Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:17 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
'Been here 15 years. I think I have come to identify more as a Merkan, than a Brit.
'Was listening to Five Live and they were having a debate about taking leftovers from a restaurant. They used the term "doggy-bag" instead of a box.

I'd say 3/4 of the callers and guests' sentiment was that taking leftovers is uncouth, and embarrassing. I just don't get it. You paid for the meal, and is it better to just throw the leftovers in the trash? And they lecture us on waste...

And I also thought they (especially the callers) sounded rather unworldly.
I guess being around Mexican, Thai, Mongolian, Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, Korean restaurants broadens one's outlook. That may sound a bit snobbish, but hearing some Yorkshireman repeatedly call pizza "pitzer" and describing it as "dough with bits" made me face-palm a little.
I've always got a box since I came here, after all I am a Yorkshireman and if I don't have to pay for lunch tomorrow I'll be happy.

Oh and speaking of Mongolian. WTF is Mongolian barbeque all about? Sure the food is good, but it has absolutely no relation to Mongolian cuisine.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:19 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I've always got a box since I came here, after all I am a Yorkshireman and if I don't have to pay for lunch tomorrow I'll be happy.

Oh and speaking of Mongolian. WTF is Mongolian barbeque all about? Sure the food is good, but it has absolutely no relation to Mongolian cuisine.
Mongolian food is so bad, neither Mongolian barbeque nor Mongolian hotpot nor Mongolian Beef are Mongolian. Mongolian food is so bad, I was left with the impression that flavour was the main Mongolian export. Its just that you are so happy to eat when you can, that you force the stuff down yourself. The thought of what they called Schnitzel gives my shivers. In one place they had no proper food, but they were selling ice cream, I have no idea what flavour it was supposed to be, but it tasted like mutton flavour to me.

I'm going off on one now. The Airag was good, fermented mares milk, but the cheese, it was like rock. Most things had no taste, if they had taste, then it tasted of mutton, except the mutton.

And who else cooks with stones? shoot a marmot, skin it; stick it in a pan with water and chuck hot stones in. Where else would that be the best meal you had?

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 12th 2011 at 10:47 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:42 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
My parents are here for a couple of weeks, so I just asked my mother why they don't take home the left over food from reataurants and her reply was

"a lot of places don't like you doing it because of health and safety reasons and the restaurants can't guarantee you heat it up properly when you get home and could possibly get food poisoning"

She used to be a chef so I guess she would have a decent idea.
Health and ****ing safety... My parents just spent a month here (this is their longest visit.) They've been here maybe 12 times. They're finally cottoning on with the liberty/personal choice aspects I love about the US. Things like not having to wear a motor cycle helmet, etc. Sure, it's probably not smart not to wear one, but leave it up to the individual. Heck, I even got my mum to concede firearms have a place, even though she is terrified of them.

So the restaurant thinks I'm a moron who can't store and prepare food properly? I could never go back to that nannying mindset. I really couldn't. And that's what I mean. I have made the cultural switch now and British behavior is foreign, eccentric.

I was out in a bar with my ex brother-in-law and was wearing a baseball cap. I was told remove my hat. I scoffed. They told me I had to. So we left.
Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

Egg n' chips, anyone?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:45 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Health and ****ing safety... My parents just spent a month here (this is their longest visit.) They've been here maybe 12 times. They're finally cottoning on with the liberty/personal choice aspects I love about the US. Things like not having to wear a motor cycle helmet, etc. Sure, it's probably not smart not to wear one, but leave it up to the individual. Heck, I even got my mum to concede firearms have a place, even though she is terrified of them.

So the restaurant thinks I'm a moron who can't store and prepare food properly? I could never go back to that nannying mindset. I really couldn't. And that's what I mean. I have made the cultural switch now and British behavior is foreign, eccentric.

I was out in a bar with my ex brother-in-law and was wearing a baseball cap. I was told remove my hat. I scoffed. They told me I had to. So we left.
Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

Egg n' chips, anyone?
I think it's more of a "if there's blame there's a claim" type of thing. I am all for the doggy bag she was just talking from experience.

Sometimes reading your postings I wouldn't trust you with a doggy bag though.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Mongolian food is so bad, neither Mongolian barbeque nor Mongolian hotpot are Mongolian. Mongolian food is so bad, I was left with the impression that flavour was the main Mongolian export. Its just that you are so happy to eat when you can, that you force the stuff down yourself. The thought of what they called Schnitzel gives my shivers. In one place they had no proper food, but they were selling ice cream, I have no idea what flavour it was supposed to be, but it tasted like mutton flavour to me.

