Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Wikiposts

Culture shocks?

Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Saff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Culture shocks?

What were the biggest culture shocks you experienced when first moving to the US?

I'm moving there in a few weeks and would love to hear about your experiences.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:45 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

having to drive everywhere - lack of pavements etc.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:48 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That depends where in the US you happen to live.

It isn't one big country where everything is the same, you can look upon the States as 50 separate countries who have some things in common and within those States areas are different. Bit like expecting Newcastle to be the same as Torquay.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Saff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSaff_London_Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lansbury
That depends where in the US you happen to live.

It isn't one big country where everything is the same, you can look upon the States as 50 separate countries who have some things in common and within those States areas are different. Bit like expecting Newcastle to be the same as Torquay.
You mean Newcastle and Torquay aren't the same?! I'm a Londoner so everything beyond the M25 is pretty much the same to me

I know it's a bit of a general question... but all responses are welcome. I had my last day of work yesterday and have a few weeks now with nothing to do other than shop and think about the move!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Tipping
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised how I suddenly had so many 'best friends' the minute I got here

Seriously though, people couldn't wait to meet me, and they were very welcoming, which I found to be a bit of a culture shock as I am very reserved and don't automatically make friends the minute I see them. And, at the age of 20 and being shy, I was a bit overcome with their boldness. Now I understand these people and many are very good friends
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_London_Girl
You mean Newcastle and Torquay aren't the same?!
In Newcastle they speak Geordie. In Torquay they speak Polish.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

What were the biggest culture shocks you experienced when first moving to the US?

I'm moving there in a few weeks and would love to hear about your experiences.
There a lots of things that come to mind, and I'm sure you'll get a great list here.

...but what really shocked me was how serious "culture shock" actually is.

Read about the four stages of culture shock (and Google for more articles). The first weeks and months are wonderful, during the Honeymoon phase. It's after that that the real trouble can start, and you'll be much better off if you're ready for it. The Rejection stage, for me, lasted nearly 3 years, and I'm still not completely out of it. A strong, even aggressive dislike of many aspects of the host culture can lead to very tough times, sometimes resulting in real depression.

You'll get through it, and come to accept and appreciate your new home, but it can take a surprisingly long time.

In the meantime, enjoy your honeymoon period when you arrive - it really is a blast!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:10 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Directness of Americans which would be considered quite rude in the UK

"I want"

"Give me"

" I need"

"Let me have"

When used in restaurants and dealing with service people in general. Very little please or thanks.

Took me a while to get used to that.

Also the constant phony compliments.
i.e You look great . How are youuuuuuuuuu?!?!?! Have you lost weight? That's a great shirt! Your hair looks great etc.etc.
I suppose that's a good thing though.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to?

My biggest culture shocks were:

- being asked what church I go to by every new person I met & then ignored when I said I don't go to church
- the level of racism here and general far right wing nuts around
- guns, lots of 'em. Nightly news with lots of shootings.
- health insurance
- general lack of employee rights & piss poor holiday time
- not being able to do all my banking online
- no pavements in most places & non-existent public transport so having to drive everywhere
- not being able to nip to someone's house for a cuppa without it being in their appointment book
- driving on the wrong side. I hate driving here. And I still get in the car on the right-hand sometimes & then have to slink out to get in the driver's side hoping that no-one saw me.

There were loads more at the beginning but they're the ones that still get me after more than 5 years.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

oh one more. Metal detectors in junior school, 7 year olds arrested for having paper scissors in their school bag & the kids not being able to use a plastic knife to eat lunch in case they stab someone. They use plastic "sporks". I have to bite my toungue a lot about that.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I was surprised how I suddenly had so many 'best friends' the minute I got here

Seriously though, people couldn't wait to meet me, and they were very welcoming, which I found to be a bit of a culture shock as I am very reserved and don't automatically make friends the minute I see them. And, at the age of 20 and being shy, I was a bit overcome with their boldness. Now I understand these people and many are very good friends
I hope I get the same treatment seeing as I wont know anyone in the area...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Read about the four stages of culture shock (and Google for more articles).

Just looked at the link you sent- hopefully I can drag the honeymoon period out for as long as possible! I'm a bit of an optimist and have no problems living in denial. So which stage are you at now?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I get the same treatment seeing as I wont know anyone in the area...
Just be careful though, as there are a lot of people that just want to be your friend because you have a CUTE accent! But, if you're smart you'll know who'se worth your time and who isn't
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:50 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

standing in the toy section of Walmart and being able to see the gun section

And pick up trucks with rifle racks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.