Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customer service

Wikiposts

Customer service

Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customer service

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Chorlton you been to Fry's yet? I can't FIND an associate when I want one.
Fry does suck....the one in Bangor is a joke, waited around for 10 mins and couldnt' find anyone so went next door to get the cd's...might have got there attention if I started throwing them through the door though

Oh, Sam's Club really tick me off too, checking the whole reciept against your cart every time....and wallyworld to a lesser extent.

As for clothes stores, GAP and Abercrombie are probably the worst...commissions galore
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:20 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, being female, they think I'm an idiot who's waiting for my husband to come along eventually. When I was younger I would tell them my credentials but I can't be fussed these days.

Oh the big warehouse place. I'd never seen so much stuff in one place before. I think the only thing I needed from staff there was directions!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

In 22 years of visiting or living in the US, I have never, ever had a problem with the "stalker" thing in shops. Other than an inital inquiry about whether I need help, I've always been left alone unless I asked for help.

Maybe I just need to wash my armpits more often than twice a year....
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:05 pm
Sarah's Hubby

jjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I know I take the piss out of it, but generally the service in the States is miles ahead of the UK. I think it probably seems overbearing because we're not used to it. In the UK if you ask someone about an item, the answer is generally "If it's not on the shelf, we ain't got it"
I hate high pressure stores where they decend on you like flies on shit. Its actually a breath a fresh air when I'm in England and they leave you in peace to browse at your own pace.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jjw152
I hate high pressure stores where they decend on you like flies on shit. Its actually a breath a fresh air when I'm in England and they leave you in peace to browse at your own pace.
Although sometimes trying to actually get an assistants attention can be mammoth task.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:14 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Sears............enough said..........
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, being female, they think I'm an idiot who's waiting for my husband to come along eventually. When I was younger I would tell them my credentials but I can't be fussed these days.
Ah yes....Fry's. You can always tell if an associate has just started and hasn't settled into their crappy customer service policy. If you want someone to really leave you alone, go to Fry's. But, they'll practically do a body search when you leave the store with a small bag and a dvd inside.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Sears............enough said..........
You must be kidding. I almost started a job at Sears, but they said they were looking for polite people to maintain their excellent customer service..... Of course I knew I wasn't right for that job.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

What's customer service?

Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjw152

True, and I have to say when I spend a month back in London this summer I was soooooo impressed by how helpful everyone was. Not just shop assistants, librarians, NI and IR staff (yes, really!), but even...... bus drivers. More than once, a driver would actually open the door at a traffic light as I had run after the bus, and routemaster conductors routinely waited for people to catch up before ringing the bell.

But the most impressive service I had was when buying a mobile phone for my son. Went to Link, found just what I wanted - except they were out of stock. The lady rang several nearby stores to track one down, and eventually rang Virgin to find out where I might get one. Was told 'we no longer make it'. Now instead of trying to sell me a different phone, she told me to try Argos. Which I did. This branch didn't have it, but she rang up the nearest branch and reserved one for me. And after I had bought it, the assistant even showed me how to operate it!

Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, my wife and I were looking at furniture and went into a local store where we were greeted by about 15 sales people. I felt like we'd walked into a car dealership. One member of the sales team walked right up and introduced herself and gave us a card and we told her that we were just browsing to which she replied "Thats fine, just call me when you're ready". She then proceded to stalk us around the entire store never more than 15 or so feet away watching our every move. We felt like we were being spied upon. Needless to say, we didn't buy anything.

I need a little customer service in my current job and I always treat people as I would expect to be treated. Of course, I'm not on a commision. lol
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:27 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
In the UK they generally add "now F**k off". I was being polite
Oh how true that is, sad really. My little sister used to works in WH Smiths, she said she used to tell people 'If it's not on the shelf, we don't have it'. She said it was a complete load of crap, it was out the back, but she couldn't be bothered to go & get it!!!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:36 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I was once asked in Albertsons if I needed any help, I said yes actually, you don't have the diaper size that I need. He looked all flustered & said he had only just started working there & that he would go & get someone. I was left wondering why he bothered to ask me, he could have just kept on walking by, I only asked him because he asked me, I'd have just left as I usually get the same crap answer, if it ain't on the shelf, we don't have it.

Although saying that, I was in Target once & asked a guy if he had anymore of the baby wipes I was looking for (I had run out & was desperate, so thought I'd ask to see if a miracle would happen!!!), he radio'd to check & went & got them for me, I was so shocked that he bothered, that I said thanx about 10 times!!!

Compared to the UK, I think customer service here is awesome.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partystar
I was once asked in Albertsons if I needed any help, I said yes actually, you don't have the diaper size that I need. He looked all flustered & said he had only just started working there & that he would go & get someone. I was left wondering why he bothered to ask me, he could have just kept on walking by, I only asked him because he asked me, I'd have just left as I usually get the same crap answer, if it ain't on the shelf, we don't have it.

Although saying that, I was in Target once & asked a guy if he had anymore of the baby wipes I was looking for (I had run out & was desperate, so thought I'd ask to see if a miracle would happen!!!), he radio'd to check & went & got them for me, I was so shocked that he bothered, that I said thanx about 10 times!!!

Compared to the UK, I think customer service here is awesome.
Are you American?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:04 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Are you American?
No!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.