Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wear one all the time now, sometimes I keep it on while at work or in a restaurant etc. I never realised until recently what a great headgear item a baseball cap is.. fortunately I have plenty to choose from, my kids left dozens here when they left home!
OK, so ... how many of you wear a 'cowboy' hat ... ? (not sure what the proper name is). Out here in AZ, keeping the sun off your head is pretty essential, and a baseball cap only partly fits the bill ... doesn't do much for the ears and neck. So I've been wearing a cowboy hat while hiking, and really like it. I'm currently wearing a $30 item that is pretty cheesy, more of a 'straw' hat than anything, but I've been eying this hat - an Australian 'bush' hat I guess - looks awesome, but not sure I'd dare wear it . Since it's $150, I'd better be sure .... http://www.akubra.com.au/products_heritage.html
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Culturally switched sides

Sure you can wear one and not look silly, you wear jeans and drive a rusty old pickup though right?

You have to follow hat etiquette as well though, one can’t simply wear a hat as one pleases because it's just not the done thing .
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:11 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Sure you can wear one and not look silly, you wear jeans and drive a rusty old pickup though right?

You have to follow hat etiquette as well though, one can’t simply wear a hat as one pleases because it's just not the done thing .
The rest of the hat etiquette (and I kid you not) is to make sure the ballcap doesn't look new. Back in the day, my son would take one and deliberately make it look somewhat battered and worn.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, so ... how many of you wear a 'cowboy' hat ... ? (not sure what the proper name is). Out here in AZ, keeping the sun off your head is pretty essential, and a baseball cap only partly fits the bill ... doesn't do much for the ears and neck. So I've been wearing a cowboy hat while hiking, and really like it. I'm currently wearing a $30 item that is pretty cheesy, more of a 'straw' hat than anything, but I've been eying this hat - an Australian 'bush' hat I guess - looks awesome, but not sure I'd dare wear it . Since it's $150, I'd better be sure .... http://www.akubra.com.au/products_heritage.html
http://www.akubra.com.au/images/prod...wn-preview.jpg
I always think of Australian bush hats as having lower crowns and one rolled brim. With a snakeskin band.......ala Crocadile Dundee, maybe? Actually, I think most "cowboy" hats are smart looking with the right clothes, although I have seen guys wearing a cowboy type hat and a suit! Oh, don't forget the "sh*t kickers"! You can wear those with almost anything these days.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

When the weather dictates, I wear one of these Australian hats.
Do not think I would wear it on th streets in UK, but in the US, it feels like more things are OK to wear.

http://www.barmahhats.com.au/foldaway.asp

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 25th 2011 at 2:35 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, despite me saying I "always" wear a baseball cap, I've had one of those Australian bush hats/ cowboy hats for years, and wear it outside quite a bit.. it is good for partial protection from flies (the brim disrupts deer fly behavior, keeps them orbiting a bit further from my head.)
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

$150.00 and it doesn't even have corks hanging from the brim?

What's the point?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Do not think I would wear it on th streets in UK, but in the US, it feels like more things are OK to wear.
http://www.barmahhats.com.au/images/1061CH_w_text.jpg
That's a really cool lid!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:32 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

The mister wants one of those Aussie-style hat. They sell them at the local tractor supply.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
$150.00 and it doesn't even have corks hanging from the brim?

What's the point?
You have to supply the corks yourself. A quick trip to the liquor store to get some wine in should do the trick.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:31 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Akubra. Make sure you try before you buy. Mine is ill-shapen. Wouldn't buy again unless I tried one on first.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
That's a really cool lid!
I think it's sexy,
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The rest of the hat etiquette (and I kid you not) is to make sure the ballcap doesn't look new. Back in the day, my son would take one and deliberately make it look somewhat battered and worn.
That’s baseball cap etiquette you’re thinking of, hat of choice for the the hoi polloi, which mostly consists of sitting around wearing said hat to drinking beer and polish firearms.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:34 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Charismatic
That’s baseball cap etiquette you’re thinking of, hat of choice for the the hoi polloi, which mostly consists of sitting around wearing said hat to drinking beer and polish firearms.
Being a Yank, born and bred, I know all about that, and being one of the hoi polloi,.......... well at least we're not lonely.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
http://www.barmahhats.com.au/images/1061CH_w_text.jpg
How much, and where did you buy it from?! looks great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.