Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

customs declaration for shipping household contents

customs declaration for shipping household contents

Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:35 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking customs declaration for shipping household contents

Hello all, quick question for you, the company we are using to ship our household items over to the USA have sent us a customs declaration form. Does anybody know if we state that we have CD's and DVD's amongst the items, we will be charged duty on them? My hubby seems to think we will, but surely if they are with other packages containing pans, clothes and photo albums it'd be obvious they weren't for sale?!

Ta
Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: customs declaration for shipping household contents

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Hello all, quick question for you, the company we are using to ship our household items over to the USA have sent us a customs declaration form. Does anybody know if we state that we have CD's and DVD's amongst the items, we will be charged duty on them? My hubby seems to think we will, but surely if they are with other packages containing pans, clothes and photo albums it'd be obvious they weren't for sale?!

Ta

you shouldn't get charged duty on these kinds of personal belongings, unless they're still wrapped in cellophane and you've got multiple copies of dozens of them. As long as you are importing them for personal use, not resale, you should be fine.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 9:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
.... My hubby seems to think we will, but surely if they are with other packages containing pans, clothes and photo albums it'd be obvious they weren't for sale?!
In theory anything that you have owned for less than six months is dutiable, but in practice, like Dunroving said, if anything has been unwrapped and has been "used", no duty is payable.
Old Jan 26th 2004, 10:18 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pulaski
In theory anything that you have owned for less than six months is dutiable, but in practice, like Dunroving said, if anything has been unwrapped and has been "used", no duty is payable.
just tick the box that states you've owned all the stuff for more than one yr and have nothing for commercial/trade purposes.

Silly if you ask me. Are we supposed not to shop in the year preceeding immigration to the US?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

As they're for your own use, no you shouldn't be charged. Just don't have them all in the shrink wrap. I shipped hundreds of Cd's with me when I came over, and didn't get charged a bean, despite writing them on the declaration.

Incidentally, It's not necessary to write down each individual CD, just write "100 Compact Discs" or something like that...

Which shipping firm are you using?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

tweakr is an unknown quantity at this point

Whenever I order DVDs from America to the UK, I never get charged. The customs sticker just reads "Optical Media", would that work?