Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old May 3rd 2021, 1:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by destone View Post
As of today, you have to self-isolate (no government-mandated hotel quarantine) when traveling from the US to the UK (assuming you were in the US for 14 days prior to travel).

The duration is 10 days but you can cut it down to 5 days with a fifth test booked and paid for (it’s called Test to Release).

There’s an expectation that the UK government will mirror CDC policy in that fully vaccinated passengers need not to self-isolate. However, this may take months as the current UK policy is to discourage international travel as much as possible.
What is the process with the tests that are required in Britain? Do you self-administer them, then have to mail them in for analysis? (Presumably just walking to the post box is not allowed under self-isolating.) Or self-administer and read a result yourself? Then how is the result registered with the authorities?
Old May 3rd 2021, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
What is the process with the tests that are required in Britain? Do you self-administer them, then have to mail them in for analysis? (Presumably just walking to the post box is not allowed under self-isolating.) Or self-administer and read a result yourself? Then how is the result registered with the authorities?
You buy a test package, from one of the providers listed here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/provider...ional-arrivals

You need to book this before leaving the US, so that it arrives in time for day 2 of your stay.

They mail it the address in the UK that you specify when booking, you administer it, then mail it back (there might also be walk-in tests, but I didn't see them in any of the providers I looked at)

The government website says you are allowed to leave quarantine for the purposes of your test, so you would be able to walk to the postbox.

You have to use one of the providers on the government website, so I assume this means they automatically notify the authorities.
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds View Post
You buy a test package, from one of the providers listed here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/provider...ional-arrivals

You need to book this before leaving the US, so that it arrives in time for day 2 of your stay.

They mail it the address in the UK that you specify when booking, you administer it, then mail it back (there might also be walk-in tests, but I didn't see them in any of the providers I looked at)

The government website says you are allowed to leave quarantine for the purposes of your test, so you would be able to walk to the postbox.

You have to use one of the providers on the government website, so I assume this means they automatically notify the authorities.
Excellent, thanks. I didn’t realize they mailed it to your UK address, that makes it easy.
Old May 5th 2021, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the status of transiting through Dublin? I can't find anything on the airport website nor on Aer Lingus about transit passengers. It has a ban on non-Irish citizens entering Ireland from the US. Does this apply to transit too?
Old May 7th 2021, 4:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds View Post
Anyone know the status of transiting through Dublin? I can't find anything on the airport website nor on Aer Lingus about transit passengers. It has a ban on non-Irish citizens entering Ireland from the US. Does this apply to transit too?
I have been looking for that myself, and could have sworn I saw that people with connecting flights could connect there. Can't find it now. Perhaps more usefully, Ireland now seems to be exempting fully-vaccinated passengers from quarantine, although you must have the pre-flight negative covid test of course.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/a6...el-quarantine/

Old May 10th 2021, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

sivas001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Hi all, I need some advice but the UK GOV websites are a tad unclear
I am a British citizen in the US as an F1 Student but would like to go and visit, my parents, at the end of June for 2 weeks. I got vaccinated back in January so I am not sure of the current protocol.
If I have to get tested in the USA and UK, do I have to pay for testing or can I schedule it free through the NHS?
I appreciate any advice, thank you!
Old May 10th 2021, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sivas001 View Post
I am a British citizen in the US as an F1 Student but would like to go and visit, my parents, at the end of June for 2 weeks. I got vaccinated back in January so I am not sure of the current protocol.
If I have to get tested in the USA and UK, do I have to pay for testing or can I schedule it free through the NHS?
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control and all the details. You have to book and pay for tests the the UK in advance, you have to produce a valid negative test before you travel as well. You will also have to quarantine for 10 days hen you arrive, deatils of what that means are on that site as well.
Old May 11th 2021, 5:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The US State Department has degraded its travel advisory for the UK from ‘Level 4: Do Not Travel’ to ‘Level 3: Reconsider Travel’.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Lends credence to the speculation that resumption of travel will be announced in time for the G7 meeting in Cornwall.
Old May 11th 2021, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

destone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
The US State Department has degraded its travel advisory for the UK from ‘Level 4: Do Not Travel’ to ‘Level 3: Reconsider Travel’.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Lends credence to the speculation that resumption of travel will be announced in time for the G7 meeting in Cornwall.
The daily Covid-19 death count is still staggeringly high in the US. Once we see a reduction in death count which is comparable to the UK then we can start to entertain the idea of resumed international travel. I don’t see how the G7 will/should inform this decision.
Old May 11th 2021, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is more that rumour suggests they hope be able to make such an announcement at the time of the G7, providing some good news. The UK is also set to announce reviews of the RAG list every 3 weeks, so it all the stars could align for political credit.
Old May 11th 2021, 10:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone View Post
The daily Covid-19 death count is still staggeringly high in the US. Once we see a reduction in death count which is comparable to the UK then we can start to entertain the idea of resumed international travel. I don’t see how the G7 will/should inform this decision.
There is a Biden executive order preventing UK residents from visiting the US. If their numbers are so much higher than the UK then there’s even less reason to continue to block us from travelling there. The G7 matters because Biden is attending. If it’s safe enough for him to visit here then why not the other way round?
Old May 11th 2021, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck View Post
I think it is more that rumour suggests they hope be able to make such an announcement at the time of the G7, providing some good news. The UK is also set to announce reviews of the RAG list every 3 weeks, so it all the stars could align for political credit.
That’s the line of thinking. Seems a reasonable proposition to me. The industry is essentially begging them to do so at this point.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexled...g7-on-11-june/
Old May 11th 2021, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

ellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond reputeellie_gbr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sivas001 View Post

Just a reminder that with current US travel restrictions you won't be able to reenter the US even with an F1 visa unless you obtain a national interest waiver or spend 14 days in a non restricted country. All the info shared is great for entering the UK but the bigger challenge is getting back to the US.
Old May 12th 2021, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

destone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
There is a Biden executive order preventing UK residents from visiting the US. If their numbers are so much higher than the UK then there’s even less reason to continue to block us from travelling there. The G7 matters because Biden is attending. If it’s safe enough for him to visit here then why not the other way round?
Because the President is vaccinated unlike a sizeable vaccine-hesitant chunk of the US population. Once again, the US Covid-19 death count must drop significantly before restrictions can be eased.
Old May 12th 2021, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ellie_gbr View Post
Just a reminder that with current US travel restrictions you won't be able to reenter the US even with an F1 visa unless you obtain a national interest waiver or spend 14 days in a non restricted country. All the info shared is great for entering the UK but the bigger challenge is getting back to the US.
Incorrect. You can travel on F1 without NIE.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-v...d-travel-faqs/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.