Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Curry Sauce (Chinese style)

Curry Sauce (Chinese style)

Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:20 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curry Sauce (Chinese style)

I know many ex pats. in the US have a problem getting a decent Indian curry here is the US, however what about the Chinese style curry found in Chinese take-aways and some chip shops in the UK?
Search no more, I have found a solution;

It is called S & B Golden curry sauce. It comes in a block from which you can make a curry sauce to serve with noodles, rice, chips etc. or add meat and veggies for a pretty authentic UK style Chinese curry ( even though S & B is actually Japanese.)
I have included a picture from a UK website so you know what you are looking for;

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/product-057612.html

I originally found S & B Golden curry sauce in Little Tokyo in downtown LA however I have since bought it from Pavillions in Los Angeles( but they only stock the medium hot unlike Little Tokyo which has the hot ).

A search for S & B Golden curry sauce on the internet also comes up with numerous on-line sources............... now if I could just find some prawn crackers to go with it?!?!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry Sauce (Chinese style)

Originally Posted by tomelina
I know many ex pats. in the US have a problem getting a decent Indian curry here is the US, however what about the Chinese style curry found in Chinese take-aways and some chip shops in the UK?

It is called S & B Golden curry sauce. It comes in a block from which you can make a curry sauce to serve with noodles, rice, chips etc. or add meat and veggies for a pretty authentic UK style Chinese curry ( even though S & B is actually Japanese.)
I have included a picture from a UK website so you know what you are looking for;

I originally found S & B Golden curry sauce in Little Tokyo in downtown LA however I have since bought it from Pavillions in Los Angeles( but they only stock the medium hot unlike Little Tokyo which has the hot ).

A search for S & B Golden curry sauce on the internet also comes up with numerous on-line sources............... now if I could just find some prawn crackers to go with it?!?!
what about chip shop curry sauce.......mmmmmmmm
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What you bought is called curry "roux" blocks for Japanese curry. Yes, the Japanese have their own variant of curry...

Anyway, I would think that you can find boxes of that curry roux (Japanese branded) in Chinese grocery stores. At least that's what I've found where I live.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:17 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

The exact same sauce as the one pictured ( ok its in a Golden box ) in the link is available at Super Walmart. Its in the International food aisle ....

Its very very good.... almost as tasty from a Chinese Take Away .....
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:47 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What you bought is called curry "roux" blocks for Japanese curry. Yes, the Japanese have their own variant of curry...

Anyway, I would think that you can find boxes of that curry roux (Japanese branded) in Chinese grocery stores. At least that's what I've found where I live.

NC Penguin
What about the prawn crackers??
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What about the prawn crackers??
Are you after ready to eat prawn crackers? If so, they go stale very quickly so you're more likely to find the ready to fry prawn crackers in the same Chinese grocery shops.

You just fry them in really hot oil and they puff up to become prawn crackers.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are you after ready to eat prawn crackers? If so, they go stale very quickly so you're more likely to find the ready to fry prawn crackers in the same Chinese grocery shops.

You just fry them in really hot oil and they puff up to become prawn crackers.

NC Penguin
Thanks for the info. Are they called prawn crackers in the States?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I love that stuff. I always use to get sweet and sour chicken balls with egg fried rice, but I always substituted the sweet and sour with curry sauce. Thats going to be the first meal I have whenever I next visit Blighty.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I love that stuff. I always use to get sweet and sour chicken balls with egg fried rice, but I always substituted the sweet and sour with curry sauce. Thats going to be the first meal I have whenever I next visit Blighty.
It must have been difficult for the farmer just to raise male chickens. I prefer chicken breast myself
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:36 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Are they called prawn crackers in the States?
They are sometimes known as "Shrimp Chips" Look in your local Asian market.

I have also found that some take-aways will have them, but they will not be on the menu, you will have to be creative when you try to describe them
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter will be very happy if I can find that near us - she really really misses the curry sauce and like Pimbot she subsituted the sweet and sour sauce on her sweet and sour chicken with curry.

I prefer the chinese gravy and I miss it so much. Our local chinese take away in Bristol had a lovely garlicy gravy that was just perfect with sweet and sour and the chinese by my mums in Liverpool had really great, thick, dark gravy that was perfect with chicken fried rice. bugger... I'm salivating just at the thought of it.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
My daughter will be very happy if I can find that near us - she really really misses the curry sauce and like Pimbot she subsituted the sweet and sour sauce on her sweet and sour chicken with curry.

I prefer the chinese gravy and I miss it so much. Our local chinese take away in Bristol had a lovely garlicy gravy that was just perfect with sweet and sour and the chinese by my mums in Liverpool had really great, thick, dark gravy that was perfect with chicken fried rice. bugger... I'm salivating just at the thought of it.
I think this will be the ticket, We put less water in than recommended as we like the sauce thick, I am sure if you make it as recommended it is more of a gravy consistancy. As I said, do a search for "S & B golden curry sauce" it pulls up at least 20 sources for it to order from the net. I do not think you will be disappointed. Only caveat is it does contain MSG ( I am sure it does in the UK too)
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:32 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought A hot and Medium hot pack from Publix Supermarket in Tampa for $3.39 each. Going to try a chicken curry and chips tonight fingers crossed

Last edited by vegas; Jan 19th 2005 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by vegas
Just bought A hot and Medium hot pack from Publix Supermarket in Tampa for $3.39 each. Going to try a chicken curry and chips tonight fingers crossed
Great, don't add too much water though ( we put less in than recommended). Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take it out.
Want to report back with how it went/tasted?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Found a recipe to make curry sauce to put on chips (not French fries).

See-
http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk...currysauce.htm

Looks straightforward enough. I won't be trying it. I prefer genuine Indian and Thai curries myself.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.