Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it's OK if kept cold.
I wonder how cold they keep it during preparation. Sushi rice is vinegared (is that a word?) though so I wonder if that kills bacteria.

I don't care. I love sushi and I'm not going to think about this anymore. la la la la la la la
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, have you?
I think you should stick to the smileys, dear ...
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

As desperation takes hold
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:08 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested in the UK regs concerning food manufacture. Here fill yer boots.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/food/index.htm
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well no... You know when you get takeaway food from a place and you take it home to eat it...
Okay, I give up. Apparently, I didn't understand your meaning. Sorry.......
(Third try - maybe I'll get it this time. ) (reading comprehension obviously is not my forte) I have no problem with "takeaway Chinkie", as my OH calls it, as far as reheating is concerned. In fact, I much prefer the takeaway to the majority of Chinese restaurants here. There are only a couple of buffets that we really like and they don't provide "doggie bags" and, in fact, forbid you from taking your left-overs. (Did I come closer to a proper reply that time? )
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from the Chinese buffet (Friday lunchtime with the boys from work.) I feel sick, but I don't think it's food poisoning.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I just got back from the Chinese buffet (Friday lunchtime with the boys from work.) I feel sick, but I don't think it's food poisoning.
I'm not a big fan of buffets generally, but love Chinese buffet...
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I'm not a big fan of buffets generally, but love Chinese buffet...
Yup. Being brought up in England in the 1950s, I still haven't got over the ALL YOU CAN EAT concept. And I'm still thin as a rail!!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I just add a little water when I re-heat the rice, cover it and reduce the temp. on the microwave oven to let it re-steam. Doesn't always work, but does most of the time.
Mr. Tamms taught me a great trick (which I should have thought up myself) where he heats water in the tea kettle and then pours over leftover pasta or rice that's in a strainer in the sink.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Mr. Tamms taught me a great trick (which I should have thought up myself) where he heats water in the tea kettle and then pours over leftover pasta or rice that's in a strainer in the sink.
I'll have to try that! Thanks.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:48 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

The hot water trick also works with cold boiled eggs too. Egg into coffee cup, cover with boiled water, leave for 6o secs, perfect.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Pasta's probably alright, but surely the rice would be soggy? We usually stick a spoonful of water in the container and microwave for a minute or two.

Good rice doesn't really smell of much but bad rice does - and oddly goes soggy on its own, but it has to be a couple of days at room temperature for that to happen. Kept in a fridge, it's fine for a couple of days at least. The problem with take-aways or restaurants is you don't know how long it's been kept warm. Worse still, it might be leftovers from lunch by the time you order it early evening. Rice really isn't hard to look after but as I say, you don't know what the restaurant has done with it. The problem with these (yawn) economic times (/yawn) is rice has nearly doubled in cost in just a few years and people are trying to save money.

Disclaimer: Wife is a riceaholic. She actually gets withdrawal symptoms if she goes a day without rice. But then she's Asian and would normally eat rice thrice a day.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Pasta's probably alright, but surely the rice would be soggy? We usually stick a spoonful of water in the container and microwave for a minute or two.

Good rice doesn't really smell of much but bad rice does - and oddly goes soggy on its own, but it has to be a couple of days at room temperature for that to happen. Kept in a fridge, it's fine for a couple of days at least. The problem with take-aways or restaurants is you don't know how long it's been kept warm. Worse still, it might be leftovers from lunch by the time you order it early evening. Rice really isn't hard to look after but as I say, you don't know what the restaurant has done with it. The problem with these (yawn) economic times (/yawn) is rice has nearly doubled in cost in just a few years and people are trying to save money.

Disclaimer: Wife is a riceaholic. She actually gets withdrawal symptoms if she goes a day without rice. But then she's Asian and would normally eat rice thrice a day.
I usually don't do this with the rice from the takeaway...that just gets mixed in with the meat/veggies and zapped! However, I have recently acquired a rice steamer (fabulous) and it doesn't have the same texture as the takeaway and you can't tell if it is soggy because I mix so much other stuff in with it after
Old Oct 15th 2011, 1:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I wonder how cold they keep it during preparation. Sushi rice is vinegared (is that a word?) though so I wonder if that kills bacteria.

I don't care. I love sushi and I'm not going to think about this anymore. la la la la la la la
It's usually not cold when prep'ed though, it's the warmth along with the vinegar that helps it to stick.

Though if not eaten straight away, plonking on ice to cool it down quick is the key as it is the keeping at room temp that is the dodgy part.

As for re-heating rice, just damp a kitchen towel and plonk on top and nuke for a couple mins to re-steam the rice.

Though that's one of the appeals to a rice cooker in Japan as it keeps the rice hot and steamed so it doesn't go bad.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:47 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Egg fried rice for breakfast is my chosen solution to the left over rice dilema.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.