Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jun 11th 2021, 5:43 pm
  #166  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 62,197
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by jammiie View Post
I believe it is referencing next Thursday (June 17th) as this news didn't break until late yesterday.
Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Seems like a dubiously written article. The Atlantic Charter is an old document that is being revamped. Looking at the text on the Whitehouse website, it has nothing to do with re-opening transatlantic travel, per se. Additionally, the formation of a "working group" on re-opening sounds more like a way of saying something without doing anything in the immediate future. I hope I'm wrong!

Raab says "not imminent"

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1863957.html
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2021, 3:52 am
  #167  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 212
destone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nicedestone is just really nice
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Do you mind sharing how you've managed all the testing?

Did you use a paper certificate for leaving the US and arriving in the UK? Use an app? Both?

And if you don't mind sharing, which company in the UK are you using for your arrival tests (days 2, 5 if applicable, and 8)

Where do you get your test for return to the US? From the UK company and pre-book it before leaving the US, so that days 2, 5 if applicable, 8 and return to US test all with one company? Other?

Would love to hear your experience of all of this. Not to mention what all the UK-based tests cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
Check here for test providers:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...#1623026216140

I recommend carrying a paper test result at all times.

You cannot use Day 2, 5 or 8 result for travel back to the US. Use a Collinson Heathrow same-day test for that (that's the most convenient).
destone is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2021, 3:57 am
  #168  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 34,703
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Friend of mine has had 72 tests so far, anybody able to beat that?
Boiler is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2021, 7:13 pm
  #169  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 101
classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

There are cheaper options than the aIrport test though, e.g. Qured Fit to Fly at 39GDP.
classicmds is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2021, 9:30 pm
  #170  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 70
Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Do you mind sharing how you've managed all the testing?

Did you use a paper certificate for leaving the US and arriving in the UK? Use an app? Both?

And if you don't mind sharing, which company in the UK are you using for your arrival tests (days 2, 5 if applicable, and 8)

Where do you get your test for return to the US? From the UK company and pre-book it before leaving the US, so that days 2, 5 if applicable, 8 and return to US test all with one company? Other?

Would love to hear your experience of all of this. Not to mention what all the UK-based tests cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
We took PCR tests at CVS drive thru Pharmacy 3 days before we left, we received the results online the next day. We printed the results and carry them. They were required at check in at JFK and on arrivals in LHR.

Before we left we also purchased a box of 6 Abbots BINAXNOW COVID 19 home testing kits online ($150 plus del) and have brought them with us. We have not used them yet but need to download an app and undertake the test on a telehealth call. Results to be used for entry back into the US. We decided on this option once we realized how expensive the UK approved pre departure tests are, especially as there is 4 of us. Will update on the process on our return.

After much research over the numerous websites provided on the UK Government website, we decided the day 5 test was key and a prompt response would get us out of quarantine earlier so have opted for a drive thru test at LHR by Express tests 69 GBP. This avoids the additional wait for the postage time on other tests. For the Day 2/8 testing there were many options and a variety of reviews suggesting the cheaper providers were inundated and results taking a long time, however, once we had the day 5 test booked, it seemed irrelevant getting a speedy response on these so opted for 'testing for all' 99 GBP for the 2 tests. So far they have been very efficient, the tests were posted overnight tracked to the address we were staying at on our departure day. They arrived on the day after our arrival and we took the tests on the same day, DAY 1 - self test swabs that you then mail at one of the PO priority box mailboxes. Again tracked, we are waiting on the results. These tests were all booked and paid for pre departure and are required on the Passenger Locator form.

In addition, we have each been called (separately) everyday by the UK Track and trace to ensure we are staying in quarantine.

Hope this helps.
Russet is offline  
Old Jun 12th 2021, 10:55 pm
  #171  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 400
Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by destone View Post
Check here for test providers:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...#1623026216140

I recommend carrying a paper test result at all times.

You cannot use Day 2, 5 or 8 result for travel back to the US. Use a Collinson Heathrow same-day test for that (that's the most convenient).
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when

Philk is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 1:58 am
  #172  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 62,197
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Philk View Post
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when
When are you going? I was hoping for an August trip.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:08 am
  #173  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 62,197
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Russet View Post
We took PCR tests at CVS drive thru Pharmacy 3 days before we left, we received the results online the next day. We printed the results and carry them. They were required at check in at JFK and on arrivals in LHR.

Before we left we also purchased a box of 6 Abbots BINAXNOW COVID 19 home testing kits online ($150 plus del) and have brought them with us. We have not used them yet but need to download an app and undertake the test on a telehealth call. Results to be used for entry back into the US. We decided on this option once we realized how expensive the UK approved pre departure tests are, especially as there is 4 of us. Will update on the process on our return.

