British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   custom's duty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/customs-duty-772239/)

michael rothwell Sep 21st 2012 1:02 am

custom's duty

Hi All Moving back in 3 weeks haveing my stuff picked up next week has anyone had to pay duty on personal stuff they took back to uk I.e dvd's games music cd's and just genral personal belongings be crateful for any respon's and thanks to everyone who has giveing me good advice:)

lf1 Sep 21st 2012 7:26 am

Re: custom's duty

My thing are currently enroute, but based on the forms I completed your personal goods are not subject to duty. There are some exceptions, goods purchased within the last six months and the usual duty on tobacco, alcohol, perfume etc apply. There might be other exceptions, but off the top of my head I can't remember them.

Good luck with your move.:)

dunroving Sep 21st 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10292126)
My thing are currently enroute, but based on the forms I completed your personal goods are not subject to duty. There are some exceptions, goods purchased within the last six months and the usual duty on tobacco, alcohol, perfume etc apply. There might be other exceptions, but off the top of my head I can't remember them.

Good luck with your move.:)

... and my experience each time was that they really couldn't care less about residential relocations. But just in case they do open the container, don't bring back 4 boxes of brand new Levis or 20 iPads.

michael rothwell Sep 21st 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks Guys would hate to have to loose anything specailly my dvd collection have a great day

Pombat Sep 21st 2012 4:37 pm

We only had to pay duty on wine that my OH wanted to bring back from California. It was a total waste of money- $30 per bottle to ship plus duty of 40% of the stated value as duty in the UK. Total cost way more than we had paid for the wine in the first place! Still, he really wanted to do it. We shipped it seperately via a wine merchant as we did not want it to hold up the container. The container itself cleared customs very quickly and was not opened or x- rayed at all.

Paws3 Sep 23rd 2012 12:50 pm

On a related note, when we come through Customs should we stop or go through the Red zone even though we have nothing to declare? (we will have 4 large suitcases which may look a bit funny). When we came to Canada we had to just because we were entering the country to live. and they went through everything...

dunroving Sep 23rd 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Paws3 (Post 10295562)
On a related note, when we come through Customs should we stop or go through the Red zone even though we have nothing to declare? (we will have 4 large suitcases which may look a bit funny). When we came to Canada we had to just because we were entering the country to live. and they went through everything...

If you have nothing to declare, surely you should go through the Green zone? If they do stop you in the Green zone, you'll be fine, and if they don't you will have saved yourself some time.

When I came back in 2000, I had a form all filled in with details of everything I had in my bags ... think I flew into Manchester. Anyway, I couldn't even get someone from Customs to come and take the form from me - and when they did eventually arrive (I had to use an internal phone to call them!), they weren't even familiar with the form and what I was talking about (being a "citizen returning from an extended period overseas", or whatever the term is).

I wouldn't be surprised if, after being disrupted from their tea break or whatever they were doing, they just threw the form in the bin rather than deal with it. It just seemed like they couldn't be arsed and I was bothering them.