Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

I doubt many people would be keeping their leftovers from there though!
Some good comments on this question...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
No, we don't go out much either
And that was with the children. If I'm talking about going out just me and the wife, the last time we did that was when she was about 7 months pregnant with our daughter who turns two in a few months

Saves money I suppose

Originally Posted by robin1234
Good grief - given the only thing usually left over at McD's are the chips, why even discuss it? They're shite the first time around, would reheating even be able to make them any worse
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a doggy bag or even remotely considered one.

To be honest it seems a bit cheap taking ones left-overs home, something one would expect of the poor or working class if they've been out for their one big meal of the year.
That sounds uncharacteristically snobbish of you!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
If I have eaten a Thai meal on a Monday night, the last thing I want is more of the same Thai food on Tue or Wed - yeesh.

I could eat Thai food every day ... I would imagine that's what most Thai people do ... I do hear that a lot - "we just ate Indian on Saturday" ... well, let's eat it again today!

For me, though - I simply push the limits of food storage - I will keep some leftovers for a week without hesitation ... my fridge has been described as something of a laboratory experiment ! I'm super careful with anything 'dairy' - once got sick eating leftover Cheesecake and will never go down that path again ... .
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wonder if the French ask for doggy bags?
So after all this discussion I was out for dinner at the weekend and after we'd finished there was some leftovers.

The waitress dropped off the bill and asked us "Is there anything else" . Recollecting this thread I eyed the plates and replied " Yes can you give it to me Doggy style " at which point she rushed off in tears and the manager threw me out.

Perhaps not every restaurant likes customers taking home their leftovers after all ??
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
So after all this discussion I was out for dinner at the weekend and after we'd finished there was some leftovers.

The waitress dropped off the bill and asked us "Is there anything else" . Recollecting this thread I eyed the plates and replied " Yes can you give it to me Doggy style " at which point she rushed off in tears and the manager threw me out.

Perhaps not every restaurant likes customers taking home their leftovers after all ??
That one actually made me laugh out loud - cheers
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
That sounds uncharacteristically snobbish of you!

I could eat Thai food every day ... I would imagine that's what most Thai people do ... I do hear that a lot - "we just ate Indian on Saturday" ... well, let's eat it again today!

For me, though - I simply push the limits of food storage - I will keep some leftovers for a week without hesitation ... my fridge has been described as something of a laboratory experiment ! I'm super careful with anything 'dairy' - once got sick eating leftover Cheesecake and will never go down that path again ... .
Don't forget I'm a southerner Steerpike - we all sound posh and snobbish to you
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
what chafed to me was his pronunciation of a global word. Pitzer. Pitzer! Please...
Had to chuckle at that, before I moved here in 05 I volunteered an evening a week as a recording tech for a talking newspaper for the Blind in a bizarre studio location in what had been a COG bunker under a London borough town hall. One of the readers was a frightfully well spoken >70 y.o. man in tweed who was most insistent on pronouncing the word as 'pitzer'.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
Had to chuckle at that, before I moved here in 05 I volunteered an evening a week as a recording tech for a talking newspaper for the Blind in a bizarre studio location in what had been a COG bunker under a London borough town hall. One of the readers was a frightfully well spoken >70 y.o. man in tweed who was most insistent on pronouncing the word as 'pitzer'.
My Grandma used to pronounce it like "pisser"
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:02 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
My ex's mother said pisa. Don't know why.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
When I was a kid, before I had ever seen, let alone eaten a pizza, I thought the restaurant chain was pisserland, I'd just stare at it from the bus stop, confussed. I was too embarrassed to even ask about it.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:57 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
When I was a kid, before I had ever seen, let alone eaten a pizza, I thought the restaurant chain was pisserland, I'd just stare at it from the bus stop, confussed. I was too embarrassed to even ask about it.

gawd, yeah remember when pizza wasn't a normal thing. It seemed exciting. Even the nasty "super saver" 10 in a bag cheese & onion pizzas
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I would never, ever consider taking leftovers home either, but that's because I'm a fat bastard.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The waitresses had to wear little 'Tyrolean' waistcoats which accentuated their boobs

And you could get a plate with 2 (tiny) slices of pizza, a baked potato and coleslaw
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:43 am
lush

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The waitresses had to wear little 'Tyrolean' waistcoats which accentuated their boobs

And you could get a plate with 2 (tiny) slices of pizza, a baked potato and coleslaw
OH! remember Spud-U-Like?? *drool*
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

On Friday, we went out for Indian food at our favorite spot in Scottsdale. Ordered Tandoori Chicken (whole, not half); Tandoori Fish; Goat Curry; and the usual extras. Any one dish was big enough for both of us, but we thoroughly enjoyed the variety of three dishes. We finished off the Fish because it was the least appropriate for reheating, and took 2/3rds of the chicken and 2/3rds of the Goat Curry home. Tonight (Monday) we had the Chicken and the Goat Curry for dinner. The Goat Curry was every bit as good second time around, and the chicken was still tender after reheating. We'll probably consume the final installment this week. The cost for everything on Friday was about $60 including beer ... so that will work out about $20 per meal for three delicious meals, and no cooking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.