Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customs & Excise - Confused

Customs & Excise - Confused

Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:19 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs & Excise - Confused

OK so I have relented and have agreed to go home to Scotland this Christmas. My dude is 11 and I don't think it is fair to make him wait until we get back for his pressies esp. as all his cousins will be running around opening presents left right and center.

So here are my questions:

1. Will I have problems with customs taking his gifts with me to the UK ?
2. Will I have problems taking back gifts that other people give him ?
3. Can I use this as an excuse to my husband so that I don't have to go

I don't mind paying for an extra piece of luggage but I don't want to pay duty, I am Scottish after all!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs & Excise - Confused

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
1. Will I have problems with customs taking his gifts with me to the UK ?
Shouldn't be a problem - they are personal property that you, as a family, are taking into the UK and which you will be taking back to the US with you
2. Will I have problems taking back gifts that other people give him ?
Again, not a problem, but you should declare them and you might have to pay duty on them depending on the value. (Make sure that you have the receipts for the stuff you bought for him in the US so that you can, if necessary, prove that you don't have to pay duty on those items)
Probably not ...
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:14 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I'll go in your place and bring it all back with me
Old Jul 24th 2010, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't declare gifts that I'm taking back...due to the fact that they are probably not over the limit. I only take back small gifts because of the luggage space. When my daughter was young she would open her gifts before we left...keeping a few small items to take with us to open on Christmas Day. It's worth reminding people that you won't have a great deal of space to take back bulky stuff. I couldn't believe the parcel my MIL gave me to take back for my daughter the night before we left.

I always declare that I am carrying gifts at check in when I leave the UK. I usually put them in my hand luggage and they are taken away for x-ray. If they're in your case make sure they are easily accessible.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:03 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Shouldn't be a problem - they are personal property that you, as a family, are taking into the UK and which you will be taking back to the US with you

Again, not a problem, but you should declare them and you might have to pay duty on them depending on the value. (Make sure that you have the receipts for the stuff you bought for him in the US so that you can, if necessary, prove that you don't have to pay duty on those items)
Was hoping that this was the case - thank you.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When my daughter was young she would open her gifts before we left...keeping a few small items to take with us to open on Christmas Day. It's worth reminding people that you won't have a great deal of space to take back bulky stuff. I couldn't believe the parcel my MIL gave me to take back for my daughter the night before we left.

I always declare that I am carrying gifts at check in when I leave the UK. I usually put them in my hand luggage and they are taken away for x-ray. If they're in your case make sure they are easily accessible.
You see I would be happy for the dude to open his stuff before we left and then he could choose what to take with him but DH (a.k.a. the Christmas Nazi) won't have any of it.

Will have to tell folk back home to buy small stuff or give $$. I am only taking stuff for the dude - the few presents I still buy for folk back home will be delivered by Santa Amazon.

Now I just need hubby to do a few more BA trips to get back up to silver status and a free 2nd bag .
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about the duty, but TSA recommends you do not pack wrapped gifts (they post this around holiday time) or they'll unwrap them.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
No idea about the duty, but TSA recommends you do not pack wrapped gifts (they post this around holiday time) or they'll unwrap them.
Good point I never wrap gifts for that reason...the packages only get crumpled anyway...even in handluggage.