Default Re: Culture shock?

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Steve wrote:
    > > So let me get this straight - if someone comes to this country to live,
but
    > > doesn't want to be a full-fledged citizen or think the US is the
greatest
    > > country on earth, then they should leave, yes? Is that what you're advocating?
    > No just become a citizen. You are a citizen then you have a right to
complain.

And if someone living in the US isn't a citizen, that affects you how??

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:49 pm
Pussycat

> > Pretty much, by the tone of your last post. "Don't let the statue of liberty hit
    > > you in the ass on the way out" isn't precicely what I'd call welcoming. But
    > > maybe I'm just being oversensitive. Who knows, perhaps where you come from
    > > that's some sort of greeting.
    > That was for the people that didn't think the U.S. is as nice as where
they come
    > from ot don't want to become a citizen.

No matter now "nice" a place is, it isn't home. That's not so hard to understand, is
it? Remember which forum you're speaking in. This is a place for people who are
emigrating because of marriage. In other words, people who are moving to another
country because of their spouse. Trust me, I'd rather not leave my home in order to
become just another foreigner among numerous flag waving Americans. (Apologies to
all thinking Americans reading this.)

> >
    > >
    > > I am a patriotic woman. I love my country and even if I sometimes
privately
    > > think it's the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD I wouldn't insult every other nation by
    > > saying it in public because what's the best to me, might not
be so
    > > to someone else. The word "best" means that all else are inferior and
can,
    > > at best, only achieve runner up status. "Best" is a quantifiable
adjective.
    > > You can be the "best" at a sport if you win a competition. Has there
been
    > > some sort of national competition and the rest of the world wasn't
informed?
    > > Who where the panel of judges? On what date were you awarded the title
of
    > > "best"? Or - shock, horror - could this be just your *personal*
opinion?
    > > (Do you know what that means, I wonder?)
    > I don't work for the U.N. so no need to be PC. The line to get in is
pretty
    > long, so I would say that would make it the unofficial best.

Ah, I see. So because *you* would say, that makes it so, does it? Don't you think
you're taking your own opinions just a tad too seriously? And what do you think about
the way you relegate all other nations to runners up by proclaiming the title of
"best" for your own? Do you care or are you so insulated in the US that the rest of
the world just doesn't matter? Would it bother you if other people projected the same
image on to you, intimating that your country wasn't quite up there making the grade?
Does the word cosmopolitan mean anything to you other than a glossy magazine sold on
news stands?

Like it or not, you need the rest of the world. Where would you be without the
support other nations gave yours after the atrocity of Sept. 11th? No nation can
stand alone, so maybe it's time you considered being considerate of the feelings of
the rest of the world.

> >
    > >
    > > So, fine. Let's play this game. What makes your country the "best",
then?
    > > Achievements? Yea...America has had some fine achievements. So has Scotland and
    > > Britain. In fact, it was Scotsmen who invented the
telephone,
    > > the surfaces you drive on, the pneumatic tyres which go on the Scots invented
    > > surfaces. It was a Scotsman who discovered penicillin. It was
a
    > > Brit who invented television - although maybe that's not such a great invention.
    > > It seems to be the primary source of education for some of
the
    > > more ignorant masses who like to lisp propoganda to the rest of the
world
    > > with neither fear nor favour.
    > Yeah and if it wasn't for the U.S. they would all be speaking German right
now.

You weren't alone in that war, sweetheart. My country, this tiny little island, held
out against the Nazi's for two years all on it's own while it's cities were being
flattened, while it's pilots were being shot out of the sky. The US only ever came
into the war because it was attacked, so let's can this allusion of altruism, please.
If there was any altruism during the Second World War, it came from Britain who
entered the war, not because she was being attacked, but to come to the aid of a
neighbour, Poland, who was being invaded. Read your history before you start
mouthing off. I don't buy into the "Greatest Planet on the Face of the Earth" crap
(thanks for that one, Mr Quale). Of course you helped - I will be the first to admit
that we couldn't have won the war alone. But neither, my transatlantic friend, could
the US. Without at least the landmass of Britain, you could never have launched
attacks on the continent and D-day would have been a fiasco.

So, let's rephrase that particular sentence of yours, shall we? If it wasn't for the
*Allies*, they'd all be speaking German right now. Too many of my countrymen died in
that war for us to be ignored. And let's not forget the Russians who lost millions
in that conflict either. They too were allies. Without any of us, the world would
be a different place, so put the flag down in front of you, back away slowly and
nobody need be hurt.

