Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jun 14th 2021, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

I'm trying ORD-DUB-BHX this week (thanks, Stobart). I emailed the Irish Border Management Unit as the website advice for transit passengers doesn't seem conclusive. The reply -

As a transiting passenger through Dublin Airport, you would be required to present a negative RT-PCR test upon arrival at Dublin Airport. This test must have been conducted no more than 72 hours prior to arrival to the State. You will also be required to present evidence of your onward same-day flight.

However, please note that all non-essential travel is advised against at this time.

The most up to date information in relation to travelling to or transiting through the State can be found at:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4...d-19-pandemic/
Old Jun 14th 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter flew into LHR T2 this morning and sailed through with no wait, if that helps anyone. At eh check in desk in Atlanta it seemed having decent documentation to support each of the requirements significantly speeds things up as well.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when
The day 2 test can be taken on day 0, day 1 or day 2 but the day 8 test MUST be taken on day 8 (as confirmed on a number of occasions on our daily track and trace calls). Even if you have opted and tested out on day 5 it still must be taken on day 8. As the US entry tests must be within 72 hours of departure I guess you could only use it if you are returning before day 11. Not sure why anyone would travel and quarantine for 10 days and return on day 11 though!!
Old Jun 14th 2021, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russet
The day 2 test can be taken on day 0, day 1 or day 2 but the day 8 test MUST be taken on day 8 (as confirmed on a number of occasions on our daily track and trace calls). Even if you have opted and tested out on day 5 it still must be taken on day 8. As the US entry tests must be within 72 hours of departure I guess you could only use it if you are returning before day 11. Not sure why anyone would travel and quarantine for 10 days and return on day 11 though!!
Thanks for the reply - gov.uk site says 'Take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8' which does bring up the question of 'how many days after Day 8' do they mean...

If they really insist then I can try and work it into the plans
Old Jun 15th 2021, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Like the UK, US actually requires test any time in the three days prior to departure (which could be slightly more than 72 hours). e.g. Departing Saturday 9pm -- you can test from Wednesday 12.01am

Old Jun 15th 2021, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

A note on experience of pre-departure (i.e. departing US to UK) tests.

Walgreens free IDNow test -- results in 2 hours.

CVS free test -- results in a day.

The Walgreens test provides a PDF with test data; the CVS test does not. You can print the CVS result page, but it lacks some information compared to the Walgreens.

In particular, when I uploaded the Walgreens test to the Verifly App it said that it would not accept the test if there was not a named ordering physician on the test. . The Walgreens test had this, but the CVS one does not list this on the result page (though it does list it in the menu page). I'm not sure whose requirement this is and if it would cause a problem outside the Verifly app.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 11:14 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds
A note on experience of pre-departure (i.e. departing US to UK) tests.

Walgreens free IDNow test -- results in 2 hours.

CVS free test -- results in a day.

The Walgreens test provides a PDF with test data; the CVS test does not. You can print the CVS result page, but it lacks some information compared to the Walgreens.

In particular, when I uploaded the Walgreens test to the Verifly App it said that it would not accept the test if there was not a named ordering physician on the test. . The Walgreens test had this, but the CVS one does not list this on the result page (though it does list it in the menu page). I'm not sure whose requirement this is and if it would cause a problem outside the Verifly app.

Good info, thanks.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The EU is adding the US to its ‘white list’ meaning US residents, vaccinated or unvaccinated, will be able to travel to the EU for non-essential without quarantine.
Old Jun 16th 2021, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The EU is adding the US to its ‘white list’ meaning US residents, vaccinated or unvaccinated, will be able to travel to the EU for non-essential without quarantine.
The UK should apply to join the EU
Old Jun 16th 2021, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

We took PCR tests at CVS drive thru Pharmacy 3 days before we left, we received the results online the next day. We printed the results and carry them. They were required at check in at JFK and on arrivals in LHR.

Before we left we also purchased a box of 6 Abbots BINAXNOW COVID 19 home testing kits online ($150 plus del) and have brought them with us. We have not used them yet but need to download an app and undertake the test on a telehealth call. Results to be used for entry back into the US. We decided on this option once we realized how expensive the UK approved pre departure tests are, especially as there is 4 of us. Will update on the process on our return.

After much research over the numerous websites provided on the UK Government website, we decided the day 5 test was key and a prompt response would get us out of quarantine earlier so have opted for a drive thru test at LHR by Express tests 69 GBP. This avoids the additional wait for the postage time on other tests. For the Day 2/8 testing there were many options and a variety of reviews suggesting the cheaper providers were inundated and results taking a long time, however, once we had the day 5 test booked, it seemed irrelevant getting a speedy response on these so opted for 'testing for all' 99 GBP for the 2 tests. So far they have been very efficient, the tests were posted overnight tracked to the address we were staying at on our departure day. They arrived on the day after our arrival and we took the tests on the same day, DAY 1 - self test swabs that you then mail at one of the PO priority box mailboxes. Again tracked, we are waiting on the results. These tests were all booked and paid for pre departure and are required on the Passenger Locator form.

In addition, we have each been called (separately) everyday by the UK Track and trace to ensure we are staying in quarantine.

Hope this helps.
First update on the results.

Testing for All - mail in test on Day 2 - Mailed at Priority Mail Box at 6 PM on Day 1 and results available online Day 3 - 9 AM.
Express Tests - Day 5 - Test to Release - Drive through at LHR (they do have other sites throughout UK) - Appt 12 noon on Day 5 (wait was about 15 mins) results came back same day online at 8 PM.

Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

First update on the results.

Testing for All - mail in test on Day 2 - Mailed at Priority Mail Box at 6 PM on Day 1 and results available online Day 3 - 9 AM.
Express Tests - Day 5 - Test to Release - Drive through at LHR (they do have other sites throughout UK) - Appt 12 noon on Day 5 (wait was about 15 mins) results came back same day online at 8 PM.
Thanks for the update, all this info is useful!
Old Jun 16th 2021, 5:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
The UK should apply to join the EU
+1

Originally Posted by Philk
Thanks for the update, all this info is useful!
Yes, agree.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 2:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

'Reasonable' chance travel between UK and US could resume by September, US Covid expert Dr Anthony Fauci tells ITV News

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-16/...tells-itv-news

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 17th 2021 at 2:08 am.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Flew AA Phily to LHR overnight. Plane about 1/4 full. Everyone got row to themselves. Complimentary wine for everyone. Not sure if this is how AA spends federal bailout money, or if they needed to get rid of it as mot enough business customers! LHR immigration at 7.30am took about 30 minutes. Most people ushered to egates. No-one checked my covid test or passenger locator form, but airline had checked at checkin and at gate, so perhaps associated with passport already? London seemed v. quiet at rush hour.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by classicmds
Flew AA Phily to LHR overnight. Plane about 1/4 full. Everyone got row to themselves. Complimentary wine for everyone. Not sure if this is how AA spends federal bailout money, or if they needed to get rid of it as mot enough business customers! LHR immigration at 7.30am took about 30 minutes. Most people ushered to egates. No-one checked my covid test or passenger locator form, but airline had checked at checkin and at gate, so perhaps associated with passport already? London seemed v. quiet at rush hour.

Thanks for the update. I wonder if they will check up on your whereabouts. I've heard everything from "no sign of them" to "people actually turned up at the door to look at me". I'll quarantine anyway of course, if that's what's required when I do go. Most likely at my sister's house because she has a back garden. I'll take that 1/4 full plane though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.