British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   customs... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/customs-528045/)

mellybrown Apr 9th 2008 2:10 pm

customs...

Our shipment has been in customs for 7 days, we get email today to tell us it is having a routine customs search or something like that.......

Soo how many boxes do they open???? should we be worried about the copied dvds lol :unsure:

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2008 3:31 pm

Re: customs...

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6182925)
Our shipment has been in customs for 7 days, we get email today to tell us it is having a routine customs search or something like that.......

Soo how many boxes do they open???? should we be worried about the copied dvds lol :unsure:

Sorry I don't know but it will cost you. Make sure you see the original customs invoice before you pay your mover...just in case they are trying to pull a fast one.

chicagojlo Apr 9th 2008 3:34 pm

Our shipment was also pulled by customs but we didn't have to pay anything. At least the container our stuff was in was pulled. Perhaps it was because it wasn't actually our stuff that was inspected.
We also shipped from Amsterdam rather than the UK but I can't see what difference that would make.
And note to other soon-to-move peeps - don't bring your copied dvds with you! (Unless you also have the originals, and even then it's dodgy).

anotherlimey Apr 9th 2008 3:51 pm

7 days?!! What are they doing exactly?

You're going to be shafted for storage.

mellybrown Apr 9th 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 6183335)
7 days?!! What are they doing exactly?

You're going to be shafted for storage.

I really have NO idea what they are doing!!!!!!

All a bit worrying really - I can see us being deported by the end of the week......

BritishGuy36 Apr 9th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6183278)
And note to other soon-to-move peeps - don't bring your copied dvds with you! (Unless you also have the originals, and even then it's dodgy).

Do they really bother about this? I asked about this on the forum a few weeks ago and the consensus was that they are not bothered in the slightest.

chicagojlo Apr 10th 2008 1:47 am

I'm sure they aren't but why take the risk?! I won't even speed, I am so scared of doing anything to potentially lose my green card!
It is a crime after all and if they felt like it they could do you for it. Whether they bother on a regular basis doesn't mean they won't decide to bother one day. And who wants to be that unlucky person just for a copy of Top Gun?!

BritishGuy36 Apr 10th 2008 8:08 am

I suppose you are right.

I would have bought a 1TB hard disk when I got there anyway for my PC.....guess I can buy it here first and load it up with ISOs..... :rofl:

mellybrown Apr 10th 2008 1:02 pm

ye I didnt want to risk bringing any, then he talked me into 1 cd wallet full - then the guy from the shipping company said they couldnt care less basically and now i have no idea how many he brought with him :S

oh well i guess we soon find out :blink:

BritishGuy36 Apr 10th 2008 2:22 pm

Keep us updated on that please if you don't mind.

SpoogleDrummer Apr 10th 2008 2:37 pm

I mailed one set of my CDs/DVDs and put the rest in my luggage. I figured if they said anything I'd just tell them I didn't trust that my luggage wouldn't get lost or the mail service and thus made copies and sent them the other method. But then most of my CDs are just backups of the ones I bought, which is lucky as my sister pilfered a whole bunch of them :p

jumping doris Apr 10th 2008 2:50 pm

Our container was delayed for two weeks because they wanted to do a routine search. Initially they just x-rayed the container. Had they seen anything odd they would have opened it. Luckily it was just x-rayed.

We weren't paying so I don't know if that all cost extra. Our shippers weren't worried, they just said it was all routine and one of those things.

mellybrown Apr 10th 2008 3:20 pm

Hubbys company has paid for it so we are not worried about the cost - hopefully we will just get xrayed :)

g1ant Apr 10th 2008 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6186086)
I won't even speed, I am so scared of doing anything to potentially lose my green card!

You can lose your greencard for speeding? Aw shit, I'd better start packing. :rofl:

Thydney Apr 10th 2008 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6188875)
Hubbys company has paid for it so we are not worried about the cost - hopefully we will just get xrayed :)

Our was check all we noticed was a white powder everywhere.