> >
    > >
    > > Where would *your* nation be without these things?
    > Well most of the people to started this country come from the U.K. but
they put
    > an end to that and the ones that wanted to remain British left. Should
still be
    > the same.

Oh, I can't wait to be in the US for the 4th of July next year! Do you think that
I'll be burned at the stake if I don't salute a foreign flag? If I mention I'm
British, glad to be here, but don't particularly want to be American? You should see
it in the UK on July 4th. The shops - English shops - drape their windows with the
stars and stripes in honour of our American cousins. It may come as a surprise to
you, O Insular One, but most other civilized countries in the world are very tolerant
and welcoming of foreigners - even if they don't plan on becoming citizens, swearing
allegiance and taping the national colours to their pick ups.

You really need to get out more. Oh, and you didn't answer my question. What would
your country be today without all these foreign inventions?

> >
    > >
    > > Now, doesn't this all sound rather childish? Yes, it does. But then,
I'm
    > > playing *your* game, lowering my standards and communicating with you at *your*
    > > level.
    > No, that's your opinion. I just don't agree.

Fair enough.

> >
    > >
    > > America is a great country - undoubtedly. But so are many others
throughout
    > > the world and to question someone's loyalty and patriotism is more than
just
    > > arrogance in the extreme but politeness forbids me to tell you just what
it
    > > is in a public forum.
    > >
    > > Again your opinion. One I don't share.

I didn't expect you to. But opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one. But
some of them seem to spew forth some rather unsavoury items in abundance at times.
Perhaps you should take something for it. Over here we call it "Diocalm".

> >
    > > My loyalty lies with those who've earned it. I don't give my
alliegiance
    > > freely. If I remain in another country for a period of time and feel
that
    > > it's earned it, fine. That does not mean, however, that I'll relinquish
my
    > > past, my identity or my original national loyalties. Even if I *did*
become
    > > a US citizen (by CHOICE rather than as a REQUIREMENT), I'd always be British,
    > > always be Scottish and always loyal to those nations. In other words, if the dual
    > > citizenship right was ever dissolved, I'd keep my red passport, thanks very much.
    > > I see no harm in becoming an American
citizen,
    > > it may even be beneficial, especially if I were to make it my permanent home -
    > > but I'd be a dual citizen. American AND British. And both would have my
    > > loyalties. Not just one. Both.
    > Well you moved here, so you owe the U.S. something and I think the minium
    > requirement is to become a citizen.

No. I haven't. Perhaps if you actually *read* the posts you responded to, you
wouldn't be quite so quick off the mark. I have spent several months in the US but
I'm at home right now. My husband is American and wants to move back. Why else
would I be considering such a move? Out of affection for people like you? Out of a
desparate need to be belittled as a foreigner and frowned upon just because I'm not
jumping up and down with eagerness to become just *like* you?

Give me credit for some intelligence.

> >
    > >
    > > Your country may be great but so is mine and always will be. As I said
    > > previously, I am happy to integrate with American culture, keep the laws
of
    > > the land etc. Don't mistake me as someone "fleeing" from oppression to
the
    > > land of the free. I am planning emigration not to go to your "best"
country
    > > but because that's where my husband comes from. I am going because of loyalty to
    > > him. Not to your country, not to my country. I would
happily
    > > remain where I am if it weren't for him. I am sure I'll find things in
your
    > > country just as good as I have here - different maybe, but just as good.
I
    > > respect people from all nations - and (DO try to understand this
concept.
    > > Thinking is so important...) I expect the same in return. If I don't
get
    > > it, then I form opinions of the citizens of that country and, if it
weren't
    > > for the fact that I have some good friends in the States, I'd begin to
think
    > > that, if you are an ambassador for your great nation, the US might be somewhere
    > > to avoid rather than to look forward to.
    > I'm not the ambassador or welcome wagon for the U.S., just stating my
opinions

Actually, you are. The Internet is worldwide. Everything you say here can be picked
up and read all round the globe. So, every time you log on, you're "travelling" the
world and what you say represents your country. Everyone who types their opinions (by
the way, if Diocalm doesn't agree with you, try Immodium. Excellent stuff.) is being
an ambassador for their nation. Try looking up the word "ambassador" and see what it
means. Every time you're in an international forum (which this is), that's
*precisely* what you are.

