Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Apr 18th 2021, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

My parents are wanting to come visit us within the next month. Was wanting to know what the current travel situation is? Are they allowed to come? After May 17th when restrictions are lifted? They are both fully vaccinated and I don’t know if this is going to make a difference but we are also going to be naturalized on May 19th. So they’ll technically be family of a USC.

Any advice appreciated. I haven’t seen them in almost 2 years now and I’m pretty sure it’s the same with most expats on here too.

TIA!
Old Apr 18th 2021, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

They just need to quarantine for 2 weeks, Mexico seems a popular stop off.

Not up to date with the UK side, assumes they can get to the Airport.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Boiler is right. My family is also taking the Mexico route in order to visit next month.

Even as a USC, you are unable to make your parents exempt from the PP. See here for details: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...virus-disease/
Old Apr 19th 2021, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by destone
Boiler is right. My family is also taking the Mexico route in order to visit next month.

Even as a USC, you are unable to make your parents exempt from the PP. See here for details: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...virus-disease/
how long do they have to stay in Mexico?
thank you
Old Apr 19th 2021, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

14 days currently.
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:44 am
Just Joined

London1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brit USA 2014,

My brother came to see me in the middle of March but had to go through the loops. I was in the hospital and rehab for just over 4 months and my brother wanted to come over to check on me as well as provide help while i was still recuperating. He looked at the airline websites as well as government trying to find out if he could travel. He finally booked with Virgin Atlantic as they said a sibling of a US citizen could travel to see them, what they didn't say was that you both had to be under 21 and not married - clearly if you met us we do not fall into this category he travelled to Heathrow airport and was turned away by homeland security saying he needed to get a special waiver from the US embassy. The visa required was a national interest exception, he had to fill a form on line and i had to send him a photo of my birth certificate, my US passport (naturalization certificate or LPR will do), plus as the visit was for a medical situation I had to get a letter from the Doctor stating what my condition was, what help was needed during my convalescence. I actually got two letters from to docs, one from rehab and my PCP. This process took about 2 1/2 weeks and then my brother was allowed to travel. He did have to have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of landing in the US, he did not have to go through quarantine. He is here for another 3 weeks and has to get a Covid-19 test before he travels back.

Don't know if this helps but good luck in getting your parents over here.

Brendan
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
14 days currently.
sad times ... my parents would never be willing to do that.

thank you for the info
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

There is some talk that Biden *may* remove the ban for the UK due to the high vaccination level there. But who know, they've said this before

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexled...h=793713a13eac
Old Apr 19th 2021, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134
There is some talk that Biden *may* remove the ban for the UK due to the high vaccination level there. But who know, they've said this before

i saw this but then it went quiet

if then heard it wasn’t happening - but that was only other parents who say they “know people” because they work in the feds here in dc ... who knows .... fingers crossed
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's unlikely that the U.S. will require a vaccine when travel does open up. This, and given that all U.S. 16+ residents are now eligible for a vaccine, I do not think that the PP will be revoked anytime soon. Europe is severely lagging behind with vaccination. The Biden administration does not want to come across as encouraging vaccine tourism.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 7:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
i saw this but then it went quiet

if then heard it wasn’t happening - but that was only other parents who say they “know people” because they work in the feds here in dc ... who knows .... fingers crossed

Rumoured to have been discussed as a sort of mutual arrangement between the two countries so that the UK can put the US in their "green" category when the levels are announced in May, despite the rampant covid infections here in the US. So testing would still be required immediately pre and post landing in the UK from the US, but not quarantine, and not another test at 8 days I think. Unclear what those going UK to US would have to do. But who knows. I think I read it in The Sun, of all places.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 12:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It seems likely that the US and the UK will have a reciprocal agreement in place for 17 May. Grant Shapps was dropping heavy hints the other day but I wouldn’t be count on it until Biden lifts his EO.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It seems likely that the US and the UK will have a reciprocal agreement in place for 17 May. Grant Shapps was dropping heavy hints the other day but I wouldn’t be count on it until Biden lifts his EO.
The challenge the U.S. has right now is vaccinating a large proportion of the population who are otherwise eligible but lack interest.

Although we hear similar obstacles in the UK particularly as it pertains to NHS practitioners, I do not believe that resistance is as wide-spread in the general population. Of course, we'll know more regarding this subject as supply issues ease.

So in summary, the U.S. is about to develop demand issues whereas the UK is still tackling supply issues.

Until both countries resolve their respective challenges and vaccinate 70-90% (as per Dr. Fauci) of the population, I do not believe that President Biden will be in any hurry to revoke the PP affecting the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 5:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Although we hear similar obstacles in the UK particularly as it pertains to NHS practitioners, I do not believe that resistance is as wide-spread in the general population.
No data for the over 40’s/45’s yet, but currently vaccine uptake in the over 50’s is over 95% in the UK. So definitely not widespread resistance.

63% of adults have had a first jab, so even allowing for the 12 weeks for them to have the second it’s not going to be too long before enough are fully covered.

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
IS this another hint that a US UK reciprocal agreement will be in place soon?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56865812
No mention of quarantine for Biden in June?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.