Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Currency Broker or Internet Banking UK to USA

Wikiposts

Currency Broker or Internet Banking UK to USA

Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Currency Broker or Internet Banking UK to USA

Hi I have read various posts about transfering money but basically I want to transfer a static 1500pounds every month to a Bank of America account (when it is set up in my name). I will be self employed in the US (currently await CR1 completion). However one of my clients is UK based and I want to keep the audit trail in perfect order.

In your experience with this situation Currency Broker v Internet banking which keeps the transfer overhead costs down and is the most reliable?
cheers in advance, sarcasm and put downs welcome!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency Broker or Internet Banking UK to USA

I use a company called XE.com

Checkout their website. They are first class.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
sarcasm and put downs welcome!
OK. Just send the £1500 to my UK bank account and I'll do the rest, it will be very reliable.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:51 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Both HiFX and MoneyCorp do fixed rate monthly contracts. You can fix the rate from anything from 6 - 24 months as fits your circumstances.

Both are cheaper than a High Street bank and give better exchange rates.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:51 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you mean by "audit" but I don't think the UK money has to come across each month, i.e. you can get paid in the UK and simply leave the money there as long as you fill in the right paperwork for tax etc. A benefit in that is in transferring the money when exchange rates are better.

Another option open to you is to open a multi-currency account with a UK bank, move the UK pounds to the US dollar line when rates are favorable, then transfer from there. All capable of being done online.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I'm not sure what you mean by "audit" but I don't think the UK money has to come across each month, i.e. you can get paid in the UK and simply leave the money there as long as you fill in the right paperwork for tax etc. A benefit in that is in transferring the money when exchange rates are better.

Another option open to you is to open a multi-currency account with a UK bank, move the UK pounds to the US dollar line when rates are favorable, then transfer from there. All capable of being done online.
Really? I thought if I was self employed in the US I would have to bring the money over and get it taxed there.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:51 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I thought if I was self employed in the US I would have to bring the money over and get it taxed there.
You would declare the money for tax as part of your world wide income but it can stay in the UK for as long as you like.

Currently I have a contract to move my pension each month to the US, I got a good exchange rate in July 2008 of $1.85 to the £ which runs out in June this year. Then I shall see probably leave it accruing in the UK and move it over whenever the rate is better than it is now. But even though it will be left in the UK, I will include it on my tax return for that year.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 6:24 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Any income (earned, interest, pension, trust fund, etc.) doesn't have to be 'brought over' to be subject to US tax. The tax people here are interested in any income you have, wherever it is earned and wherever it is kept.

Basically, you are allowed foreign income, and the tax people don't care where it lives as long as they get their piece of it.

If you do go down the 'keep it in the UK' route do remember that you have to declare any foreign bank accounts or similar if the total balance at any time during the tax year exceeds $10,000. You just declare it, so they can keep tabs on you, nothing worse than that.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
I use a company called XE.com

Checkout their website. They are first class.
+1
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Any income (earned, interest, pension, trust fund, etc.) doesn't have to be 'brought over' to be subject to US tax. The tax people here are interested in any income you have, wherever it is earned and wherever it is kept.

Basically, you are allowed foreign income, and the tax people don't care where it lives as long as they get their piece of it.

If you do go down the 'keep it in the UK' route do remember that you have to declare any foreign bank accounts or similar if the total balance at any time during the tax year exceeds $10,000. You just declare it, so they can keep tabs on you, nothing worse than that.
The only problem with me keeping it in the UK is that I will need the money to pay my US taxes! Chicken and egg