Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Culture shocks?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:08 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by Michael
You don't have to worry about the 56 year old "retired programmer". He retired because he wanted to and he retired with a fully paid for million dollar home and over a million dollars in the bank.

I think it would behoove you to worry more about the poor people in this world.
Sadly a million dollars isn't much these days. The Pacific Peso has been rather eroded and I really couldn't give a toss about you. San Jose is a pit though, so sympathies.

Last edited by Kali-forniarrr; Sep 8th 2008 at 2:12 am.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
San Jose is a pit though, so sympathies.
You obviously don't have a clue.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:35 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously don't have a clue.
I have had the misfortune to go there repeatedly over the years. It's the Slough trading estate of California. Ha Ha.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have had the misfortune to go there repeatedly over the years. It's the Slough trading estate of California. Ha Ha.
At least your personality is multifaceted. Not only are you negative but also obnoxious.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:54 am
Banned

At least your personality is multifaceted. Not only are you negative but also obnoxious.
Crass.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

All I have seen here in the last nine years is lots of people being thrown to the wolves: Probably not to dissimilar to that 56 year old "retired" programmer in the SJ box condo. I have seen lots of hard working, well deserving colleagues shat on by employers, no severence, usual out the door crap. I suspect its probably why you are asking questions about retirement because of some flaky start up situation...let's face it US employers and partnership. That's a joke. If you think otherwise, good luck for the remaining years you have trying to eek it out.

I have a healthy degree of scepticism because I have worked and survived (so far) in corporate here, I know the shitty culture and the two faced nature of US employers. Its just a question of time.

Best of luck in suburban, dreary, White Nut Creek. I know I'll be heading offshore for some decent sailing when my time comes. Just hope the dollar is worth something when I flog this gaff. Thankfully I kept one in London. SF is just a port of yester year. You can't even eat the fish...
Wow. Such bitterness! You've been here 9 years, you don't like it, but you stick it out, and spend lots of energy each day pissing and moaning on this forum. What a life! Well, best of luck to you in your future; I hope all this suffering turns out to be worth it, and you find your own bit of paradise in the world.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbj1000
There a lots of things that come to mind, and I'm sure you'll get a great list here.

...but what really shocked me was how serious "culture shock" actually is.

Read about the four stages of culture shock (and Google for more articles). The first weeks and months are wonderful, during the Honeymoon phase. It's after that that the real trouble can start, and you'll be much better off if you're ready for it. The Rejection stage, for me, lasted nearly 3 years, and I'm still not completely out of it. A strong, even aggressive dislike of many aspects of the host culture can lead to very tough times, sometimes resulting in real depression.

You'll get through it, and come to accept and appreciate your new home, but it can take a surprisingly long time.

In the meantime, enjoy your honeymoon period when you arrive - it really is a blast!
What an amazing link! I moved permantly to Australia just over 4 years ago and had travelled back and forth for several years prior to that. My honeymoon period was extended as each trip was a holiday almost.

I can remember each of those phases and examples in each! Amazing and I had no idea that 4 stage process existed
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:02 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Crass.
Please can we cut out the jibes and stuff.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:22 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
What were the biggest culture shocks you experienced when first moving to the US?

I'm moving there in a few weeks and would love to hear about your experiences.
Depends where you're moving to in the US I suppose. My knowledge is limited to where I live, and where I've visited since I've been here.
Here in Florida, I notice that one of the main questions Americans ask is what are the differences between the UK and the USA. Answer, Everything. because basically everything IS different. The climate, the food, the "football", the laws, the people (definately the people), the way of life, cars, driving habits, manners, money, employers, etc etc etc.
We speak the same language (except we don't really), but apart from that, nothing is really the same. I came to realise very quickly after I moved here, that what another English person who had out lived here a long time already told me was pretty accurate. "You may be living in a country that has English as it's first language, but it's still a foreign country".

