Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jun 11th 2021, 5:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by jammiie
I believe it is referencing next Thursday (June 17th) as this news didn't break until late yesterday.
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Seems like a dubiously written article. The Atlantic Charter is an old document that is being revamped. Looking at the text on the Whitehouse website, it has nothing to do with re-opening transatlantic travel, per se. Additionally, the formation of a "working group" on re-opening sounds more like a way of saying something without doing anything in the immediate future. I hope I'm wrong!

Raab says "not imminent"

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b1863957.html
Old Jun 12th 2021, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Do you mind sharing how you've managed all the testing?

Did you use a paper certificate for leaving the US and arriving in the UK? Use an app? Both?

And if you don't mind sharing, which company in the UK are you using for your arrival tests (days 2, 5 if applicable, and 8)

Where do you get your test for return to the US? From the UK company and pre-book it before leaving the US, so that days 2, 5 if applicable, 8 and return to US test all with one company? Other?

Would love to hear your experience of all of this. Not to mention what all the UK-based tests cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
Check here for test providers:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...#1623026216140

I recommend carrying a paper test result at all times.

You cannot use Day 2, 5 or 8 result for travel back to the US. Use a Collinson Heathrow same-day test for that (that's the most convenient).
Old Jun 12th 2021, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend of mine has had 72 tests so far, anybody able to beat that?
Old Jun 12th 2021, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

There are cheaper options than the aIrport test though, e.g. Qured Fit to Fly at 39GDP.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mind sharing how you've managed all the testing?

Did you use a paper certificate for leaving the US and arriving in the UK? Use an app? Both?

And if you don't mind sharing, which company in the UK are you using for your arrival tests (days 2, 5 if applicable, and 8)

Where do you get your test for return to the US? From the UK company and pre-book it before leaving the US, so that days 2, 5 if applicable, 8 and return to US test all with one company? Other?

Would love to hear your experience of all of this. Not to mention what all the UK-based tests cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
We took PCR tests at CVS drive thru Pharmacy 3 days before we left, we received the results online the next day. We printed the results and carry them. They were required at check in at JFK and on arrivals in LHR.

Before we left we also purchased a box of 6 Abbots BINAXNOW COVID 19 home testing kits online ($150 plus del) and have brought them with us. We have not used them yet but need to download an app and undertake the test on a telehealth call. Results to be used for entry back into the US. We decided on this option once we realized how expensive the UK approved pre departure tests are, especially as there is 4 of us. Will update on the process on our return.

After much research over the numerous websites provided on the UK Government website, we decided the day 5 test was key and a prompt response would get us out of quarantine earlier so have opted for a drive thru test at LHR by Express tests 69 GBP. This avoids the additional wait for the postage time on other tests. For the Day 2/8 testing there were many options and a variety of reviews suggesting the cheaper providers were inundated and results taking a long time, however, once we had the day 5 test booked, it seemed irrelevant getting a speedy response on these so opted for 'testing for all' 99 GBP for the 2 tests. So far they have been very efficient, the tests were posted overnight tracked to the address we were staying at on our departure day. They arrived on the day after our arrival and we took the tests on the same day, DAY 1 - self test swabs that you then mail at one of the PO priority box mailboxes. Again tracked, we are waiting on the results. These tests were all booked and paid for pre departure and are required on the Passenger Locator form.

In addition, we have each been called (separately) everyday by the UK Track and trace to ensure we are staying in quarantine.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Check here for test providers:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...#1623026216140

I recommend carrying a paper test result at all times.

You cannot use Day 2, 5 or 8 result for travel back to the US. Use a Collinson Heathrow same-day test for that (that's the most convenient).
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when

Old Jun 13th 2021, 1:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
Why cant you use the Day 8 test? I was hoping I could do that and not have to take one more

and thanks for the info, planning to go back for daughters wedding and working out what tests and when
When are you going? I was hoping for an August trip.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Russet
We took PCR tests at CVS drive thru Pharmacy 3 days before we left, we received the results online the next day. We printed the results and carry them. They were required at check in at JFK and on arrivals in LHR.

Before we left we also purchased a box of 6 Abbots BINAXNOW COVID 19 home testing kits online ($150 plus del) and have brought them with us. We have not used them yet but need to download an app and undertake the test on a telehealth call. Results to be used for entry back into the US. We decided on this option once we realized how expensive the UK approved pre departure tests are, especially as there is 4 of us. Will update on the process on our return.

