Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Social Security Number waiting times

Current Social Security Number waiting times

Old Feb 13th 2015, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Mrssquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current Social Security Number waiting times

My husband arrived on a spousal visa 5 weeks ago. Still waiting. We thought it took 2 weeks??
Old Feb 13th 2015, 2:23 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Social Security Number waiting times

It supposedly takes 2 weeks for new immigrants to show up in the right system (SAVE?). Thereafter you can go into a SS office and apply for a SSN. (Not sure it will get issued automatically).
Old Feb 13th 2015, 2:55 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Just my experience (arrived here a few weeks ago):

Went to the SS office just under a week after landing.
They looked at my visa, tapped something into the computer and told me it would come through in a couple of weeks.
SSN arrived in the post a few days later.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. A received her card in just 3 days after landing. She had ticked the box ‘SSN required’ on one of the immigrant application forms. Problem was the first and middle names were spelt incorrectly and it took a further two months to sort it out.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks. My hubby ticked the same box.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 12:45 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Mine has been messed up.

Been here since the 6th, no SSN yet!
Old Feb 13th 2015, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

We went to the local SS office and he is not yet on the SAVE system. They said they will wait 10 days and then send off for manual entry on to the SAVE system. They said it could be another 6 weeks. SIGH.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrssquirrel
Thanks. My hubby ticked the same box.
I think the experience of many is that ticking the box does not always work. Best to go to the nearest SS office.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Finally got through to the SAVE system. The nice lady helped even though the hotline is for agencies. She said he has been in the SAVE system for weeks! Back to the SS office today. Wish us good luck. � ����
Old Feb 14th 2015, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

We waited the obligatory 10 working days then went to the office and applied. SSN arrived within a week
Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:26 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been in PA for a 7 day home finding trip... applied for SSN on the 11th, card had arrived at my employers address by the 17th!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Yay! Just arrived today!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:52 am
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Applied on the 6th January, still Pending.

Pesky Homeland Security, not understanding my two middle names
Old Feb 25th 2015, 1:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrssquirrel
Finally got through to the SAVE system. The nice lady helped even though the hotline is for agencies. She said he has been in the SAVE system for weeks! Back to the SS office today. Wish us good luck. ������
How did you get through to the SAVE system?? My local office could not be less helpful if they tried. I asked about trying SAVE again and they just said they couldn't do it
Old Feb 25th 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Manjo is an unknown quantity at this point

So even if I ticked the box during the immigrant visa process where they promised to send me a SS card after I immigrate, I should still go to an office and apply the old fashioned way if I want it in a reasonable amount of time?

I had my first job interview yesterday and was planning to start work next week before realising I don't have the number!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.