Hope you enjoy it out here when you get here, you'll enjoy the change... for a start anyway

All the best!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:32 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dbj1000;6731988] The Rejection stage, for me, lasted nearly 3 years, and I'm still not completely out of it. A strong, even aggressive dislike of many aspects of the host culture can lead to very tough times.QUOTE]

Good point, the "honeymoon" stage is fun, and agreed, the period afterwards can certainly feel much less so.

Thank goodness that I'm not the only one that felt that way, I'm wondering how long it takes for the idea of not being able to settle here generally lasts for.

All the best.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by simongb
Yeah, like I said, I'm the only person I know who does. I guess that makes me mentally ill??
lol. Almost certainly!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Just thought of another one, the laziness and reliance on cars. I was amazed when I first came here and went to a grocery store with an American driving. They'll circle the parking lot 2 or 3 times to get as close to the door as possible rather than walk an extra 50 yards.
The same with going to the gym. So you are going to a place to run and exercise, but heaven forbid you have to walk a short distance from your parked car to do so

Good point It's crazy, but it's completely true. When I first sat in the car with someone doing that I couldn't believe it. It seems like it's a case of "let's waste five minutes driving around the car park to try and save ourselves a 30 second walk". It's insane.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
Wow! Thank you for all your posts- keep them coming!

Quite a few of you have mentioned racism and prejudice as one of your main culture shocks and from what I can tell you seem to be based in quite different parts of the country. How wide spread do you think such attitudes are? Is it mostly a small town mentality? I know it's a big country and hard to generalise but am curious to hear about specific examples etc...

Cheers.

Racism exists certainly. Surprisingly, it seems that Florida has its fair share of it.
I have heard people openly say that they wouldn't vote for Barrack Obama because they don't want a black President. Of course, some of them put it a little more bluntly than that.
I don't know how widespread the attitudes are in the country as a whole, but I do know that it doesn't just extend to working (or non-working) class people. It seems that a good amount of churchgoers from middleclass backgrounds have the same ideals.
It's pretty sickening to think that it actually exists, but it does.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:45 pm
Thought is free.

indigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant futureindigoblue has a brilliant future

In regards to racism, I have found that it is what is not said but implied via body language or tone of voice that you have to look out for, whereas back home the racists just tell you on your face what they think of you - I know from first hand experience. I don't know which is worse
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow. Such bitterness! You've been here 9 years, you don't like it, but you stick it out, and spend lots of energy each day pissing and moaning on this forum. What a life! Well, best of luck to you in your future; I hope all this suffering turns out to be worth it, and you find your own bit of paradise in the world.
Of course, I don't see my statements as bitter at all. Just as a healthy reality check to the elysian, superlatives that you endessly promote of SF over the rest of this country. In fact, in reality for anyone not familar with the local geography, you actually live in a very non descript inland town that is quintesential, 1960s surburbia USA. Probably about 25 miles from SF and a predominately white middle class ghetto. The sort of dormitory settlement that one drives past in an attempt to get somewhere else. If I did not live here, I'm sure I would have grown extremely tired of reading your constant Bay Area superlatives as oppposed to finding them rather humorous compared to the reality: The usual mantra that the weather here is better than X with supporting graphic, its so free compared to so and so, I can eat exotic food in a real China Town or a grotty authentic Sunset suburb. SF is in fact a rather provincial town that has been Disneyfied for the tourists.

What I suspect is the nub of your discomfort in your response, is that my comments about working culture here are a bit too close to home? Especially in view of the amount of pink slips ever flying around flaky start ups. I merely recognize and objectively state the instabilty of these shaky grounds. In the meantime, I'm happy to profit as much as possible and tell it like it is as a helathy check.

Paradise this place certainly isn't. Moreover I think I'd go mental and really would become bitter if I had to live in Walnut Creek of all places. Each to their own.

Last edited by Kali-forniarrr; Sep 8th 2008 at 5:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.