Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current wait time for UK passport renewal

Current wait time for UK passport renewal

Old Apr 30th 2021, 4:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current wait time for UK passport renewal

Originally Posted by Wh431
ah, what a coincidence. I too have British and german dual nationality.

though my german Reisepass doesnt run out till 2028 but its good to know the procedure.
I think it’s actually a consulate general, I think the embassy is in DC. Not sure where your are in terms of US citizenship, but I also did my
Beibehaltungsgenehmigung
through there before I could apply for USC. I found a lawyer on the Westcoast I used who was much cheaper than the NYC ones I talked to.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I think it’s actually a consulate general, I think the embassy is in DC. Not sure where your are in terms of US citizenship, but I also did my
Beibehaltungsgenehmigung
through there before I could apply for USC. I found a lawyer on the Westcoast I used who was much cheaper than the NYC ones I talked to.
i didn’t even know that it’s possible to acquire another nationality (bar another EU one) alongside your german nationality. I thought i would automatically lose my german one, as soon as i natualize as a US citizen.

As for Beibehaltungsgenehmigung, what are the rules for those:

1) who no longer have strong ties left with Germany? And/or
2) Are not born with a dual German & another non-eu nationality?

I already dread the paperwork required for any german document.

Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2021, 5:38 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

i didn’t even know that it’s possible to acquire another nationality (bar another EU one) alongside your german nationality. I thought i would automatically lose my german one, as soon as i natualize as a US citizen.

As for Beibehaltungsgenehmigung, what are the rules for those:

1) who no longer have strong ties left with Germany? And/or
2) Are not born with a dual German & another non-eu nationality?

I already dread the paperwork required for any german document.

Thanks
I know there was an old yahoo group with DIY’ers but I had a lawyer do it. All the information is in German, and German language skills are a requirement. Maybe because I used the lawyer, but the embassy wanted to speak to me before they submitted it to Germany.

All the rules are pretty complex and often case specific. My own situation with the UK is pretty corner case and only applies to people born in a 4 or 5 year window.

Give the cost of most immigration stuff I thought an investment of $1.5-2k to keep an EU citizenship was worth it. I actually waited on my USC till both my sons were born so they would have all 3 from birth, in case the retention application did not work.
Old May 1st 2021, 12:06 am
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I recently renewed my daughter's. It took one week from them receiving the paperwork to printing and sending the passport. We received the new passport on Wednesday this week and the old clipped passport back today.
Old May 5th 2021, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed mine last month; the new one arrived about 10 days later.

I had one of my kids take iPhone snaps of me against a pale grey wall for the photo. When I uploaded it, it was first rated as Fair which it said was due to color or skin tone issues or some such. All I did to fix it was tap the little auto-enhance wizard wand thing to lighten it up a touch, re-uploaded, then the passport site said it was all good to go. It was accepted and used on my passport with no problems.
Old May 6th 2021, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

has anyone renewed their UK passport (from US) recently? How long is it taking?

when applying online, i was shown that it may take upto 11 weeks but i am hoping that in reality its sooner than that.

thanks
yes last month. 7 day turnaround. very impressive
Old May 11th 2021, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Just did mine. Online application completed April 15h, back with me on April 30th.
Old Jun 9th 2021, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update: i was asked by the HMPO to send in my son’s birth certificate along with a parental consent letter, which delayed the whole thing by a month.

Today i ve finally received an email notification that the new Passport is printed and sent by ‘Secure Delivery’. No tracking nr etc is provided.

Any idea how long will it take from this point to actually receive the new Passport?

Old Jun 10th 2021, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Update: i was asked by the HMPO to send in my son’s birth certificate along with a parental consent letter, which delayed the whole thing by a month.

Today i ve finally received an email notification that the new Passport is printed and sent by ‘Secure Delivery’. No tracking nr etc is provided.

Any idea how long will it take from this point to actually receive the new Passport?
Mine was on its way the day after I got the same email as you. DHL sent an email to say they had picked it up and thats when I was given the tracking number.
Took 5 days to reach me after that, but I'm in Aus not America.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 3:44 am
Just Joined

britmama is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any updates on turnaround time as of June 27th? I'm wondering if the post-Covid rush has kicked in and processing times have lengthened now.

I am also a bit stressed out about the photo. I could not for the life of me take one without shadows at home so I ended up going to a professional photography studio. I thought the photo they took looked great, but it was only rated Fair when I uploaded it. I've no idea what they could have done to improve it. In the box that asks why you think you should be allowed to use the photo nonetheless, I just said that it followed every one of their photo rules, but I'm really worried they're going to reject it, and I need it for travel in just a few weeks!
Old Jun 28th 2021, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

if you need it for travel = don't delay. Best advice is make sure you have it before you book travel.
for me, about 25 days door to door, receiving today
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmama
Anyone have any updates on turnaround time as of June 27th? I'm wondering if the post-Covid rush has kicked in and processing times have lengthened now.

I am also a bit stressed out about the photo. I could not for the life of me take one without shadows at home so I ended up going to a professional photography studio. I thought the photo they took looked great, but it was only rated Fair when I uploaded it. I've no idea what they could have done to improve it. In the box that asks why you think you should be allowed to use the photo nonetheless, I just said that it followed every one of their photo rules, but I'm really worried they're going to reject it, and I need it for travel in just a few weeks!
You might be OK, I did around 2 dozen and couldn't get better than Fair, although i was following all the rules. I just stated that in the box, and they accepted the one I sent.
Old Jun 29th 2021, 12:41 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmama
Here's mine (from Grenada, West Indies)
  • Application submitted 9:12pm on 2 June 2021
  • Application received 9:13pm on 2 June 2021
  • Documents received 1:39pm on 10 June 2021
  • Application being processed 12:19pm on 22 June 2021
  • Application approved 9:22am on 25 June 2021
  • Passport printed and sent 1:34pm on 25 June 2021
I haven't received the passport yet, nor have I received a tracking number from the courier. But life moves slower in the Caribbean!
Old Aug 5th 2021, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

From Chicago, little over three weeks

July 13th Application received
July 20th Old passport received
August 1st Application approved
August 2nd New passport on the way
August 5th New passport received
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
From Chicago, little over three weeks

July 13th Application received
July 20th Old passport received
August 1st Application approved
August 2nd New passport on the way
August 5th New passport received
30 days here (Florida).

July 5th Application received
July 19th Old passport received
July 29th Application approved
Aug 4th Passport received

Photos were rated poor. One said eyes were closed. 2nd one still rated poor. I stated it was an accurate likeness and it was approved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.