You're not doing very sterling work for your country at the moment. I suggest you
reconsider your ill worded remarks and explore the possibility that there are other
nations outside of your own borders.

> and I'm sure if you took a poll it would be one most Americans agree with. Don't
    > want to be a citizen, we don't need you.

Really? You don't need us, eh? So, how do you think you'd have managed your "War
against Terrorism" without us? Do you think that, without the support of my country
and many other countries, you'd have been allowed free reign in Afghanistan? Are
you truly so arrogant as to think that the US is lord over all? That's a dangerous
attitude to take. Let's hope your fellow countrymen and your politicians don't
agree with you.

You don't need us? So why did your government ask for help and assistance with this
particular "war"?

It's attitudes like that which lead to insular, narrow-mindedness and gets you into
all sorts of hot water. And attitudes like yours which will ensure that foreigners
*stop* coming to your country, which I'm sure you'd personally enjoy, but ultimitely,
it'd be the downfall not only of your economy, but also of your status as - ahem -
the supposed "best".

Think about it.

-- cat

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:52 pm
Mjones

Paul, I like your reasoning. I resisted pointing this stuff out myself, because it
meant showing cards that we may or may not actually put into play. But then, showing
our cards was what you intended, eh? Mike

"paulgani" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I may be a moron, but the fact remains you are living here, so just
become
    > a
    > > citizen.
    > As a fellow USC, I protest. Why are you trying to dilute my power and benefits?
    > I *like* the fact that I don't have to compete with foreigners for most government
    > jobs. I'm thrilled that they are ineligible for lots of social benefits. Also
    > that they pay huge inheritance taxes when their USC spouse dies. If they commit
    > any serious crime, we get to kick their asses out
the
    > country! And hey, my vote rules over them - they can complain about the U.S.
    > government all they want, but they don't have the power to make changes, like us.
    > WE rule over THEM.
    > As a USC, I'm thrilled that we have a large underclass which essentially
has
    > no voice, fewer rights, and fewer privledges, but has to dish out the
same,
    > or even higher taxes than we do.
    > Let's make sure we keep our advantage!
    > Paulgani

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:00 pm
Pussycat

> Been to England and it is looking more like a third world country each
day.

I'm sorry that civilisation is so distasteful to you. I mean, it must be so
disorienting for you to walk the streets and see unarmed policemen. It must be very
scary knowing that people aren't carrying guns. If being able to sleep soundly in
your bed at night is a symptom of being a third world country, then so be it. If
being a first world country means that you have shootings on your streets every day,
you're welcome to it. Personally, I thought it was the other way round.

But, as I said, perhaps civilisation isn't quite to your liking. You're entitled to
your preference.

Oh, incidentally, having had the chance to see part of your own great nation, I've
seen places I'd not let my cat wander in without protection.

> Glad you're still speaking English, since if it weren't for the U.S.A.
we'd be
    > reading your message in German which I have no desire to do. Long live
the
    > King

First point of fact, we haven't had a King on the throne for over 50 years. But why
should you be bothered with trivialities from other countries? What matters outside
the borders of the US?

Secondly, don't give me that "we won the war" crap. It's untrue and insulting to all
the men, women and children who died in that conflict. But since I have no desire to
chew my cabbage twice, I refer you to my post to Mr Young on the facts and truths
about that war.

People like you make me sick and if it's your intent to keep foreigners from your
shores, congratulations. You're succeeding better than you know. I for one have no
desire to leave a civilised country to become an outcast in your gun-ridden society.

-- cat

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:05 pm
Pussycat

> America isn't heaven, it provides more freedom and opportunity than any other
    > country.
    > >

Not true. Here in Britain, I have the freedom to walk the streets without being
shot, without wondering how many people are carrying guns in their pockets. I have
the freedom not to be thrown to the ground by a policemen just on suspicion of a
crime. Because here, one is innocent until proven guilty.

I have the freedom to be unemployed AND sick because of the National Health Service.
I remember on one of my stays in the US, a neighbour who had just left hospital after
a heart attack was on the verge of having another one when he received the $9000 bill
which he could only pay a little of.

I also had the misfortune to be very ill in the US and was REFUSED an examination at
the casualty department of a hospital because I didn't have insurance. In my
country, that would never, ever happen - even to a foreigner.

I have the freedom of having a doctor come to my house when I'm ill. All without
ever receiving a bill.

