Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customer Service & Speaking to a Real Person

Customer Service & Speaking to a Real Person

Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Customer Service & Speaking to a Real Person

I've just heard on the radio about a website which lists popular phone nos. (eg. Aetna, United Healthcare, airlines, US Immigration, banks and credit card companies etc.).

It shows you the steps of how to speak directly with a real person instead of having to press all the numbers on those annoying computerised 'prompts' which never seem to relate to ones query:

It's called 'Get Human':

http://www.gethuman.com

(There are some British phone numbers listed too).
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customer Service & Speaking to a Real Person

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just heard on the radio about a website which lists popular phone nos. (eg. Aetna, United Healthcare, airlines, US Immigration, banks and credit card companies etc.).

It shows you the steps of how to speak directly with a real person instead of having to press all the numbers on those annoying computerised 'prompts' which never seem to relate to ones query:

It's called 'Get Human':

http://www.gethuman.com

(There are some British phone numbers listed too).
I have found that normally if not on the 1st attempt then the 2nd if you push 0 you get through to the operator, sometimes you have to get over the 1st question but then thats it.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have found that normally if not on the 1st attempt then the 2nd if you push 0 you get through to the operator, sometimes you have to get over the 1st question but then thats it.
Believe me - this is far from universal. The menu systems have to be set up to allow that to happen - usually so that 'confused' callers (i.e. ones that don't follow the prompts) can get to a live person more easily. Problem is that many companies don't actually give a hoot. Their systems are designed to syphon callers into automated systems that don't require human contact, and marshall calls into queues that can be handled more efficiently (cheaply). With these set-ups the knowledge of which combination of responses will get you to an agent most quickly can be valuable to your sanity...
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But I can call my Bank in the UK (First Direct) and get a live person usually within 3 rings ... so it can be done ...

But of course they speak with a Leeds accent ..so I have no idea what they are saying ...

Last edited by Ray; Feb 19th 2008 at 2:59 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Believe me - this is far from universal. The menu systems have to be set up to allow that to happen - usually so that 'confused' callers (i.e. ones that don't follow the prompts) can get to a live person more easily. Problem is that many companies don't actually give a hoot. Their systems are designed to syphon callers into automated systems that don't require human contact, and marshall calls into queues that can be handled more efficiently (cheaply). With these set-ups the knowledge of which combination of responses will get you to an agent most quickly can be valuable to your sanity...
I would gladly pay more to be associated with companies that charged a little bit more to go directly to an operator.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

If you just don't press anything the automated system thinks you don't have a functional touch tone phone and usually transfers you to a human.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian1976
If you just don't press anything the automated system thinks you don't have a functional touch tone phone and usually transfers you to a human.
Or disconnects you!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:37 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the systems where I don't have to speak to a human, or where I am automatically shuffled to the right dept.

The exception to this is the BA phone line, which is unspeakably awful. If you want to check arrival/departure times of a flight (i.e. on the way to an airport) you have to listen to two minutes of garbage, make four menu choices and then the speech recognition can't handle "funny" accents. Spankers! (I always use Google text now).
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have the problem with the systems where you have to say what you want to do and it can't understand you so you find yourself saying it in an American accent!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Anyone have the problem with the systems where you have to say what you want to do and it can't understand you so you find yourself saying it in an American accent!
Oh yes very oftenand the come back from the automated system is not even close to what you said
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't work, get punted to the spanish desk, so I let the missus do the phone calling these days
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:12 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the phone with United Airlines last week, listening to the options, and I coughed....it transferred me to a human immediately.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any consolation to you, the UK automated systems have the exact same reaction to me - and I can't fake an English accent!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:00 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I prefer the systems where I don't have to speak to a human, or where I am automatically shuffled to the right dept.

The exception to this is the BA phone line, which is unspeakably awful. If you want to check arrival/departure times of a flight (i.e. on the way to an airport) you have to listen to two minutes of garbage, make four menu choices and then the speech recognition can't handle "funny" accents. Spankers! (I always use Google text now).
LOL I have that problem I usually end up speaking like one of those Disney channel brats to make myself understood
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:01 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
If it's any consolation to you, the UK automated systems have the exact same reaction to me - and I can't fake an English accent!
What did you say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.