Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Wikiposts

Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:24 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

We all arrived at Southampton this morning. Speaking for my family, we had a fantastic time and would recommend it to anyone. The activities for children were first rate, and our kids were busy and happy from 9 - 10 am to 10 - 11pm. They checked in with us for lunch and dinner and overnight, but that was about it. It was lovely to meet up with lf1 and britwhore onboard. More details to follow but we are overwhelmed with greeting family today.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:36 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I second Pombat's view on the crossing. We really enjoyed it and I think we would have enjoyed it even more if we hadn't been so tired from the previous weeks of moving etc.

I loved the sail away party and going through the Verrazano Bridge. You really do think the funnel will hit the bridge. We were delayed leaving NY as there was a medical emergency and someone had to be taken off the ship by ambulance.

The food was very enjoyable and there are lots of choices including Vegetarian dishes and healthier choices. We didn't do too much as we were happy just to chill out after the frenetic weeks we experienced just before our journey. We did manage to participate in most of the pub quizzes and we had fun doing that.

Our stateroom was very comfortable and we had no problem storing our luggage under the bed. More closet space than I had experienced on a previous cruise trip. the bed was very comfortable too.

We did dress up for the formal evenings, but you can easily avoid that if it is not your cup of tea. We didn't attend the "balls" as we were too busy securing our seats in the pub for the next pub quiz. We met lots of nice people and would consider another crossing when we have more energy. We'll keep our eyes open for seat sales.

The celeb, Pudsey, that I mentioned, didn't stay in the kennels with Britwhore's dog as he was in a stateroom! Only to be expected, as he and his owner flew over on Simon Cowell's private jet, as you do if you are a celeb dog!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:02 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Wow - you are 'pushing the boat out' if you're paying for internet access from the QM2 lol!

I hope you're both enjoying yourselves onboard and enjoying a well-deserved rest! Did you do the 'meet & greet' ie. photo taken with the Captain? Is it Chris Wells, who did our marriage vow renewal?

I guess you are up to date with Team GB's fantastic Olympic success either through your TV or I should imagine it's the biggest topic of conversation on the QM2...I wouldn't be surprised if they've announced it via tannoy

If you haven't spotted the other BE families yet, then maybe go up to the kennels and you are sure to bump into Britwhore with her mutts, or perhaps you could leave a message with the kennel assistant
Hi D,

Yes , it was Capt. Chris Wells, but we didn't get to meet him being riff raff from steerage class I am not a big sports fan, but I am immensely proud of our contribution to the Olympics and I hope I will have an opportunity to watch the opening ceremonies. We met an American couple on board who were a bit miffed that the UK media is spending,too much time on UK athletes???? Have they ever watched American commentators??? Pot black and all that!

We did finally meet up with Pombat and Britwhore. Lovely people and Pombat's children we so nice. We didn't meet the dogs, but I think Pombat and family did. We saw the pics of all the dogs in the photo gallery.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:12 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Have a great time on the high seas guys
OK, my perspective, as someone who did two Atlantic crossings in the 70s (qE2 & Mikail Lermontov.) I'd love to go on QM2 but know that my wife is not too keen. So I got the brochures and the promotional video in the mail. All the guys in the video look like Mitt Romney (rich, well groomed, computer generated types.) The brochures and video way over emphasize the more expensive classes (Queens grill etc.) In short, the brochures and video discourage one from booking, in that the message seems to be "if you are ordinary working stiff you will feel out of place here." Seems like a bit of a marketing failure..
Please don't be put off by the marketing material. I too was a bit apprehensive about the ship being overrun with the "Chicklet teeth brigade", but I was pleasantly surprised that people we saw and met were just ordinary people. We met some really nice people from both sides of the pond. We met people from their 30's upwards. We had a table for two, but as the tables are placed fairly close together you can engage in conversation if you wish to. We sat beside a couple in their late 70's early 80's and they were a delight. We had such a good laugh with them.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful that you are home great updates ladies.
Good to hear that the kids activities were a hit. I know my Dd would be in her element with so much to do. I'm really hoping we can time it right and travel this way. We shall see.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:58 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wonderful that you are home great updates ladies.
Good to hear that the kids activities were a hit. I know my Dd would be in her element with so much to do. I'm really hoping we can time it right and travel this way. We shall see.
MITF'S, we don't have kids, but we saw a lot of happy kids, of all ages doing various activities and they all seemed so happy. I think the ship itself is such an exciting adventure to explore for them. When I finally tracked down the Pombat family in the dining room her son was not at the table as he was busy with activities! There were more children on board than I expected, probably due to the time of year, not a bad thing at all. I think it speaks to the fact that the ship has a more varied demographic than the marketing people would have you believe.

I hope you are able to sail back. Keep your eye out for the sales and I am sure that those of us that have made the trip will post sale details as they come up
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lf1
MITF'S, we don't have kids, but we saw a lot of happy kids, of all ages doing various activities and they all seemed so happy. I think the ship itself is such an exciting adventure to explore for them. When I finally tracked down the Pombat family in the dining room her son was not at the table as he was busy with activities! There were more children on board than I expected, probably due to the time of year, not a bad thing at all. I think it speaks to the fact that the ship has a more varied demographic than the marketing people would have you believe.

I hope you are able to sail back. Keep your eye out for the sales and I am sure that those of us that have made the trip will post sale details as they come up
I am glad you had a great time. I hear the sun is shining today.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:38 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Back2UK
I am glad you had a great time. I hear the sun is shining today.
Thanks. Are you still travelling?r
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lf1
Thanks. Are you still travelling?r
I am doing last minute things. I will send you a PM later.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Please don't be put off by the marketing material. I too was a bit apprehensive about the ship being overrun with the "Chicklet teeth brigade", but I was pleasantly surprised that people we saw and met were just ordinary people. We met some really nice people from both sides of the pond. We met people from their 30's upwards. We had a table for two, but as the tables are placed fairly close together you can engage in conversation if you wish to. We sat beside a couple in their late 70's early 80's and they were a delight. We had such a good laugh with them.
Thanks for the updates, and glad you had an enjoyable crossing!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
About Pudsey...did you know that Simon Cowell flew him over to the US in his private plane from the UK ?

http://www.justsimoncowell.com/news/4554830946/It's-A-Dogs-Life---BGT-Winner-Pudsey-Flies-To-America-on-Simon-Cowell's-Private-Jet/2867670
I can never hate Simon Cowell, despite the fact he's a bit of a prat who foists bad music on us all, because he's so kind to animals. He doesn't eat meat and does commercials for PETA and now this - not making the dog fly cargo on some plane just to save money, but letting him have as much comfort as possible. All props to Simon.

It's so great to hear what a great time you guys had - now for the fun of settling back in!