Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Curry in Albertsons

Wikiposts

Curry in Albertsons

Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:46 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curry in Albertsons

Hi All
Just been shopping in Albertsons. I was able to get Pataks Jalfrezi , Rogan Josh , Tika Masalla and Korma also they had Marmite, HP brown sauce and colemans english mustard. Pity they never had Madras or Vindaloo anyone who wants this should e-mail Albertsons requesting this and if enough of of us do it there is a good chance that they will start stocking these as well

Last edited by vegas; Sep 26th 2003 at 6:52 am.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Why buy the ready sauces, much more fun to make your own sauces !

Best place in No Va for sauces is Bombay Nights in Fairfax for those who are into the hot stuff.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:57 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

My Albertsons doesnt sell any of it, I doubt they will stock it just for me
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry in Albertsons

Originally posted by vegas
Hi All
Just been shopping in Albertsons. I was able to get Pataks Jalfrezi , Rogan Josh , Tika Masalla and Korma also they had Marmite, HP brown sauce and colemans english mustard. Pity they never had Madras or Vindaloo anyone who wants this should e-mail Albertsons requesting this and if enough of of us do it there is a good chance that they will start stocking these as well
Would you mind telling us where you are living and what Albertson's is?

It sounds like a grocery store but does it specialize in exotic or ethnic foods?

NC Penguin
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:15 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I live in Tampa florida and albertsons is a major United States supermarket chain selling everything in the grocery line I was suprised that Tony_2003 says his store does not stock them maybe it is a small branch.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if they still do it, but our local Albertsons, you could request any item and if it was available they would special order it for you. Might be worth checking with them.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Lamb Phal ( serves 4 ) prep 5 mins cooking 1 hr

Ingredients

3 tbs oil
2 tbs curry paste
4-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
8 oz finely chopped onion
1 tsp mustard powder
3+ tsp extra hot chilli powder
3-4 fresh red chillis, chopped
1-2 whole green chillis
3 1/2 fl oz tinned cream of tomato soup
2 tbs chopped red pepper
1 1/2 lb stewing lamb, cut into 1 1/2 " cubes
3-4 chopped cherry tomatoes
2 tbs ground almond
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/ 375*F / Gas mark 5

Heat the oil in the casserole pot. Stir-fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the curry paste, mustard, chilli powder & the chopped red chillis & stir fry for another 30 seconds.

Now add the onion & a few spoonfuls of tomato soup ( to keep things moving) stir fry for 5 minutes or so. Stir in the meat, and put the lidded casserole into the oven.

Stir after 20 minutes, adding thr rest of the soup, the green chillis & the pepper.

After another 20 minutes add the tomatoes, ground almonds & fresh leaves.

Wait 10 minutes, taste-test for tenderness. It should be about right after 50 minutes in the oven. Add the garam masala & salt to taste.

Allow it to rest for 5 - 10 minutes, then serve.

Wait for the morning, making sure the toilet roll has been in the fridge overnight !
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:01 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy

Ingredients

3 tbs oil
2 tbs curry paste
4-6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
8 oz finely chopped onion
1 tsp mustard powder
3+ tsp extra hot chilli powder
3-4 fresh red chillis, chopped
1-2 whole green chillis
3 1/2 fl oz tinned cream of tomato soup
2 tbs chopped red pepper
1 1/2 lb stewing lamb, cut into 1 1/2 " cubes
3-4 chopped cherry tomatoes
2 tbs ground almond
1 tbs chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/ 375*F / Gas mark 5

Heat the oil in the casserole pot. Stir-fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the curry paste, mustard, chilli powder & the chopped red chillis & stir fry for another 30 seconds.

Now add the onion & a few spoonfuls of tomato soup ( to keep things moving) stir fry for 5 minutes or so. Stir in the meat, and put the lidded casserole into the oven.

Stir after 20 minutes, adding thr rest of the soup, the green chillis & the pepper.

After another 20 minutes add the tomatoes, ground almonds & fresh leaves.

Wait 10 minutes, taste-test for tenderness. It should be about right after 50 minutes in the oven. Add the garam masala & salt to taste.

Allow it to rest for 5 - 10 minutes, then serve.

Wait for the morning, making sure the toilet roll has been in the fridge overnight !

only one problem for me on this one can't get lamb round here. i have never seen it in any of the stores.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vegas
Hi
I live in Tampa florida and albertsons is a major United States supermarket chain selling everything in the grocery line I was suprised that Tony_2003 says his store does not stock them maybe it is a small branch.
I am only 45 miles north of tampa and our Albertson have no HP or Colemans
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by candy wy.
only one problem for me on this one can't get lamb round here. i have never seen it in any of the stores.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by candy wy.
It works just as well with any other meat, fish or vegetable you want Candy. Just adjust accordingly. But word of warning, this is VERY VERY hot, I prefer a nice hot curry myself. Take out the chillis to your taste.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
I am only 45 miles north of tampa and our Albertson have no HP or Colemans

Well get on to your local Albertsons and ask them why Ray. Here in Ellenton (just south of St Pete) our Alberstons has a full range of Brit foods - Heinz sponge puds, yorkshire pud and scone mixes, Hp sauces, Heinz beans and soups, Robinsons squash, PG Tips, curry pastes, oxo, marmite, you name it...and Galaxy ripples yey!!
Are you looking in the right place though- hubby couldn't find the British Stuff when he went in- look in the ETHNIC aisle.

If you have Publix....they too have a big range in at the moment again in the Ethnic Aisle.. and they now stock Kerrygold butter permanently
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:09 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

It works just as well with any other meat, fish or vegetable you want Candy. Just adjust accordingly. But word of warning, this is VERY VERY hot, I prefer a nice hot curry myself. Take out the chillis to your taste.

but i am really craving lamb!!!!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
Fact about phal dishes. These do not exist in Indian cuisine. This level of hotness was created for the British "palate" (read drunk British males )!

Frankly, with a dish so hot, you could put kangaroo or dog in place of lamb and the diner would probably not notice!

Also, if you like hot currylike food, try and find some Sri Lankan home cooking (I speak from personal experience) Now, that's hot!!

NC Penguin
Old Sep 28th 2003, 4:33 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a decent curry recipe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.