I have the freedom to be safe.

-- cat

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:06 pm
Steve

Would you accept just being called an idiot, or would you like an explanation why? I
realize it's a waste of time trying to teach Bubba Flagwaver of anything, as
evidenced by the quality of today's education system, but here we go:

"Quinkman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > << Subject: Re: Culture shock? Been to England and it is looking more like a third
    > world country each
day.

I've lived here now for almost 5 years, and I'm American, by the way. Third world
country? I see clean streets, educated people, civilized cops, clean air and not a
lot of poverty. I don't see street gangs, kids in schools with guns, I don't see
drive-bys, and I see a country trying to take care of it's own rather than leaving
them out in the wind to twist. I see a health-care system which is free at the point
of use. I see a country that doesn't seperate itself from everyone else by a hyphen.
insert_ethnic_origin_here-American. Must be a different England.

> Glad you're still speaking English, since if it weren't for the U.S.A.
we'd be
    > reading your message in German which I have no desire to do. Long live
the
    > King

First of all, it's traditionally "God save the", not "Long live the", and it hasn't
been "King" for 50 years now. It's "Queen". As in "God save the Queen".

Secondly, the UK speaks english because they developed the language. America hasn't
spoken it in years. (And before you say anything, blame Lerner & Lowe for the
comment. Never mind, that requires reading.)

Swear to god if I hear one more person from my country say "America won the war" I'm
going to shove a history book down their throat. America didn't. Britain didn't.
Russia didn't. The three of them COMBINED did. You might have heard about The
Allies? No?

And true to form, Bubba Flagwaver always brings up the "if it weren't for the USA"
line about WW2, so let's look at history, shall we?

If it weren't for the USA, Britain wouldn't have lost almost 60,000 people in the
Blitz. Whole cities wouldn't have been flattened. Example: Coventry. Something
modern America still doesn't know about. If it weren't for the USA, Britain wouldn't
have had to stand alone against Hitler for 2 years before Pearl Harbor. Events like
Dunkirk would have been avoided. If it weren't for the USA, Britain wouldn't have
had to beg them to start a second front and help end the war quicker. What did it
do? Sit back and say "Keep us out of foreign wars". Ok, in fairness, it sent tons
of supplies and arms to the UK, but with 50% losses. Ships were sunk, crews lost,
what would certainly now be called "acts of war" committed, and the US STILL refused
to join in.

Now then: if it weren't for the UK, the USA wouldn't have had a place from which
to launch the D-Day invasion. It it weren't for Montgomery, Patton wouldn't have
swept across Europe. If it weren't for Russia, the war would have been fought on
only one front, not two. If it were a one front war, the US couldn't have won.
American industry was thousands of miles away, and German U-boats were picking off
the supply ships. Two fronts. That means someone else HELPED the USA win it.
Which means the USA didn't do it alone. In more than one instance, they got the
snot kicked out of them. And by the way, the Russians got to Berlin first.

Truth of the matter is if the US hadn't gone into Europe, nothing would have happened
to the US. It's too far from Europe that Germany couldn't have done anything even if
it wanted to. Turn to Appendix B in your History Revision Handbook and look up
"supply lines".

It's "Amurcins" like you that make it impossible for people like me to go anywhere in
the world and try to give the US a good face. Believe it or not, America is laughed
at for a lot of things around the world. Thanks to people like you, for 5 years,
people always look at me with that "oh god, not another american" look. Thanks to
people like you, the first question I'm always asked is "when are you leaving".
Thanks to people like you, rather than be proud of being American in the UK, I hide
it because I don't want to be associated with the likes of you and all the other
reactionary flagwavers across the pond. I want to return to my country and bring my
wife with me. I want her to feel welcome in her new home. Instead, she has the
impression the country is filled with people like you and Mike whatshisname pulling
the old "America: Love it or leave it" crap of the 60's. Knowing she faces assholes
like you all over a country that big, do you really think she wants to go?
Personally, Bubba, I'd rather stay here and throw away the blue passport than drag
her there to face that. I hope someone can convince her there are still people in
the US who think, who read, who aren't the arrogant twits that she reads about and
sees in the media.

Not bloody likely

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:16 pm
Pussycat

Are there many more at home like you? If so, keep them there, please. The US is
responsible for enough world pollution as it is.

Thanks SO much.

