Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Apr 24th 2021, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by destone
The challenge the U.S. has right now is vaccinating a large proportion of the population who are otherwise eligible but lack interest.

Although we hear similar obstacles in the UK particularly as it pertains to NHS practitioners, I do not believe that resistance is as wide-spread in the general population. Of course, we'll know more regarding this subject as supply issues ease.

So in summary, the U.S. is about to develop demand issues whereas the UK is still tackling supply issues.

Until both countries resolve their respective challenges and vaccinate 70-90% (as per Dr. Fauci) of the population, I do not believe that President Biden will be in any hurry to revoke the PP affecting the UK.
Bigger problem is for the UK in regards to US visitors. Not only are a large chunk of adults not interested, that lack of interest is unevenly distributed (think high correlation with Trump-supporting counties). So this is likely to run and run in the areas of the US, so if I were the UK I would be hesitant in opening the doors to the US at this point.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

So Biden is allowed to travel to UK but we cant? How is he going to quarantine etc? They really should consider small baby steps with opening up the travel sector. Like having only vaccinated people travel along with negative covid test. Both from UK to USA and USA to UK.

That would also help airlines enormously. I don’t understand what’s stopping them from doing that?
Old Apr 24th 2021, 4:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
So Biden is allowed to travel to UK but we cant? How is he going to quarantine etc? They really should consider small baby steps with opening up the travel sector. Like having only vaccinated people travel along with negative covid test. Both from UK to USA and USA to UK.

That would also help airlines enormously. I don’t understand what’s stopping them from doing that?
Generally different rules apply to world leaders... even in non Covid times....
Old Apr 25th 2021, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

It'll take time. First, 70-90% of the population needs to be vaccinated. Second, an internationally accredited vaccine verification system needs to be in place.

On the first point, the U.S. is 28% "fully vaccinated" and the UK is 18%. There's still a long way to go.

On the second point, IATA has a Travel Pass Initiative underway with the notable absent of U.S. airlines. AA, Delta, United all need to get onboard. However, we all know how politically sensitive this topic is in the U.S.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 3:37 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
i saw this but then it went quiet

if then heard it wasn’t happening - but that was only other parents who say they “know people” because they work in the feds here in dc ... who knows .... fingers crossed
Originally Posted by BritInParis
It seems likely that the US and the UK will have a reciprocal agreement in place for 17 May. Grant Shapps was dropping heavy hints the other day but I wouldn’t be count on it until Biden lifts his EO.

Hope this is still the case, but doesn't look great with the US elevating the UK risk rating and keeping the ban on for now.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 11:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hope this is still the case, but doesn't look great with the US elevating the UK risk rating and keeping the ban on for now.
I think the doomsayers pointing to this are being premature. The UK is due to release its ‘green list’ on 10 May. I wouldn’t expect anything to change on the US side until then.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

So Biden is allowed to travel to UK but we cant?
I thought anyone could travel to the UK (and then follow the appropriate quarantine rules depending on where traveling from), the only restriction was if you had been in one of the banned list countries in the last 10 days, in which case travel from those countries was only permitted for citizens and people with right to live in the UK. I understood even US citizens are free to travel to the UK at the moment, providing they quarantine on arrival.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 5:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
I thought anyone could travel to the UK (and then follow the appropriate quarantine rules depending on where traveling from), the only restriction was if you had been in one of the banned list countries in the last 10 days, in which case travel from those countries was only permitted for citizens and people with right to live in the UK. I understood even US citizens are free to travel to the UK at the moment, providing they quarantine on arrival.
Correct. There has never been a restriction on US residents visiting the UK. In any case Biden and his entourage are exempt from the normal quarantine rules along with the rest of the G7 attendees.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules
Old Apr 25th 2021, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
On the first point, the U.S. is 28% "fully vaccinated" and the UK is 18%. There's still a long way to go.
23% in the UK - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

And 63% have had first doses, which means theoretically in 12 weeks time they’ll have had both and we won’t be far off 70%. I’m in the 40-45 age group and got my first jab on Tuesday.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 7:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think the doomsayers pointing to this are being premature. The UK is due to release its ‘green list’ on 10 May. I wouldn’t expect anything to change on the US side until then.
Hope you're right. I don't need any more doom.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws have flights booked from Heathrow to Orlando on May 17th. These are flights they've had with Virgin since before the pandemic which keep getting pushed back and back as the flights get cancelled.

However, the past few times have seen Virgin cancel the flights between 4-6 weeks out. We're currently only 3 weeks out and haven't heard anything yet which tells me that the airline is optimistic that this flight can go ahead.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jammiie
My in-laws have flights booked from Heathrow to Orlando on May 17th. These are flights they've had with Virgin since before the pandemic which keep getting pushed back and back as the flights get cancelled.

However, the past few times have seen Virgin cancel the flights between 4-6 weeks out. We're currently only 3 weeks out and haven't heard anything yet which tells me that the airline is optimistic that this flight can go ahead.
Let’s hope Biden is feeling optimistic in time .... gosh I hope so. Thank you for the morale boost :-)
Old Apr 26th 2021, 11:38 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

After the CDC put most of the world on the Do Not Travel list last week, I doubt that Biden will relax restrictions in the near term. The earliest I can see is something being announced at the G7 summit mid June. I hope for everyone’s sake that I am wrong.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just postponed our European trip from September 2021 to September 2022 !!!

Must be over by then don't you think ?
Old Apr 26th 2021, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just postponed our European trip from September 2021 to September 2022 !!!

Must be over by then don't you think ?
Noooooo ... you’re always so positive and “can do” SanDiegogirl ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.