Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Wikiposts

Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Old Aug 6th 2012, 5:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Who is 'Pudsey'? I thought it was a bear which appears at every BBC "Children In Need" charity fundraising event, normally held every November.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Who is 'Pudsey'? I thought it was a bear which appears at every BBC "Children In Need" charity fundraising event, normally held every November.
Winner of Britain's got Talent.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:20 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Eh? Is this Pudsey a human who owns a dog in the kennels on the QM2 or is Pudsey a dog?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I met up with If1 and her spouse (K & N) in New York City yesterday; they are very excited about embarking the QM2 this afternoon!

I'll be watching the bridge webcam at 5pm to see the ship approaching the Verrazano Bridge.

By the way, last month when we were on the QM2 we actually heard a surprise announcement from the Captain as we were finishing our dinner. He said that we may be surprised to see that we were going under the Verazzano Bridge again (we were all thinking WTF? ). It turned out that one of the passengers had had a medical emergency and they were returning to NY to get him off the ship. We hadn't even felt the ship turning around!

We headed off back to the top deck with a camera and my spouse took some nice pics of the sun setting over Staten island.

We found out later that the ship didn't need to dock again; it had had to turn around a little way out to sea as it couldn't turn around in a busy shipping lane. The Captain told us that he didn't want to risk having a helicopter hovering above the ship to take a sick passenger off (as winching him up would have been a very unpleasant experience for him) and that the Port Authority of NY & NJ helped out by sending a boat out alongside the QM2 to receive the sick passenger.

The passenger had had a heart attack. He was British and transported to a hospital in New Jersey. I have no idea if he survived or not.

Last week on one of the Discovery TV channels here in the US my son had recorded a documentary about the Queen Mary; even before the QM2 had departed from New York a passenger had had a heart attack and they had to unload him; this put the ship's departure back by 2 hours and the tide was rising. The funnel of the Queen Mary is only just a few inches below the Verrazano Bridge and the Captain had to head dead centre of the bridge to avoid hitting it.

If you can, try and watch the webcam (via the link below) just a few minutes after 5pm (ET) in the US or 10pm (UK time) to see the ship as she leaves NY harbour and goes under the Verrazano!

http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Ma...ridge-Web-Cam/

I thought the QM2 had a helipad. Most modern cruise ships have helipads...to prevent winches being used in case an emergency air lift is required. A few years ago we were sailing back to New Jersey from the Caribbean when a passenger required urgent medical attention. The ship turned around to sail toward the direction the helicopter was coming from. The helicopter landed on the helipad at the front of the ship...the passenger was carried on board.

There is a little more than a few inches clearance when the QM2 sails under the Verrazano Bridge....approx 13 ft. Still not a great distance in terms of the size of the ship.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? Is this Pudsey a human who owns a dog in the kennels on the QM2 or is Pudsey a dog?
Pudsey is the dog...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18048792
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:19 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

There is a little more than a few inches clearance when the QM2 sails under the Verrazano Bridge....approx 13 ft. Still not a great distance in terms of the size of the ship.
Wouldn't it depend on the state of the tide?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
13 ft clearance is at high tide. They wouldn't risk a large cruise ship with thousands of people on board clearing a bridge with a few inches.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 7th 2012 at 2:31 am.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:59 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

So, why aren't we hearing from the folks on the ship lately?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:26 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

About Pudsey...did you know that Simon Cowell flew him over to the US in his private plane from the UK ?

http://www.justsimoncowell.com/news/4554830946/It's-A-Dogs-Life---BGT-Winner-Pudsey-Flies-To-America-on-Simon-Cowell's-Private-Jet/2867670
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
They are probably immersed in real life, too busy to update us...
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:28 pm

Cool Re: Cunard Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Voyage, New York to Southampton

Originally Posted by robin1234

If you watch this superb documentary (which was broadcast on US television for the first time last week and only just added to Youtube last Friday) it shows just how tight the clearance is for the funnel to go under the Verrazano Bridge at high tide. The ship was delayed due to a medical emergency.

Watch it from exactly 10 mins into the video; it goes under the bridge at 14 mins 44 secs and you can see how little clearance there is

(Can you imagine being the Captain and having to say to the CEO at Cunard/Carnival that you have miscalculated and bashed their 800 Million GB Pound ship into a bridge?! )

Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:31 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Because The Internet connection was really slow and it cost 75 cents a minute. I had to get my priorities straight and I decided to allocate the money to my cocktail fund
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:37 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Because The Internet connection was really slow and it cost 75 cents a minute. I had to get my priorities straight and I decided to allocate the money to my cocktail fund

too right, and so would I
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:57 am
Banned

Good thinking! Where are you now?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Good thinking! Where are you now?
Hi Sile

I think they arrived in Southampton, UK today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.