After much research over the numerous websites provided on the UK Government website, we decided the day 5 test was key and a prompt response would get us out of quarantine earlier so have opted for a drive thru test at LHR by Express tests 69 GBP. This avoids the additional wait for the postage time on other tests. For the Day 2/8 testing there were many options and a variety of reviews suggesting the cheaper providers were inundated and results taking a long time, however, once we had the day 5 test booked, it seemed irrelevant getting a speedy response on these so opted for 'testing for all' 99 GBP for the 2 tests. So far they have been very efficient, the tests were posted overnight tracked to the address we were staying at on our departure day. They arrived on the day after our arrival and we took the tests on the same day, DAY 1 - self test swabs that you then mail at one of the PO priority box mailboxes. Again tracked, we are waiting on the results. These tests were all booked and paid for pre departure and are required on the Passenger Locator form.

In addition, we have each been called (separately) everyday by the UK Track and trace to ensure we are staying in quarantine.

Hope this helps.
That's very helpful, thank you. I hadn't thought of carrying my own return test with me.

I'm surprised they are so efficient at calling you to check up on your whereabouts. If that means they will be calling me on my US-based mobile and will be wanting me to put my geolocator on so they know where I am I had better buy a roaming data package. No landline at my son's place.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:46 am
  #174  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 400
Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
When are you going? I was hoping for an August trip.
Wedding is July 31 s going later July and taking the Day 5 test the Wednesday before then heading home a couple of days after the wedding
That's the plan, trying to fit all the bits together and getting all the info
Philk is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:41 pm
  #175  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 89
Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Philk View Post
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when
As long as the dates tie up then there should be no reason you cannot use the UK Day X tests for entry (i.e. check-in) to US.

We used our Day 2 test taken 3 days before departure to US and it was fine.
Tino is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:44 pm
  #176  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 89
Tino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's very helpful, thank you. I hadn't thought of carrying my own return test with me.

I'm surprised they are so efficient at calling you to check up on your whereabouts. If that means they will be calling me on my US-based mobile and will be wanting me to put my geolocator on so they know where I am I had better buy a roaming data package. No landline at my son's place.
I would add that on Day 1 and Day 5 in UK, they actually visited our isolation address to verify and ask for photo ID. The Track & Trace also called our US numbers each day except one of us once. They simply read a script to you about the rules and confirm you are isolating. Nothing to do with using your phone geo btw.
Tino is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:52 pm
  #177  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 400
Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Tino View Post
As long as the dates tie up then there should be no reason you cannot use the UK Day X tests for entry (i.e. check-in) to US.

We used our Day 2 test taken 3 days before departure to US and it was fine.
Thanks, yes, I'm planning on having my Day 8 test taken on Day 9 or 10 then fly home a day or two afterwards
Philk is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:45 pm
  #178  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 62,197
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Tino View Post
I would add that on Day 1 and Day 5 in UK, they actually visited our isolation address to verify and ask for photo ID. The Track & Trace also called our US numbers each day except one of us once. They simply read a script to you about the rules and confirm you are isolating. Nothing to do with using your phone geo btw.

I'm amazed they have the personel to conduct visits, but more power to 'em. Using my US phone just adds roaming charges, but that's life.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 13th 2021 at 8:47 pm.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2021, 9:39 pm
  #179  
Living the NYC dream
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 136
kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

My friend flew back from Birmingham to JFK via Dublin today. He said that there was no problem at all with passport control at Dublin, although he dodged a bullet because Stobart Air that operates most Aer Lingus flight between Ireland and the UK went bust yesterday and all flights were cancelled. Luckily his flight from Birmingham was one of the few actually operated by Aer Lingus.

Also the Irish government changed the testing requirement overnight for even transit passengers to Ireland. RT-PCR required now. Fortunately he had taken that test and was ok. Not sure what happened to those who had not.
kateinbrooklyn is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2021, 12:37 am
  #180  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 62,197
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn View Post
My friend flew back from Birmingham to JFK via Dublin today. He said that there was no problem at all with passport control at Dublin, although he dodged a bullet because Stobart Air that operates most Aer Lingus flight between Ireland and the UK went bust yesterday and all flights were cancelled. Luckily his flight from Birmingham was one of the few actually operated by Aer Lingus.

Also the Irish government changed the testing requirement overnight for even transit passengers to Ireland. RT-PCR required now. Fortunately he had taken that test and was ok. Not sure what happened to those who had not.
Glad Dublin was ok, but now wondering what Aer Lingus will do. I usually use them to the UK, connecting to Gatwick or Heathrow, and was thinking of connecting to Manchester this time.
Lion in Winter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.