--cat (Off to vomit)

become
    > a
    > > citizen.
    > As a fellow USC, I protest. Why are you trying to dilute my power and benefits?
    > I *like* the fact that I don't have to compete with foreigners for most government
    > that they pay huge inheritance taxes when their USC spouse dies. If they commit
the
    > government all they want, but they don't have the power to make changes, like us.
    > WE rule over THEM.
has
same,
    > Paulgani

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:26 pm
Andy Platt

He's being sarcastic!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "pussycat"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Are there many more at home like you? If so, keep them there, please.
The
    > US is responsible for enough world pollution as it is.
    > Thanks SO much.
    > --cat (Off to vomit)
    > > > I may be a moron, but the fact remains you are living here, so just
    > become
    > > a
    > > > citizen.
    > >
    > > As a fellow USC, I protest. Why are you trying to dilute my power and benefits?
    > >
    > > I *like* the fact that I don't have to compete with foreigners for most
    > > government jobs. I'm thrilled that they are ineligible for lots of
social
    > > benefits. Also that they pay huge inheritance taxes when their USC
spouse
    > > dies. If they commit any serious crime, we get to kick their asses out
    > the
    > > country! And hey, my vote rules over them - they can complain about the U.S.
    > > government all they want, but they don't have the power to make changes, like us.
    > > WE rule over THEM.
    > >
    > > As a USC, I'm thrilled that we have a large underclass which essentially
    > has
    > > no voice, fewer rights, and fewer privledges, but has to dish out the
    > same,
    > > or even higher taxes than we do.
    > >
    > > Let's make sure we keep our advantage!
    > >
    > > Paulgani
    > >
    > >

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:39 pm
Pussycat

God, I hope so!

-- cat

> He's being sarcastic!
    > Andy.
    > --

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:46 pm
Steve

You're right. Let's just trash the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration
of Independence. All three were written BEFORE passports, before INS, before all
this crap about "permanent residents" and all those damn foreigners coming in and
stealing government jobs which I know you qualify for...let's just forget all that
"freedom" stuff and RULE!! Yes! We're Americans, we're the greatest country on earth
and we'll make damn sure the world KNOWS IT!!!! We'll tax the foreigners higher than
good, patriotic Americans! We'll keep surveillance on them! Yeah! Nothing like
9/11 ever again! An AMERICAN wouldn't do that!! Well, one did, but that's not the
point! Yeah, and we get to kick serious offenders out!! Leave the prisons open
for DECENT, HARDWORKING AMERICANS!!! Let them complain!! Our vote will silence
the foreigners forever and make the world safe for democracy!!!!! USA!! USA!!
USA!!! Hey, I have an idea!! We'll make them wear something on their clothes to
show they're not Americans. Yellow stars, something like that. You know those
damn foreigners, they don't always carry a green card so we'll make sure we weed
them out!! We'll talk about it later.

We'll silence their opinions! Who needs it, we're Americans!! We rule the world!!!
Never again will we be plagued with propaganda like this trash!!:

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal that they
are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, that to secure these Rights, Governments
are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the
Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it
is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in
such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

EIN REICH! EIN VOLK!! EIN PAULGANI!!

"paulgani" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
become
    > a
    > > citizen.
the
    > WE rule over THEM.
has
same,
    > Paulgani

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:56 pm
L D Jones

"Michael D. Young" wrote:
    > pussycat wrote:
    > >
[ ... ]
    > > invented surfaces. It was a Scotsman who discovered penicillin. It was a Brit
    > > who invented television - although maybe that's not such a great invention. It
    > > seems to be the primary source of education for some of the more ignorant masses
    > > who like to lisp propoganda to the rest of the world with neither fear nor
    > > favour.
    > Yeah and if it wasn't for the U.S. they would all be speaking German right now.

I don't want to turn this thread into one about WWII history but this simply isn't
true. The Russians would have crushed the Germans even if the US had never entered
the war in Europe.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:58 pm
L D Jones

"Michael D. Young" wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    > > So let me get this straight - if someone comes to this country to live, but
    > > doesn't want to be a full-fledged citizen or think the US is the greatest country
    > > on earth, then they should leave, yes? Is that what you're advocating?
    > No just become a citizen. You are a citizen then you have a right to complain.

