British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cupboard-essentials-take-us-uk-845789/)

JinxyCat Oct 24th 2014 5:08 pm

Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK

Ok, so seeing as we are going to rival the von Trapp family for largest number of suitcases going with us - I figure I can squeeze in a few more things. So, what are the 'staples' which you think are worth taking in your checked luggage when moving from UK to USA??

I know it's deeply personal, but I just want to make sure I don't miss anything that I'll have to get someone to send to me ;)

So far I've got:
1. PG Tips
2. Bisto gravy granules
3. Rice Krispies multigrain shapes (kids favourite, and I couldn't find when in Scottsdale earlier this year)
4. Oxo cubes
5. Wagon wheels

Ta!
Cat

Englishmum Oct 24th 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Cupboard essentials...to take to US from UK

Bird's custard
Imperial Leather soap and Original Mint Source shampoo and shower gels

Yorkshire Pudding tins
If taking UK cookbooks or using a fave Brit recipe, some UK kitchen scales

JinxyCat Oct 24th 2014 5:27 pm

Oooh, custard. Good call. And my scales are on the way over now, as are my YP tins ;)

Hadn't thought about the mint source shower gel, I do love that stuff!

BubbleChog Oct 24th 2014 5:27 pm

Jelly Cubes that jello powder here is nasty
Suet

I found these which are a bit wagon wheely - Keebler Smores cookieshttp://www.junkfoodguy.com/2014/05/1....iLVi5PMF.dpbs

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 24th 2014 5:36 pm

Nothing is essential. Brown sauce is nice.

MsElui Oct 24th 2014 6:10 pm

a jar of 'mixed spice' . Thats a UK spice 'mix' that you cant get in shops here (like here they have pumpkin pie spice that you dont see in the uk). Its useful if you want to make things like christmas cake, mince pies or christmas pudding etc. You can mix spices yourself to get the same result but if you can squeeze in a jar i would.

if you ever like things like mince pies or jam tarts bring over a shallow pie tray - the ones here all seem to be the deep muffin style.

You already have YP tin.

Make sure you have a pyrex PINT jug - as the UK pints are different to US pints and its easy to screw up a US recipe or UK recipe by using the wrong amount (ie 16 fl oz is US, 20 fl oz is uk). yes you can just use a US one here but some of them dont hold 20 fl ounces so i like to have both.

I would def stuff in some atora veg suet - Id chose veg as i wouldnt want any issues with the meat products at customs. This is for your xmas pud again plus other things like dumplings etc.

If you like steamed puddings then bring over a pudding bason or a sealable plastic pudding dish - as i had trouble finding them here. i got some plastic ones with snap on lids very cheaply in England which are fab. Makes it easy to use. something like this:
. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on something i dont use often - but wanted something easy/safe to steam.

from memory - these are all the things ive had to get brought over from England as i cant find a decent substitute here.

phodg Oct 24th 2014 6:48 pm

You can get PG Tips, HP sauce, Bisto and Oxo in grocery stores in the US. At least round Chicago you can, anyway.

BubbleChog Oct 24th 2014 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by phodg (Post 11449486)
You can get PG Tips, HP sauce, Bisto and Oxo in grocery stores in the US. At least round Chicago you can, anyway.

yeah you can but I prefer to not spend $7 on a titchy little bottle of HP sauce when I can get someone to bring it over from the UK

rpjs Oct 24th 2014 7:16 pm

I've never seen Bisto or Oxo cubes in the international aisle, or in the British shops in NYC. I thought that, like Bovril, they were verbiten because of the BSE scare.

Bovrite is a good substitute for Bovril BTW, for those who miss it.

HartleyHare Oct 24th 2014 7:16 pm

In our house we ask UK visitors to bring:

Marmite
After Eights
Red Bush Tea
Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers
Jaffa Cakes

We can buy most of it here, but it's very expensive. $7 for the tiny jar of Marmite!

HartleyHare Oct 24th 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11449519)
I've never seen Bisto or Oxo cubes in the international aisle, or in the British shops in NYC. I thought that, like Bovril, they were verbiten because of the BSE scare.

Bovrite is a good substitute for Bovril BTW, for those who miss it.

Can't say I've seen OXO, but our local Shop Rite stocks Bisto instant granules. I'm not far from you in Bergen County, NJ.

N1cky Oct 24th 2014 7:27 pm

An entire suitcase stuffed with Cadburys. That would be worth the 55 pound baggage charge :nod:

Pulaski Oct 24th 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11449519)
I've never seen ..... Oxo cubes in the international aisle, or in the British shops in NYC. I thought that, like Bovril, [it was] verboten because of the BSE scare. ....

They are, as is everything that contains, or is produced from, beef/cows, that isn't dairy or gelatin. :nod:

BubbleChog Oct 24th 2014 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 11449529)
An entire suitcase stuffed with Cadburys. That would be worth the 55 pound baggage charge :nod:

Once me and TAS had set off down the immigration route every time I came over I would arrive with a full suitcase then leave it all in his closet. I would then fill the suitcase with M&M's to go back to the UK.

Lx

Jscl Oct 25th 2014 1:12 am

What area are you going to? You might be able to buy a lot of this stuff locally. Sure it's nice to have some fun stuff when you move but you're coming in with a lot of other baggage, and if the customs guy decides to put you through screening it's probably going to take a while. We've been x-rayed twice in the last few years and all we said on the customs form was chocolate and cookies (which is all we had) and it's not fun.

I'd take tea bags, maybe gravy granules (make sure you describe them on the customs form as something that doesn't sound as if it has meat in it) and chocolate, then maybe ask someone for a care package when you're settled.