Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jun 8th 2021, 6:57 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Manchester airport also reports that things are pretty normal.

I'm trying to get an idea of what Dublin is like for transferring flights to/from the US, especially on the way back to the US where they have that US immigration outpost that is often quite full and cramped at the best of times.
My friend flew Aer Lingus JFK to Dublin and then on to Birmingham last week. He breezed through and had no problems.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

As per https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...spreads-in-u-k Dr. Fauci said today – of the Delta (Indian) Covid-19 variant – that “it’s essentially taking over” and that “we cannot let that happen in the U.S.”.

I see little chance that any travel bans will be lifted anytime soon.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 10:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
My friend flew Aer Lingus JFK to Dublin and then on to Birmingham last week. He breezed through and had no problems.

That's good to know. When is he returning? I would love to know what that US immigration bottleneck at Dublin is like now.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 10:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
As per https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...spreads-in-u-k Dr. Fauci said today – of the Delta (Indian) Covid-19 variant – that “it’s essentially taking over” and that “we cannot let that happen in the U.S.”.

I see little chance that any travel bans will be lifted anytime soon.

Well they won't be able to stop it, as far as I can see. They just need to get everyone vaccinated. Or even just let vaccinated people travel. But reach the US it will.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 10:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Well they won't be able to stop it, as far as I can see. They just need to get everyone vaccinated. Or even just let vaccinated people travel. But reach the US it will.
It’s already in the US; it’s just a matter of time before it overtakes the original variant and blocking UK visitors won’t stop that. The vaccination rate in the US is starting to plateau whilst the UK’s continues at pace. Fauci needs to concentrate his efforts on rebuilding trust with the American public, not worrying about a country with the lowest vaccine hesitancy rate in the world.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 11:01 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know. When is he returning? I would love to know what that US immigration bottleneck at Dublin is like now.
He's returning this weekend. I'll update here when I hear back from him.
Old Jun 8th 2021, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
Exactly that. We were pretty slow off the plane with baby in tow and once we got to passport control we walked straight up to the counter without another soul in sight. Was landside about 15 seconds later.
Sorry I said Tino, I meant Russet (i.e. post about arrival at LHR)
Old Jun 8th 2021, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote to Aer Lingus about requirements for transfer through Dublin from US and last week received a reply that told me that all transfers through Dublin had to quarantine in Ireland for 14 days.... Glad to hear this is not really the case (seemed an odd policy...to keep C19 out of Ireland we'd like you to stay here 14 days rather than 2 hours)...
Old Jun 9th 2021, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by classicmds
I wrote to Aer Lingus about requirements for transfer through Dublin from US and last week received a reply that told me that all transfers through Dublin had to quarantine in Ireland for 14 days.... Glad to hear this is not really the case (seemed an odd policy...to keep C19 out of Ireland we'd like you to stay here 14 days rather than 2 hours)...
I emailed the Gardai, since the Dublin Airport site said to do that. No quarantine if you are transferring and not leaving the airport. They were mostly concerned to ensure that I was "eligible" for onward travel to the UK. Also, I believe if you can document an approved vaccination then you wouldn't have to quarantine even if you were entering Ireland. You will still need a negative Covid test to fly at all of course, vaccinated or not.

Aer Lingus customer service is often, er, unreliable.
Old Jun 10th 2021, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds
Sorry I said Tino, I meant Russet (i.e. post about arrival at LHR)
Thanks, we were dreading it but it was actually fine at LHR this morning. Lots of staff,the lines were well managed and we went through quickly. In general T2 was very quiet. Just need to navigate the quarantine and testing now.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 4:37 pm

I do hope this is true. But Thursday has come and gone.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/imp...vel%20corridor.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Russet
Thanks, we were dreading it but it was actually fine at LHR this morning. Lots of staff,the lines were well managed and we went through quickly. In general T2 was very quiet. Just need to navigate the quarantine and testing now.
Do you mind sharing how you've managed all the testing?

Did you use a paper certificate for leaving the US and arriving in the UK? Use an app? Both?

And if you don't mind sharing, which company in the UK are you using for your arrival tests (days 2, 5 if applicable, and 8)

Where do you get your test for return to the US? From the UK company and pre-book it before leaving the US, so that days 2, 5 if applicable, 8 and return to US test all with one company? Other?

Would love to hear your experience of all of this. Not to mention what all the UK-based tests cost you, if you don't mind sharing.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 4:41 pm

He's returning this weekend. I'll update here when I hear back from him.

Thank you, that would be really helpful.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is referencing next Thursday (June 17th) as this news didn't break until late yesterday.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a dubiously written article. The Atlantic Charter is an old document that is being revamped. Looking at the text on the Whitehouse website, it has nothing to do with re-opening transatlantic travel, per se. Additionally, the formation of a "working group" on re-opening sounds more like a way of saying something without doing anything in the immediate future. I hope I'm wrong!

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 11th 2021 at 5:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.