Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old May 15th 2021, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I didn’t say it was. The US is currently on the amber list and will remain so until announced to be otherwise.
Sorry I must have misunderstood because in an earlier post you said "the restrictions preventing UK residents visiting the US will be dropped on Monday."
Old May 15th 2021, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Is this a sign?Quoted from the article linked

“British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will urge President Joe Biden to lift US-UK flight restrictions at their first face-to-face meeting since Biden took office, unless Biden does so before then, a top British official warned U.S. diplomats.

According to a U.S. diplomatic cable obtained by the PBS NewsHour, Robert Courts, Parliament's Under Secretary of State at the Department of Transport, requested an "urgent" meeting with the top-ranking official at the U.S. Embassy in London, chargé d'affaires Yael Lempert, on Monday.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...l-restrictions
Would be a better sign if the source said Biden was actually considering it... Not sure Boris has a lot of leverage with Joe. Why would Biden do what Johnson requests?
Old May 15th 2021, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds
Sorry I must have misunderstood because in an earlier post you said "the restrictions preventing UK residents visiting the US will be dropped on Monday."
If I try to fly to the US (or anywhere else) tomorrow to go on holiday then I’ll be breaking the law and will receive a £5000 fine. As of Monday, as far as the UK is concerned, I can fly anywhere I want.
Old May 17th 2021, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a sign?Quoted from the article linked

“British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will urge President Joe Biden to lift US-UK flight restrictions at their first face-to-face meeting since Biden took office, unless Biden does so before then, a top British official warned U.S. diplomats.

According to a U.S. diplomatic cable obtained by the PBS NewsHour, Robert Courts, Parliament's Under Secretary of State at the Department of Transport, requested an "urgent" meeting with the top-ranking official at the U.S. Embassy in London, chargé d'affaires Yael Lempert, on Monday.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...l-restrictions
For what it’s worth, the U.S - Canadian border would open up first before anything to do with the U.S - UK situation. Are you monitoring that development?
Old May 17th 2021, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destone
For what it’s worth, the U.S - Canadian border would open up first before anything to do with the U.S - UK situation. Are you monitoring that development?
Although that probably depends on how convincing the airlines are that if the US-UK route doesn't open they will go under (i.e. need a big government bailout) Not so much an issue with the US-Canada border.
Old May 17th 2021, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Why would I be interested or monitoring US- Canada Border? I have Zero ties no Family not even Friends and No Businesses. All my Family and Friends are in the UK who I haven’t seen for 2 years now. Also; Like the posted above me pointed out The UK- USA Air Space brings in a huge economy to both countries much much more than the US- Canada Border.
Old May 17th 2021, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Although that probably depends on how convincing the airlines are that if the US-UK route doesn't open they will go under (i.e. need a big government bailout) Not so much an issue with the US-Canada border.
Totally 100% Agree with this statement!
Old May 17th 2021, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I be interested or monitoring US- Canada Border? I have Zero ties no Family not even Friends and No Businesses. All my Family and Friends are in the UK who I haven’t seen for 2 years now. Also; Like the posted above me pointed out The UK- USA Air Space brings in a huge economy to both countries much much more than the US- Canada Border.
I would love you to provide accurate sourced statistics that confirm this. Seriously you think that US/UK flights bring in more money than the US/Canadian border? Where is that smacking my head emoji?
Old May 17th 2021, 11:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

US-Canada trade is about 3x of that with the UK when it comes to exports.

https://money.cnn.com/interactive/ne...and%20exports.
Old May 18th 2021, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
US-Canada trade is about 3x of that with the UK when it comes to exports.

https://money.cnn.com/interactive/ne...and%20exports.
True but the US border is not closed to trade so this is not really relevant.
Old May 18th 2021, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Just in: https://www.natlawreview.com/article...n-adjudication

(This will not affect those currently present in the UK who apply for NIEs at the US Embassy.)
Old May 18th 2021, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I would love you to provide accurate sourced statistics that confirm this. Seriously you think that US/UK flights bring in more money than the US/Canadian border? Where is that smacking my head emoji?
Well it's a fair presumption, given that every article, business lobby and airline spokesperson is advocating for the US-UK travel corridor, not the US-Canada one, to be opened.

It's true that the total value of trade from Canada-US is much higher than US-UK, but since trade in goods has continued from both Canada and the UK through the Covid crisis, the issue at hand is not cargo but the economic value of individual people.

This means the question comes down to the value of (a) tourists and (b) business trips

Both countries have significant tourism (I believe Canada is #1 and UK is #2 of US tourism) and so it's probably true that Canadian tourists bring in more money to the US than UK tourists.

But the transatlantic airline industry is the vital difference, since it has huge power -- opening the transatlantic route could prevent it needing a bailout. The power of this lobby makes it more likely to open the US-UK border first before the US-Canada one. It's also theoretically easier to police an airline border for Covid compliance since the onus goes on the airlines to check test and/or vaccination, whereas at US-Canadian border it would all have to happen at border post.

Also, I wonder if the UK-US route has far more economic multiplier effects, e.g. the London-New York route for business probably generates more economic activity per person than comparable Canadian-US visits.

Thus this article has impressive figures, though there we'd need to see comparable studies about Canada to work out if these figures were more or less. However I can't find anything that computes the economic value of Canadian individuals coming to the US (as opposed to the total value of Canadian trade) https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...d-high-reward/

It's also the case that Canada has lagged with vaccinations compared to both the US and the UK, so even if it was more economically lucrative to open the border, it would probably be a harder sell. Thus I'm not convinced that the opening of the US-UK corridor is pegged to the US-Canada one in a straightforward way.

Last edited by classicmds; May 18th 2021 at 1:33 am.
Old May 18th 2021, 1:42 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

True but the US border is not closed to trade so this is not really relevant.
Of course it’s relevant, all actions send a political message, who was the first Foreign leader Biden called as President… Trudeau. I am pretty sure more Canadians own second homes in the US than Brits.

Now if you said the UK had better vaccination numbers than the Canada that would be a valid reason.

Old May 18th 2021, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone re-entered the US as a parent of a US citizen, therefore exempt from the travel restriction from UK, but without travelling with the child?
Old May 18th 2021, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tino
Has anyone re-entered the US as a parent of a US citizen, therefore exempt from the travel restriction from UK, but without travelling with the child?
There isn’t a requirement that you must travel with the child. Have a copy of the birth certificate and passport (if applicable) at hand. Don’t check in online but show up early at the check-in counter. Someone from the CBP/DHS will verify the information on the phone and the BA agent will print your boarding pass. Are you traveling on visa or ESTA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.