This would be extremely difficult (and probably impossible) to enforce and so will
likely never become a requirement anyway. The "authorities" can barely keep track of
who is here now (and who shouldn't be) much less whether or not everyone within the
borders is a citizen.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:02 pm
M1nn0w

I think it's time to stop being baited by Michael's anti-social postings. Some of you
are beginning to paint yourself with the same brush. I am an American. I Love my
Country. I flag My flag in the driveway and on my car. I would offer my life for it
as I have done in the past. I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your
country. I still get teary eyed singing the Star Spangled Banner. I am not an idiot.
I am not well travelled though I have spent time in Europe. I haven't been outside
North America in over 30 years. I don't hold the ideals of this country over any
other. I don't believe that my country is always right. In fact there are times when
I literally cringe at the way we come across. My wife is Canadian. I fly a large
Canadian Flag in my driveway and on my car. I would never think to force my wife to
become a citizen. How ludicrous. My point?? You might have noticed that no where in
this post do I deride anyones beliefs, religion, or country. My country is populated
by Flag waving, gun toting, people. It's a fact. It's something you need to inure
yourself to if you are going to live here. Don't let Michael cause you to start
spewing the same poison that he is. You TOO are ambassadors. Your opinions of the
American People are ALSO read worldwide. We are not a perfect people. Most of us try
to do the best we can. My wife has never been made to feel unwanted. Certainly she's
been kidded and ocasionally she's had to correct some opinions but she loves being
here. She wants to be able to affect what happens around her and so she has elected
to become a citizen. Her choice. Apologizing beforehand does not make being slapped
in the face any less painful. Peace.

John & Deb Can/Am'98

Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spooky Coincidences, Shannon!

Since arriving in the US, I too have been obsessively scanning food packaging to see the amount of sugar (especially breakfast cereal. Also checking for GM products, bovine growth hormone, addititives, etc. Just ask my husband) and missing fresh fish. The only sardines I see are in tins. At least in somewhere like Seattle, you can get the fresh variety, right?

The American media is so very powerful, not just in the US but its impact overseas. It portrays America a particular way- as the "superhero" type country that steps in to help other, sometimes what it considers less able countries.

A film like Black Hawk Down is one such example (OK, I admit I haven't seen it). I think when watching these gungho types films, one has to remember you're watching drama, not a documentary. Thus, the portrayal of actual events

is not a high requirement, bums on seats are more important, if you get the picture.

The US is a huge country and many of its citizens don't even have a passport and a small proportion have probably never even travelled beyond their state. The country's size is part of the problem.

If the average American wants keep informed of what goes on outside the world and get a less than biased view of the world, he/she has to look far, further than most people are prepared to go. This is my personal opinion.

I too have travelled to many countries around the world and have worked with people of from different cultures and nations (Libyan, Pakistani, Venezuelan, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, American, Irish, Austalian, etc).

Now, I'm in the US, I try to make the most of my situation. I don't think I'm homesick and think of visiting the UK. That'd be an unproductive attitude.

You've highlighted one of the negative aspects of the US and Americans but there are good things too and you need to see those too.

I go stir crazy sometimes. I don't have a full driving licence yet and I don't have kids so I'm not as occupied as when I lived in the UK.

There's other things to do than dwell on the negatives aspects of the States.
Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:25 pm
Quinkman

<< Subject: Re: Culture shock? From: "pussycat"
[email protected] Date: Fri, Aug 9, 2002 10:00 AM Message-id:
<[email protected]>

First point of fact, we haven't had a King on the throne for over 50 years. But why
should you be bothered with trivialities from other countries?

Kings, Queens, same silliness

Secondly, don't give me that "we won the war" crap. It's untrue and insulting to all
the men, women and children who died in that conflict.

>>fine, we lost the war, happy?

>>ok, how's this: the U.S.A. was the deciding factor in winning WW2 and if we
were not, you'd be sending messages in a language other than English, that's of
course if you were permitted

since I have no desire to chew my cabbage twice, I refer you to my post to Mr Young
on the facts and truths about that war.

>>glad you still have proper teeth to chew cabbage, (your own I hope) it's a
healthful food

People like you make me sick and if it's your intent to keep foreigners from your
shores, congratulations. You're succeeding better than you know. I for one have no
desire to leave a civilised country to become an outcast in your gun-ridden society.

>>Stay there and rot where you are, there are millions breaking down the doors
to be here and take your place. In the main those whom come here are hard working (so
sorry), patriotic, creative (sorry once again) and grow to love it here.

Oh, we have enough pussies here, so one less is a relief.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.