I'm going off on one now. The Airag was good, fermented mares milk, but the cheese, it was like rock. Most things had no taste, if they had taste, then it tasted of mutton, except the mutton.

And who else cooks with stones? shoot a marmot, skin it; stick it in a pan with water and chuck hot stones in. Where else would that be the best meal you had?

Ditto that for Kenyan food. At least the food I tried. Had a roommate invite us to dinner with her Kenyan friend. We went out to the big international farmer's market with the friend, and she picked out all the ingredients and explained what they were.
Sure, maybe she was a bad cook, but everything was just so bland and tasteless. I've had bad Morrocan like that too. Lamb, rice, a giant shredded onion... that's it?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:49 pm
Peace onion

I think it's more of a "if there's blame there's a claim" type of thing. I am all for the doggy bag she was just talking from experience.

Huh, what does that mean? As someone else said, I don't care for the term doggy bag. I prefer 'box'. Only in America... in a fairly upscale restaurant with friends celebrating birthdays, and the finely dressed waiter came over and asks to clear away my "granola/country" friend Rod, who says, "Yeah, box that shit." Waiter doesn't bat an eyelid.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I really don't see the reason why I can't take home whatever is left on my plate. I paid for it, it's mine is the way I see it. Ive mentioned this to my MIL and she said it's just not really that common. I don't get why. I'm perfectly of chilling and re-heating my food and if I don't, then it's my own fault.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:53 pm
Peace onion

It might be to do with refrigerator sizes, too. My parent's fridge is quite small.
I'd do things like buy a pound of tuna salad. And then over the next week, take some from the container and make sandwiches. Parents were visiting one time, a few years back, and they were mortified at this.

If it's been in the fridge longer than two days, they weren't having any.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:56 pm

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Huh, what does that mean? As someone else said, I don't care for the term doggy bag. I prefer 'box'. Only in America... in a fairly upscale restaurant with friends celebrating birthdays, and the finely dressed waiter came over and asks to clear away my "granola/country" friend Rod, who says, "Yeah, box that shit." Waiter doesn't bat an eyelid.
Well you may well be a real nice bloke that I would hang out with but your postings always seem to be rants about everyday things blown out of proprtion. Just an observation.

I am all for taking home the food I have paid for. I totally agree with you there. They were still referred to as doggy bags when I moved here about ten years ago, the term 'box' seems to be a much newer thing.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:03 pm
Peace onion

Rants? Things taken out of proportion? Moi? Surely you jest.

You have to inject a bit of passion else no-one will take part in the conversation.

And I am a real nice bloke in person.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

ned1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond reputened1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe growing up in the UK has seriously changed my outlook on life. I find it embarrassing that you would want to take food home, or walk out of a restaurant with it, more to the point.

You get dressed up, nice meal, few glasses of vino then get given a polystyrene box to put your "leftovers" in?

I still dont get it
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:10 pm

Rants? Things taken out of proportion? Moi? Surely you jest.

You have to inject a bit of passion else no-one will take part in the conversation.

And I am a real nice bloke in person.
Seen the three word thread? Most passionless thread ever but it's like VD, just keeps coming back over and over.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned1983
Maybe growing up in the UK has seriously changed my outlook on life. I find it embarrassing that you would want to take food home, or walk out of a restaurant with it, more to the point.

You get dressed up, nice meal, few glasses of vino then get given a polystyrene box to put your "leftovers" in?

I still dont get it
There is another one, I no longer remember the last time I got dressed up to eat. I can not imagine doing it in the UK now either. (tell a lie, I remember now; Teatro Zinzani; which is a show with dinner, and very much an event) You see shorts and t-shirts even in nice restaurants here.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:11 pm
Peace onion

I can honestly say that in all the years I have been on these forums, and all the debates and shenanigans, that quote, and its subsequent explanation, is quite possibly the most upsetting and depressing remark I've even received.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:12 pm

I can honestly say that in all the years I have been on these forums, and all the debates and shenanigans, that quote, and its subsequent explanation, is quite possibly the most upsetting and depressing remark I've even received.
I'm sure you'll get over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.