when the kids drive me nuts. 2 bottles of bath oil. bread. 2 lip balms. I have come to the conclusion just declare the lot and if they take it off they take it off. Getting caught with stuff and not having it on the list is worse. oh i got a bottle of christian dior wrinkle cream - stem cell research stuff. Who knows. Cost bloody enough! oh and a ion necklace. Apparently its good for u? not sure wait and see
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

I *really* wanted to bring some bisto home on my next trip but on the "not allowed list" it said no meat products, bullion powders etc etc.

Do they not understand a pregnant woman's cravings?! American brown gravy just aint cutting it lol.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

thanks for all this information because when i go back to england i usually bring back packets of jacobs crackers - crisps packets of custard all the goodies i cannot get here. I was even stopped at customs and had to open my suitcase and had a packet of crackers but the officer just said okay you can go. from now on i will declare the things i bring back - i always thought food meant meat or fish, sandwiches fruit or veg. not dried things like crackers or sweets etc.

julia
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okuda
I *really* wanted to bring some bisto home on my next trip but on the "not allowed list" it said no meat products, bullion powders etc etc.

Do they not understand a pregnant woman's cravings?! American brown gravy just aint cutting it lol.
Which list did you find No Bisto on? I always bring a huge box back with me and My Mum brings me Bisto and OXO every time she visits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.