After much research over the numerous websites provided on the UK Government website, we decided the day 5 test was key and a prompt response would get us out of quarantine earlier so have opted for a drive thru test at LHR by Express tests 69 GBP. This avoids the additional wait for the postage time on other tests. For the Day 2/8 testing there were many options and a variety of reviews suggesting the cheaper providers were inundated and results taking a long time, however, once we had the day 5 test booked, it seemed irrelevant getting a speedy response on these so opted for 'testing for all' 99 GBP for the 2 tests. So far they have been very efficient, the tests were posted overnight tracked to the address we were staying at on our departure day. They arrived on the day after our arrival and we took the tests on the same day, DAY 1 - self test swabs that you then mail at one of the PO priority box mailboxes. Again tracked, we are waiting on the results. These tests were all booked and paid for pre departure and are required on the Passenger Locator form.

In addition, we have each been called (separately) everyday by the UK Track and trace to ensure we are staying in quarantine.

Hope this helps.
That's very helpful, thank you. I hadn't thought of carrying my own return test with me.

I'm surprised they are so efficient at calling you to check up on your whereabouts. If that means they will be calling me on my US-based mobile and will be wanting me to put my geolocator on so they know where I am I had better buy a roaming data package. No landline at my son's place.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

When are you going? I was hoping for an August trip.
Wedding is July 31 s going later July and taking the Day 5 test the Wednesday before then heading home a couple of days after the wedding
That's the plan, trying to fit all the bits together and getting all the info
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philk

As long as the dates tie up then there should be no reason you cannot use the UK Day X tests for entry (i.e. check-in) to US.

We used our Day 2 test taken 3 days before departure to US and it was fine.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

That's very helpful, thank you. I hadn't thought of carrying my own return test with me.

I'm surprised they are so efficient at calling you to check up on your whereabouts. If that means they will be calling me on my US-based mobile and will be wanting me to put my geolocator on so they know where I am I had better buy a roaming data package. No landline at my son's place.
I would add that on Day 1 and Day 5 in UK, they actually visited our isolation address to verify and ask for photo ID. The Track & Trace also called our US numbers each day except one of us once. They simply read a script to you about the rules and confirm you are isolating. Nothing to do with using your phone geo btw.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tino
As long as the dates tie up then there should be no reason you cannot use the UK Day X tests for entry (i.e. check-in) to US.

We used our Day 2 test taken 3 days before departure to US and it was fine.
Thanks, yes, I'm planning on having my Day 8 test taken on Day 9 or 10 then fly home a day or two afterwards
Old Jun 13th 2021, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tino
I would add that on Day 1 and Day 5 in UK, they actually visited our isolation address to verify and ask for photo ID. The Track & Trace also called our US numbers each day except one of us once. They simply read a script to you about the rules and confirm you are isolating. Nothing to do with using your phone geo btw.

I'm amazed they have the personel to conduct visits, but more power to 'em. Using my US phone just adds roaming charges, but that's life.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 13th 2021 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 9:39 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

My friend flew back from Birmingham to JFK via Dublin today. He said that there was no problem at all with passport control at Dublin, although he dodged a bullet because Stobart Air that operates most Aer Lingus flight between Ireland and the UK went bust yesterday and all flights were cancelled. Luckily his flight from Birmingham was one of the few actually operated by Aer Lingus.

Also the Irish government changed the testing requirement overnight for even transit passengers to Ireland. RT-PCR required now. Fortunately he had taken that test and was ok. Not sure what happened to those who had not.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
My friend flew back from Birmingham to JFK via Dublin today. He said that there was no problem at all with passport control at Dublin, although he dodged a bullet because Stobart Air that operates most Aer Lingus flight between Ireland and the UK went bust yesterday and all flights were cancelled. Luckily his flight from Birmingham was one of the few actually operated by Aer Lingus.

Also the Irish government changed the testing requirement overnight for even transit passengers to Ireland. RT-PCR required now. Fortunately he had taken that test and was ok. Not sure what happened to those who had not.
Glad Dublin was ok, but now wondering what Aer Lingus will do. I usually use them to the UK, connecting to Gatwick or Heathrow, and was thinking of connecting to Manchester this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.