Reload this Page >

Customs form left in passport please advise

Customs form left in passport please advise

Old Sep 8th 2002, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs form left in passport please advise

Hello All US Experts

Please could anyone advise me with this situation.

We are on vacation in Canada (May-Oct) from UK.
As we are staying in south BC we decided to go across the border to the US at Oreville for a few days.
On the way into the US a US Immigration Officer who checked our passports and gave us a 90 day visa.
After filling in the customs declaration card the officer stapled the form I-94w departure record visa waiver into our passports.
When we returned to Canada the Canadian Officer waved us through the border and did not ask for documentation.
We still have this form in our passports and we intend to return to the US late this month to fly to Las Vegas.
Will this be a problem ???

Please advise

Thank you

A&C
Old Sep 8th 2002, 1:28 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Customs form left in passport please advise

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 20:14:49 -0700, april wrote:

> Hello All US Experts
    > Please could anyone advise me with this situation.
    > We are on vacation in Canada (May-Oct) from UK. As we are staying in south BC we
    > decided to go across the border to the US at Oreville for a few days. On the way
    > into the US a US Immigration Officer who checked our passports and gave us a 90 day
    > visa. After filling in the customs declaration card the officer stapled the form
    > I-94w departure record visa waiver into our passports. When we returned to Canada
    > the Canadian Officer waved us through the border and did not ask for documentation.
    > We still have this form in our passports and we intend to return to the US late
    > this month to fly to Las Vegas. Will this be a problem ???

Shouldn't be a big deal. When you leave the US for Canada, you generally keep the
I-94W (the green immigration form that you are talking about) because you can return
to the US with 30 days without getting a new one. If you don't plan to return to the
US within 30 days, you are supposed to stop at Canadian immigration (even if the
officer waves you through) and turn in the US immigration form.

Now when you return to the US for your trip to Las Vegas, you may be asked some extra
questions to verify that you are bona fide tourists. Basically, INS will probably ask
you how long ago your last trip was, how much time did you spend in the US on that
trip, how much time are you planning to spend now, where is your permanent residence,
when are you planning to return to the UK.

You should carry evidence that you are going to return to the UK, as well as evidence
that you only spent a few days in the US on your previous trip, and that you will be
returning to Canada.

> Please advise
    > Thank you
    > A&C
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Customs form left in passport please advise

Originally posted by Ingo Pakleppa:
On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 20:14:49 -0700, april wrote:

> Hello All US Experts
    > Please could anyone advise me with this situation.
    > We are on vacation in Canada (May-Oct) from UK. As we are staying in south BC we
    > decided to go across the border to the US at Oreville for a few days. On the way
    > into the US a US Immigration Officer who checked our passports and gave us a 90 day
    > visa. After filling in the customs declaration card the officer stapled the form
    > I-94w departure record visa waiver into our passports. When we returned to Canada
    > the Canadian Officer waved us through the border and did not ask for documentation.
    > We still have this form in our passports and we intend to return to the US late
    > this month to fly to Las Vegas. Will this be a problem ???

Shouldn't be a big deal. When you leave the US for Canada, you generally keep the
I-94W (the green immigration form that you are talking about) because you can return
to the US with 30 days without getting a new one. If you don't plan to return to the
US within 30 days, you are supposed to stop at Canadian immigration (even if the
officer waves you through) and turn in the US immigration form.

Now when you return to the US for your trip to Las Vegas, you may be asked some extra
questions to verify that you are bona fide tourists. Basically, INS will probably ask
you how long ago your last trip was, how much time did you spend in the US on that
trip, how much time are you planning to spend now, where is your permanent residence,
when are you planning to return to the UK.

You should carry evidence that you are going to return to the UK, as well as evidence
that you only spent a few days in the US on your previous trip, and that you will be
returning to Canada.

> Please advise
    > Thank you
    > A&C
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hi
Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Best wishes

A&C